Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3519 3520 [3521] 3522 3523 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854104 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52800 on: September 17, 2018, 01:56:46 pm »

How do people like to set up their clothing industries, since we're on the topic? What's the uniform of your fort's civilian sector?

Playing a drow civilisation. (a mod)

I have my clothesmakers turning out all the clothing items available to my civilisation, that fit under the armour items available to my civilisation. Then I let the civilians pick whatever clothing they feel like.

I have them making dresses, trousers, shirts, short skirts, gloves, face veils, hoods, socks, and cloaks.

Some drow will choose just to wear a dress to cover their upper & lower bodies, with socks & gloves to match. And a pair of leather boots from the leatherworkers.
Other drow will wear trousers and shirts underneath their dress. And put a hood and cloak on top too.

I trade metal crafts for as much cloth as the visiting caravans will bring. And bone crafts too.
The metal and bone used for these crafts are the main imports from the goblin civilisation nearby.  :P

The fort also has several farm plots, to make fibrous plants for cloth & paper.
this is partly because you can only add clothes in certain lineups. just like you can wear mitten sover gloves but not the other way round. so you cant add socks once you already wear boots. or a leggings over greaves or chainmail over fullplate.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52801 on: September 18, 2018, 12:02:53 pm »

How do people like to set up their clothing industries, since we're on the topic? What's the uniform of your fort's civilian sector?

I have my clothesmakers turning out all the clothing items available to my civilisation, that fit under the armour items available to my civilisation. Then I let the civilians pick whatever clothing they feel like.

I have them making dresses, trousers, shirts, short skirts, gloves, face veils, hoods, socks, and cloaks.

Some drow will choose just to wear a dress to cover their upper & lower bodies, with socks & gloves to match. And a pair of leather boots from the leatherworkers.
Other drow will wear trousers and shirts underneath their dress. And put a hood and cloak on top too.

I trade metal crafts for as much cloth as the visiting caravans will bring. And bone crafts too.
The metal and bone used for these crafts are the main imports from the goblin civilisation nearby.  :P

this is partly because you can only add clothes in certain lineups. just like you can wear mitten sover gloves but not the other way round. so you cant add socks once you already wear boots. or a leggings over greaves or chainmail over fullplate.

Yeah, there is that effect.

But also, I looked in one of my citizen's cabinet in her room. She has 27 dresses in there, of various levels of wear.   ???

another citizen, he had 17 shirts, some did not seem to be worn at all, and 5 trousers. That guy had several thoughts about "putting on something extravagant".  :-\

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52802 on: September 18, 2018, 02:42:17 pm »

Yeah, there is that effect.

But also, I looked in one of my citizen's cabinet in her room. She has 27 dresses in there, of various levels of wear.   ???

another citizen, he had 17 shirts, some did not seem to be worn at all, and 5 trousers. That guy had several thoughts about "putting on something extravagant".  :-\
oh... i haven't gotten myself into arranging my dorfs' possessions yet - only tried that out in adv.mode.
maybe he wants a dress, goes fetch one, finds he already wears another item blocking it and üuts the dress in the cabinet and still wants a dress, so he goes fetch... :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52803 on: September 19, 2018, 07:48:03 pm »

The Plank of Vising sent us out to found the Dwarven Fortress of Vesselblow, under the leadership of The Tin Channel.

Our site selection was quite particular:

We wanted a location where both Rhinoceroses and Elephants would roam, as well as their Giant variants. We have embarked with a river splitting our embark, and we shall produce a bridge with plenty of cage traps in which to capture our future War beasts. We are also hoping for a wide variety (of regular and Giant types) of large cats.

Additionally, we wanted ample supplies of Sand and Fire Clay for crafting, and Hide Root has been spotted growing nearby. We fully expect Human caravans to be carrying Blade Weed within a year or two, so we should be fairly self-sufficient for the time being.

our location is strategically placed on the far side of the Goblin civilization's borders from our Mountainhomes. We expect to be on our own, and will be attempting to draw the attention of all 6 goblin pits nearby, so that the Mountainhomes themselves have time to prepare. At the moment, the Fortresses of Figurebrown and Foughtsalves alone have just over the population of the Goblins.

But they breed like Cavies, do not die of old age, and are not shy about conquest.

May Armok spend our blood well, for we know it shall flow before this fort is lost.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52804 on: September 20, 2018, 03:30:13 am »

Limestone 13th, Year 26. Year 1.75 of Vesselblow

We have not recieved a Dwarven Liason this year. We fear the worst.

All of our War Dogs were left behind when we captured what is now the Dark Dwarven Pits of Scorpionmists. The first generation of Fortress-bred War Dogs are about to mature. What we fear to be our civilization's final caravan has brought us a number of dogs that will quickly be trained for war. Both members of the Avalances of Searching are setting out to conquer Renownedmaligns, while combat preparations continue at home.

The Goblin Pits of Dungeonwonder seem to have emptied out, our intelligence reports that the Pits, a short trip away, used to contain over 100 Goblins. There are now around 40. However, The Goblin Fortress of Foughtsalves now has a population of approximately 100. The Hillocks of Figurebrown, a short distance away from Foughtsalves, now has a population of around 50.

We will be moving quickly to secure the south, taking the Dark Pits of Clutchedmalign, Dungeonwonder, Renownedmaligns, and the river Pits of Seducetempted that guard the river that leads (Led? gods I need a drink) directly to Dwarven territory. Once the South, and our flanks, are secure, we shall turn our sights North, and reconquer Foughtsalves itself.

