Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3501 3502 [3503] 3504 3505 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854914 times)

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52530 on: July 07, 2018, 10:24:50 pm »

Curious thing- my dwarves still feed and give her water, despite her current state of mind (and hostility to the civilization). So, I will indefinitely have a crazy person in jail.

I like that, actually.

Yes. There seems to be a bug when a dwarf goes insane while in prison the job to release them never happens. As long as they're given food and water they'll remain alive but if she's berserk sooner or later someone will try and kill her even though she's chained. I had this happen with a melancholy dwarf and I manged to keep them alive with food and water for eight years before turning them into a vampire but someone beat the berserk dwarf to death within two months.
I don't even think it's that- their sentence is gone entirely. There's not much else that could be done with them, mind you. Releasing them would be bad, so this... works?

When a chained dwarf goes insane a job to release them from the chain at the end of their sentence is never generated. The dwarves will leave them chained permanently unless you yourself order the chain deconstructed or a tantruming dwarf breaks it. It should work for as long as you can keep someone from killing or releasing her.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52531 on: July 07, 2018, 11:43:40 pm »

Right, but I don't think that's a bug. Where else would you want an insane dwarf such that they don't die?

The line between feature and bug in Dwarf Fortress can be a blurry one. I've never read anything from Toady about anything like this being implemented on purpose but I could always be wrong. Lets split the difference and call it an emergent feature. It probably wasn't intended, but it feels like it belongs anyway. One of the many little things that make the game so special.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52532 on: July 08, 2018, 01:39:56 am »

Now here's something I've never heard of before. I sent my military out to pillage a nearby site, and a bit after I noticed the combat reports indicator in the upper left. Worried it might be something problematic, I open it up and read the most recent entry, and find something very confusing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At first I'm worried the troll has gotten past my traps somehow, into my fortress, and attacked the departing merchants, until I notice it getting thoroughly dismembered by them towards the end of the log. I zoom to the location, and see that it did in fact happen down in the caves, and, getting a sudden thought, I open the unit list, find an elf merchant, and set it to follow them. As the screen follows them along I see them heading further from the entrance, out to the edge of the map, until they finally leave through the edge underground.

What I still don't understand though is why they entered on the surface like any reasonable merchants, went to my trade depot with no problems, and, with nothing blocking their path back the way they came, chose to path to the edge through the caves anyway. Hope those dumb elves have fun down there though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52533 on: July 08, 2018, 02:34:02 am »

My newly appointed militia commander is stuck outside with a human siege not too far away. They haven't spotted him yet.

Accomplished sworddwarf. Veteran of three sieges, conqueror of two human hamlets with thirteen kills to his name. He's not worried about being out in the sunshine, he's not complaining about the rain. As he keeps himself busy by hauling away the corpses that the rest of the dorfs have ignored all year, chucking them safely out of sight into the corpse pit, all his thoughts show are pages and pages of awesome 'felt nothing at seeing an elf corpse, felt nothing at seeing a dwarf corpse, felt nothing at seeing a human corpse...'.

Hardcore as he is, guess I'd better let him in before the humans close in.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:35:44 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52534 on: July 08, 2018, 01:26:25 pm »

I have a dwarf with a lung injury that causes chronic breathlessness. I made him a scholar, and now hes studying pulmonary (of the lungs, breathing) medicine.
I certainly didnt expect that.

Ive also conquered a nearby fortress belonging to a one-off civ. The first messenger i sent to request the return of most of the militia was a "tame" ant woman worker. She never came back. So im sending another out. Its only a days travel away...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52535 on: July 08, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »

I was in fact running 44.11 (although using a 43.05 origin fort) but either way I found it, using the magic of the trade depot screen, let me see there was a free pick axe very far away, and what kind and what quality, from there it was only a matter of going to the stocks, using the search function (I think that's a DFhack feature on this particular screen) and then going through all the ones of that type until I found it, found it among a bunch of other random things in one of those shaft things that show up and connect caverns, not sure how they got those things there without being able to get there, but I totally didn't use DFhack autodump to get the stuff out, no sir
Good to hear. What really matters for the "x" announcement option is what version the announcements were generated in. Maybe you were looking at a pre-0.44.11 announcement or something? If new "can't find item" job cancellation announcements don't have the "x" option, it might be worth reporting, since I'm pretty sure they're supposed to.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52536 on: July 09, 2018, 08:37:29 am »

I spend more time in advanced worldgen generating seeds than doing anything else in DF, trying to find my ideal world in a 33x33 region. I'm stupidly picky which means I rarely get far. So I finally decided to work out how to use the seemingly impenetrable painter. With the wiki holding my hand it actually wasn't too difficult. I practiced by making a dwarf. Then I tweaked the desired evil squares to turn him into a noble.

Now I'm trying a more natural-looking world to actual play in, but I've yet to work out how to make the painter produce large rivers in such a tiny region. I'm sure it's possible somehow...

