Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3503 3504 [3505] 3506 3507 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5845139 times)

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52560 on: July 16, 2018, 08:23:04 pm »

This merchant showed up.  I think I heard the dwarves giggling at the name. 

I also found the most hardcore dwarf who migrated here.  He apparently decided to go genocidal on the local fauna and beast-men wherever this was...  he was a weaver who was competent in spear.  He's in the militia now:

The Kills of Kivish Koganvod
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52561 on: July 16, 2018, 11:55:38 pm »

A forgotten beast just killed 42 of my dwarves and ended my mountain peak nano fort.
Darn. What was it made out of, and what abilities did it have? Also:
Reclaim Time!!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52562 on: July 17, 2018, 08:50:05 am »

So, looks like necromancers in fortress mode can continue to give birth.

This particular one has had several children post secret-learning.  I expect she's going to have a lot of children, especially once I turn her husband immortal, too.

Since they're "undead" in most aspects, I expected them to be sterile.  I didn't see this anywhere, so I added it to the wiki!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52563 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:59 am »

The question is, are the kids born with knowledge of life and death? Or are they unburdened with terrible knowledge, and thus fair game for the necromancer's minions if she's unfortunate enough to give birth in the middle of them?

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52564 on: July 17, 2018, 10:03:46 am »

The question is, are the kids born with knowledge of life and death? Or are they unburdened with terrible knowledge, and thus fair game for the necromancer's minions if she's unfortunate enough to give birth in the middle of them?

As far as I can tell they're totally normal, non-undead dwarves.

I can do a bit of science, though.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52565 on: July 18, 2018, 02:28:02 am »

The king of my civ suddenly died. He had been a king for only 1 year, so I got suspicious and decided to look him up in Legends. Turns out he was struck down by the mayor with a weapon called "Crestbust And the Coming Troubles".  The weapon was... an iron-bound book. With three other kills.

The prose was not awful, but not very good either.

The pen is mightier than the sword, I guess. I need this book in my collection asap.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #52566 on: July 18, 2018, 03:17:17 am »

If only the content of the book could relate to the murder of the king, this would be perfect

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52567 on: July 18, 2018, 03:23:51 am »

The fort is almost five years old. Enormous circular halls carved out of diorite and native gold is the opulent home to the king of all dwarves and a hundred of his subjects. And let me tell you, they are absolutely miserable. First we had the great starvation of '52 after a hydra chased away the traders. Never ending toil to build battlements and ramparts have left many dwarves traumatized by snow storms. More often than not the goblins have laid siege to the fort. Their bowmen sniping the cats as they stroll along the walls. The original miner, legendary he was, died from his injuries after a underground accident when we were desperately building a cistern to provide water for our injured dwarves. His wife was distraught (but remains the most content dwarf in the fort). The original carpenter was murdered by the captain of the guard who threw a tantrum fit. No sentence pending. In the wake of tantrums and invading troglodytes half of the meager militia are equipped with crutches instead of weapons. But the steadfast soldier on, and our strength is yet to be broken.
"It's unpossible!"

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52568 on: July 18, 2018, 03:28:42 am »

The king of my civ suddenly died. He had been a king for only 1 year, so I got suspicious and decided to look him up in Legends. Turns out he was struck down by the mayor with a weapon called "Crestbust And the Coming Troubles".  The weapon was... an iron-bound book. With three other kills.

In my fort a monster slayer went to hunt some troglodytes in the caverns and tried to bash them in the head with a book called "An Exploration of Animal Diets". Unfortunately things didn't go so well for the monster slayer and he ended up being swarmed by the trogs and pummelled to death with his sock.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52569 on: July 18, 2018, 05:56:19 am »

Oddly there's almost no FPS hit from everything above ground being on fire and collapsing, but the collapse warnings are making it just as bad.

You can edit the announcements file in the init folder to prevent pausing and centering the camera on a collapse. Just find this [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] and make it look like this [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]  Remember that collapsing trees can punch a hole in your roof if you've dug out the space below them and if you turn off the announcement you might not realize it until it causes a problem.

Thanks!

I knew there had to be something. I'll remember that if I need it, rain started up and the rest of the fires burned themselves out after a little while.  I was fairly careful to avoid roof areas with trees growing on top since I embarked in a half-forest / half-mountain biome.  Most of the collapses were happening far away from any construction.  Oddly I had a different fortress with the warnings turned on where something kept poking holes in the roof of a tunneled soil area that was hit during exploratory mining but nothing ever popped up and there were no cave-in effects (dust, etc).  Nothing attacking seemed to want to path to it, either, even though it should have been climbable and was a direct path into the base. 

Anyway,

The last events were immediately followed by a tantruming dwarf being cursed to become a were-lizard for knocking over a temple statue, and another goblin siege:  The 13 trolls and 9 beak dogs arrived at the gates first, and were slaughtered in record time by the tiny number of remaining militia members.  The 43 goblins remaining took one look at the bloody mess covering the scorched and smoldering landscape in front of the gates and ran for the hills.

