Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3518 3519 [3520] 3521 3522 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844249 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52785 on: September 14, 2018, 06:00:19 pm »

I've wondered frequently just how intelligent egg layers would be handled in DF... I don't think I was prepared for this.
Fixed.

In my case, a roc attacked the fortress. Again. Mowed through livestock and traders alike, I sent the crossbowdwarfes out to take care of things and they proved remarkably ineffective. Apparently training is low on their priority list.
A hammerdwarf, who was just on his way to the depot for new socks, got tired of the roc's crap. When it flew low enough he casually broke its wing, slammed it facefirst in the ground to stun it, and then kicked it in the head, fracturing its skull.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52786 on: September 15, 2018, 01:55:22 am »

Yeah, it's creepy.

@Kagus: There was a thread with snail and snake people a good amount of time back. Ones being born adults (provided you can keep the egglayers from eating their own young), they're born with typical skill distribution for migrants (due the lack of BABY stage), which is marked improvement. Ones born as CHILD still have skills child may use (partying skills).

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52787 on: September 15, 2018, 03:48:21 am »

As Uz is the only masked lovebird person in the fortress, her eggs aren't fertilized, but still it was quite a shock...

Another thing I noticed was that she isn't staying to incubate the eggs but goes immediately back to sparring after dropping her load off to a nest box. I wonder if it's currently even possible for egg layer citizens to reproduce in Fortress mode?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:52:26 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52788 on: September 15, 2018, 07:14:14 am »

As Uz is the only masked lovebird person in the fortress, her eggs aren't fertilized, but still it was quite a shock...

Another thing I noticed was that she isn't staying to incubate the eggs but goes immediately back to sparring after dropping her load off to a nest box. I wonder if it's currently even possible for egg layer citizens to reproduce in Fortress mode?

You can always try dfhacking a male or using lua for medically assisted fertilization.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52789 on: September 15, 2018, 08:09:17 am »

@Staalo: The previous research I mentioned is proof positive for yes.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52790 on: September 15, 2018, 07:23:26 pm »

Beware the alcoholic goblin, they love a good brawl every couple of months and they don't seem to mind it being lethal. I just had one down a drink in the tavern then chuck his goblet at a human poet hard enough to bruise his lung, follow that up by taking on four others. One dwarf dead, several dozen broken bones and one missing foot (goblin's a miner). He really didn't like that first poet. He doesn't even seem to mind the beatings or at least he isn't taking it personally. "I was beaten as punishment, I am not filled with loathing"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:30:04 pm by Hiarhu »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52791 on: September 16, 2018, 05:30:41 am »

It seems trade caravans are somewhat put off by the rotting goblin body parts hanging in various trees on the approach to our fortress.

Time for some clear-felling, I think.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52792 on: September 16, 2018, 06:00:08 am »

I've never had friendly neighborhood goblins, even though a third of my civ are goblins and indeed move around from site to site. On the other hand the enemy civ recruits almost all of their dwarf minority into armies.
This makes for some interesting social dynamics as my civ gets more multicultural over time while the enemy civ pretty much uses dwarves as a caste and overrepresents them in the army. Second-hand holocaust.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52793 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:44 am »

One of my citizens has some... interesting thoughts...

"He felt free remembering clothes rot off of his body."
"He personally is affronted by the whole notion of maintaining decorum and finds so-called dignified people disgusting (due to wearing old clothing in 506)"
"He is shameless, absolutely unfazed by the thoughts of others, a strengthening after wearing tattered clothing in 508"

???

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52794 on: September 16, 2018, 07:06:04 am »

So, a nudist. Ah, to be clad only in the blood and vomit of your peers! Oh, freedom!

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52795 on: September 16, 2018, 09:42:40 pm »

Scepters within scepters.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52796 on: September 17, 2018, 07:12:27 am »

"He felt free remembering clothes rot off of his body."
Funny thing, I was just giggling at the exact same quote in my fort. Can't really criticise the dwarves, though; I really should get my textile industry in order. Wear and tear has been... higher than expected lately.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52797 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:48 am »

How do people like to set up their clothing industries, since we're on the topic? What's the uniform of your fort's civilian sector?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52798 on: September 17, 2018, 01:36:27 pm »

It varies. In the past, I've used 10 stock of carvan-leather cloak/shoes/trousers/ bone and leather armour as civilian uniform /everyone trains in military/clothing is exotic import.

Oddly, I've produced more paper than cloth out of plants....

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52799 on: September 17, 2018, 01:45:41 pm »

How do people like to set up their clothing industries, since we're on the topic? What's the uniform of your fort's civilian sector?

Playing a drow civilisation. (a mod)

I have my clothesmakers turning out all the clothing items available to my civilisation, that fit under the armour items available to my civilisation. Then I let the civilians pick whatever clothing they feel like.

I have them making dresses, trousers, shirts, short skirts, gloves, face veils, hoods, socks, and cloaks.

Some drow will choose just to wear a dress to cover their upper & lower bodies, with socks & gloves to match. And a pair of leather boots from the leatherworkers.
Other drow will wear trousers and shirts underneath their dress. And put a hood and cloak on top too.

I trade metal crafts for as much cloth as the visiting caravans will bring. And bone crafts too.
The metal and bone used for these crafts are the main imports from the goblin civilisation nearby.  :P

The fort also has several farm plots, to make fibrous plants for cloth & paper.
Pages: 1 ... 3518 3519 [3520] 3521 3522 ... 3836