Experimenting with a sort of crater-impact island design. Not happy yet, but progress is promising.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52537 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:44 am »

You need river valleys. Well, you can also draw them with biomemanipulator+regionmanipulator.

3 mountains of different colours is artistically neat.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:05:17 am by Fleeting Frames »

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52538 on: July 10, 2018, 09:12:45 pm »

Made a new fortress with a goal of subjugating all the elves in the world, seems like I'm not the only one with the same goal:
Does anyone know exactly what being "economically linked" to me entails?

edit: oh and this ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:22:27 pm by shikushiku »

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52539 on: July 11, 2018, 03:02:24 am »

"Ral Nakutheral, Manager, has created Othilasol, a yak bone shield!"

(Othilasol in English is "Weakenedseize". Not a good omen for the dorf who picks up this shield, I guess.)
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52540 on: July 11, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »

I just created a new fort, randomly generated world.  When I chose the embark point, it was labeled as "joyous wilds."  However, I noticed it was very close to an evil biome, as well.  I thought I had embarked entirely in the good biome, but it apparently has a piece of Evil biome.  I get interesting spawns, to say the least.  A lot of undead flying things (giant sparrows and crows, mostly).  My favorite thing about this fort, however, is that is is almost always raining or snowing... elf blood.  I'm not sure if this is from the good or evil biome.
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52541 on: July 11, 2018, 08:50:10 pm »

I just created a new fort, randomly generated world.  When I chose the embark point, it was labeled as "joyous wilds."  However, I noticed it was very close to an evil biome, as well.  I thought I had embarked entirely in the good biome, but it apparently has a piece of Evil biome.  I get interesting spawns, to say the least.  A lot of undead flying things (giant sparrows and crows, mostly).  My favorite thing about this fort, however, is that is is almost always raining or snowing... elf blood.  I'm not sure if this is from the good or evil biome.
Zoom to where the elf blood lands. If none of it lands in the grass and dirt, and the blood is only in the trees and on top of walls, then the issue is the evil biome extends into your "air zone" (anywhere above the surface layer is evil biome) and this might greatly effect any construction efforts above the surface. I've had evil mists arrive in my surface towers, reanimations, etc, but all above the ground level.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52542 on: July 13, 2018, 11:47:03 am »

It looks like I have a strip show going on in my tavern, two completely nekkid elves are hanging out there. Well its scorching climate so whatever, but then one of them petitioned: "The Glittery Balls wishes to reside in Fingerwhips". There goes my resolve not to accept any performers.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52543 on: July 13, 2018, 04:08:01 pm »

One of the first 7 dwarves immediately runs off to fish and is predictably killed by a giant alligator he decided to fight with his fishing pole. 

Things go fine for a bit after that.  First migrant wave shows up, no traders yet, and this reminds me to appoint a manager / broker. 

Then this happens a few moments later:

This brings up the problem of how to satisfy the inevitable spam of mandates for production of 4 or more things at once I almost definitely won't have materials for, not to mention their desire for quarters / offices / dining rooms / tombs better than I can reasonably make this early on while trying to make the useful dwarves happy...   then I remember the giant alligator hanging out near the river...   Should I draft them and tell them to go take care of the pesky "little, definitely little" alligator basking near the river while I get their quarters built, or try to keep the dual barons happy and figure out why there are two of them at once?  Decisions, decisions.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52544 on: July 13, 2018, 04:24:16 pm »

So I've had a particular dwarven scholar who for the last four years has been making yearly pilgrimages to my library. After their most recent visit they petitioned for residency in order to continue their studies. I accepted and only after did I realize this dwarf was a trouble maker who "cracks easily under pressure" and has thrown tantrums for most of their visits. I never noticed because they never did any serious damage and obviously weren't around very long anyway. Glancing through the justice screen I saw that some charges, rather old charges, were now reported as being the work of the scholar. He was already haggard when he joined so I figured some time in a luxury prison would do him good. I set him up comfortably and got an injury from a fight several years ago finally treated. I even arraigned a meeting with the mayor in his cell.

After a few months he didn't seem to be improving but he wasn't getting worse at least. His prison sentence was up and new accommodations were provided. The captain of the guard dutifully arrived to release him from his chain...and promptly beat him senseless breaking both his elbows.

Now he's gone from haggard to harrowed and he's standing in a corner of my tavern clutching a mug of wine in his jaws. He'll either stand there with busted elbows trying to use his one grasping part left to lift and drink the wine with his mouth but of course he can't because his mouth is busy grasping the mug. I'm trying to decide if I should forbid all the mugs thus allowing him to dunk his head in the pot like his ancestors or just let him stand there until he dies of thirst.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:27:25 pm by Hiarhu »
Pages: 1 ... 3501 3502 [3503] 3504 3505 ... 3836