Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3504 3505 [3506] 3507 3508 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854479 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52575 on: July 18, 2018, 08:52:49 pm »

Yes. Yes it is.

I remember when homosexuality came out that the rate was ridiculous high, maybe because toady wanted to be sure to see some instances while testing, so it was hard to get a breeding pair with you on embark, much less trough trading.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52576 on: July 19, 2018, 06:51:20 am »

Quite possible that he just forgot to tweak the numbers back after testing, yeah. But really, the game just wouldn't be the same without fun times like the Gibbon Era or Dwarven Weightloss Saunas.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52577 on: July 19, 2018, 08:43:40 am »

It wasn't a high rate of homosexuality - it was a high rate of animals being "unwilling to commit", leading to them not breeding, even though they were heterosexual.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52578 on: July 19, 2018, 10:50:20 am »

We're hiding from the siege, so the humans are very bored there at the map edge, throwing tantrums to pass the time. Looks like tantrums never result in punches if something throwable is at hand. Most get dodged or reflected of course, but one ressourceful guy found a really effective weapon, forget heavy armor pieces, weaponize vermin:

Main source of death there is actually thirst, once insanity hits they remember that food and drink are things humans supposedly need. Its still a slow process to take out a whole siege, but construction of our trap tunnel is equally slow.

In completely unrelated news, Oja Lunchesstill became Lady of The Society of Cake, ruling a nearby village. I think I like her.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52579 on: July 19, 2018, 12:09:12 pm »

But really, the game just wouldn't be the same without fun times like the Gibbon Era or Dwarven Weightloss Saunas.
Not gonna lie, lost way more dwarves from trying stupid tricks than sieges.
Lava waterfall!
In a time before time, I had a name.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52580 on: July 19, 2018, 12:26:08 pm »

Quite possible that he just forgot to tweak the numbers back after testing, yeah. But really, the game just wouldn't be the same without fun times like the Gibbon Era or Dwarven Weightloss Saunas.
May I have links to both of those?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52581 on: July 19, 2018, 01:25:19 pm »

Uhh, they weren't specifically isolated events, just certain updates that had unexpected features, which resulted in a lot of people discovering said unexpected features, for better or worse. And I'm having a hard time finding the exact updates that featured these oddballs, since they weren't exactly listed on the roadmap.

The "Gibbon Era" was when Toady was fleshing out jungle mobs a bit more, and did some research to make sure everything was nice and realistic. This was when he discovered just how god damn many kinds of gibbon there are. In a heroic attempt to maintain his legendary standard of detail and realism, Tarn set about adding as many of them to the game as possible.

This resulted in a flooded animal pool for jungles, meaning that almost every single animal encountered in a semi-jungle environment was a gibbon in one way or another. And there were just so, so many gibbons...

The "Dwarven Weightloss Sauna" update was right around when flesh layers (skin, muscle, fat, hair) were first implemented. Temperatures were also being tweaked, and there were special provisions allowing creatures to treat air around lava as being much cooler than it actually would be, in order to allow for things like magma forges to exist and be used.

However, water conducts heat very well, and what people found was that dwarves (and other creatures) that were standing in water or that had a water covering from swimming or waterfalls were getting much hotter than those dwarves who stayed dry.

The reason these saunas were of the "weightloss" variety was because although not directly harmful/fatal (for the most part), the temperature these wet dwarves reached was higher than the melting point of bodyfat. This resulted in the fat layers inside living dwarves melting into a liquid state and then falling out of their bodies onto the ground, leaving the skin and other layers intact.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52582 on: July 19, 2018, 02:00:16 pm »

Yeah I knew about the whole water melting fat thing, I just thought it was like Dwarven Child Care in that it was an organized attempt to exploit things..

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52583 on: July 19, 2018, 02:03:23 pm »

Oh, that happened too. People would remove all the fat from dwarves so that there'd be fewer "vulnerabilities" on dwarves, since fat could bleed or be otherwise injured. The weightloss saunas were honestly what eventually evolved into Child Care after a couple supersoldier programs.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52584 on: July 19, 2018, 07:32:42 pm »

Not much is going on inside my fort, honestly, but there is this... one... minor detail about the fort name

LANCEFONDLED? LANCEFONDLED! GOD DAMN.... OF ALL THE NAMES....

LANCEFONDLED! BRILLIANT ****ING NAME! WHAT'S NEXT, SCEPTERMOLESTED?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:35:40 pm by ReynTheLord »
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52585 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:11 pm »

Oh, that happened too. People would remove all the fat from dwarves so that there'd be fewer "vulnerabilities" on dwarves, since fat could bleed or be otherwise injured. The weightloss saunas were honestly what eventually evolved into Child Care after a couple supersoldier programs.
Ah, fond memories.  As I recall, weren't hot embarks downright lethal because the rain would boil the fat right off dwarves? 

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52586 on: July 20, 2018, 02:10:55 am »

Year 1, first caravan just left. 20 pop. They all arrived within a week of me opening the tavern. AAaaugh!!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52587 on: July 20, 2018, 11:09:39 am »

Must be some story. At least you have some weapons from them

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52588 on: July 20, 2018, 03:14:15 pm »

I barely have anything set up, forts brand new, not even a whole year in... and, mid winter.

Welp. Good game
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52589 on: July 20, 2018, 03:30:16 pm »

I barely have anything set up, forts brand new, not even a whole year in... and, mid winter.

Welp. Good game
Just lock the door, wall it up, and hope whoever who is stuck outside can deal with it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 3504 3505 [3506] 3507 3508 ... 3836