Militia Commander, who has a fun inventory and is an impressive troll killer:

Marksdwarf:

A farmer by trade who was drafted for the last siege: 

A professional fish cleaner wrestled one of the trolls to death, apparently having decided not to pick up a weapon:

Another draftee gets his first taste of troll blood:

The remaining troll is now in a cage trap, waiting to be given something fun to do. 

No sooner do the sane dwarf crew remaining rush out to rebuild the two front doors that were torn apart by trolls and clean up the gigantic mess of gore and troll armor that will block them from closing, a new threat arrives: 

The Bronze Colossus Redari Irecisaro Vicíthène has come!  A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem.

Buon giorno, Redari.  Che cazzo fai?  Non preoccuparti del sangue...

Sigh... I should have known joining a civilization called The Sacks of Clenching would be a bad career move. 

Well, if I can get the non-tantruming dwarves left over to wall up the front gates while a ballista is built, and the human trade caravan waiting for a depot that no longer exists holds him off for a bit...  that or do some creative tunneling towards the brook to the south.  Most of the militia are wounded and recovering and the farmer hauling the hand has recently thrown a tantrum so things aren't looking so great in that regard... and the commander and his favored silver scimitar may do so great against bronze.

It appears I've missed a crucial feature of Dwarf Fortress all this time...

How are you getting the ingame text along with colors copied and pasted?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52570 on: July 18, 2018, 09:41:53 am »

There's a "forum-dwarves" DFHack script that can do that.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52571 on: July 18, 2018, 11:20:34 am »

On my never-ending quest to make a happy fun zone where nobody is allowed to be sad, I've noticed that a lot of the traumatizing of dwarves in the new versions is due to seeing sentients die, or their corpses--even including our enemies, unfortunately. So I've taken a new strategy to solve both problems in my new fortress. The passage leading into the entrance to the fort is lined with cage trap upon cage trap. When enemies come, I set the alert that makes everyone get inside, and wait for all the enemies to get trapped in cages. When it's over, I take off the alert, and my dwarves rush out to reload the traps and haul the caged enemies off.

The only stockpile in my fortress that accepts cages (except empty cages and caged dwarves) is basically a QSP, except in place of the single-tile stockpile the minecart dumps into, there's a shaft channeled all the way down to the magma sea. The haulers dutifully bring the caged enemies to the feeder stockpile, then load them into the minecart and tip it over, sending them plummeting down, until they hit the magma flow and evaporate. The haulers have an 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude apparently, so they don't have any bad thoughts from the goblins dying a few dozen z-levels down, and it doesn't leave corpses around for citizens to get PTSD from.

I still have a well-equipped military, of course, but that's for conquering and handling trapavoid threats, mainly.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52572 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:02 pm »

I made a sweet contraption to try and breed wild gremlins.  Gremlines are intelligent, and can be trained.  That means I can turn them into little servants for the necromancers in this (tower) fort.

I've read that tame gremlin babies thirst to death, though, because of terrible mothers, and that adult undomesticated gremlins can be a pain in the ass.  So, I locked two up in a contraption.  Once the babies were born, the war-dog was supposed to scare them into the opposite room.  Then, a cave-in trap was gonna be used to catch them (they're trap avoiders).  Once they grew from babies to children, I'd domesticate them, and they could then take care of themselves.

I left them in for over a year and no babies.  Decided to just tame them.  We'll see if we can get them to marry and give birth!

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52573 on: July 18, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »

I made a sweet contraption to try and breed wild gremlins.  Gremlines are intelligent, and can be trained.  That means I can turn them into little servants for the necromancers in this (tower) fort.

I've read that tame gremlin babies thirst to death, though, because of terrible mothers, and that adult undomesticated gremlins can be a pain in the ass.  So, I locked two up in a contraption.  Once the babies were born, the war-dog was supposed to scare them into the opposite room.  Then, a cave-in trap was gonna be used to catch them (they're trap avoiders).  Once they grew from babies to children, I'd domesticate them, and they could then take care of themselves.

I left them in for over a year and no babies.  Decided to just tame them.  We'll see if we can get them to marry and give birth!

You are attempting one of my longest held unfulfilled dwarf fortress goals. I've tried gremlin breeding in order to get a sustainable population of gremlin citizens dozens of times over several years. I've never had a successful birth, mostly due to the luck based nature of capturing breeding gremlins so I hope you have better success.

Use Dwarf Therapist to check the orientation of the gremlins, the first time I thought I'd actually captured a breeding pair the male had no interest in females.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52574 on: July 18, 2018, 02:37:45 pm »

You are attempting one of my longest held unfulfilled dwarf fortress goals. I've tried gremlin breeding in order to get a sustainable population of gremlin citizens dozens of times over several years. I've never had a successful birth, mostly due to the luck based nature of capturing breeding gremlins so I hope you have better success.

Use Dwarf Therapist to check the orientation of the gremlins, the first time I thought I'd actually captured a breeding pair the male had no interest in females.

That's gay.
Pages: 1 ... 3503 3504 [3505] 3506 3507 ... 3836