We shall leave Malignedfrills to rot by itself, while we help our brothers and sisters free themselves from Goblin oppression.

We were never intended to be a military colony. Instead, we were to have been an economic base, housing backup breeding pairs of all of our dwarven animals, while we attempted to train both regular and Giant Rhinoceroses and Elephants.

But now our hand is forced.

We number but 25 Dwarves (an order passed down from the Mountainhome--"No more than 25 Dwarves shall live here") including the three children, but we have access to native ferrous ores, Flux, and some of our miners have spotted Adamantium.

We are arrayed against 220 Goblins, at least 100 combined Goblins and Dwarves--as well as all the resources and defenses--that now live in the Mountainhome, Foughtsalves, itself.

And with no liaison, we fear that we may be the final Dwarf Fortress in this world.

That all others have been conquered by the Goblins.

If we are to die, we shall die well.

And die gloriously.

We must not---

We will not fail.

As Asmel "Adama" Townbolted says every night when he leads our chant:

Armok help us all.

ARMOK HELP US ALL.

ARMOK HELP US ALL!

Limestone 15.

the goblin Gerthu Bellsmanors was beheaded, and control of the Dark Dwarf Pits of Renownedmaligns has been established. We are recalling Iton to train up the Mountainhome's final shipment of War Dogs, and will then be unleashed against the 30 Goblins of Clutchedmalign.

Once the Goblins there are crushed and the leader beheaded, we shall march on the Goblins' former capital, the Dark Goblin Pits of Dungeonwonder, with all 40 of its Goblins.

Though Iton, our Founder and Warlord, shall remain behind while Zon tests the site, to see if the Goblins' demon has remained in their pit.

Apparently the Elves have hunted down the demon, Osod the Fate of Death's slab, and are holding it along with several book artifacts.

Then we are tempted to hunt down the book "The Waxy Bunnies and Seduction, a pink garnet-bound codex. It consists of a 3 page poem entitled The Waxy Bunnies and Seduction, authored by Cana Dreamsaffron. It may just be elven tripe, but for some reason it has captured our attention.

Armok helps us all.

Armok helps us all!

ARMOK HELPS US ALL!

Limestone 18, Year 26

The first native daughter of the fort has been born.Tosid Mirroredgrasp.

While our Messenger and Warriors were away, we recieved a migrant. So our civilization is not entirely destroyed, merely the Mountainhome.

Sodel Nettwig will make an excellent scout, to see if the demon still lives.

.....Although.....four Goblins from Renownedmaligns are in good enough shape to be brought to our Fortress. We may be able to use THEM as scouts, an spare our dwarvish brothers and sisters.

When she comes of age, she shall be trained in the art of war, and shall lead our forces out of our Fortress to take over the world.

Our Puppies are beginning to mature. The most fit of these will be kept behind to breed up better puppies.

And then.....

And then......the rest of the War Dogs will be sent out to help conquer the Goblins.

Armok helps us all.

Armok helps us all!

ARMOK HELPS US ALL!!!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:34:36 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52805 on: September 21, 2018, 12:50:33 pm »

Toying around with placement of fruit gathering zones on tree branches:

||

||

Y'know, I've been making the zones continuous (as that's the default), but I think I should be also erasing most of them to ensure more up-to-27 results. Kinda pitiful to see single next to [22].

E: Hm. Tried it, didn't work like I hoped.

||
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:09:12 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52806 on: September 21, 2018, 04:24:46 pm »

Been building a water based Fort Defense. Note here. I am in a arctic region, and on a glacier. I just realized how Brutal that is for any invader caught into that thing...
Walking days if not weeks straight to get to the point to be able to attack that Dwarfen Fortress, hoping to finally feel some warmth, when suddenly, being in the chilly entry corridor you
hear heavy mechanisms moving and then get engulfed into icecold waters....

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52807 on: September 21, 2018, 04:29:12 pm »

Been building a water based Fort Defense. Note here. I am in a arctic region, and on a glacier. I just realized how Brutal that is for any invader caught into that thing...
Walking days if not weeks straight to get to the point to be able to attack that Dwarfen Fortress, hoping to finally feel some warmth, when suddenly, being in the chilly entry corridor you
hear heavy mechanisms moving and then get engulfed into icecold waters....
So... The Grinchinator?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52808 on: September 21, 2018, 05:19:37 pm »

Fancy name.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52809 on: September 21, 2018, 05:25:50 pm »

Fancy name.
Sorry, I cocked it up... It was called the Degrinchinator.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52810 on: September 22, 2018, 08:26:15 am »

I had a fort on a glacier with adjacent aquifer-bearing taiga, so went and built a super-budget version once - just a raising bridge cutting off the aquifer outflow which would automatically lower to let the water flow and freeze in the trap corridor inside the glacier. Since it was technically underground, the frozen gobbos needed digging out fast or they'd stink up the place.

Own fort: just before the autumn caravan arrived, a dwarf got a mood. Since it was an engraver, i wasn't paying attention initally, but for some reason my FPS proceeded to die horribly. Apparently it was a dwarf with no valid path to the chosen workshop?? Turns out it was the walled-off engraver/weretapir. I decided against trying to manage a were-mood and instead just forbade all craftsdwarf workshops, which restored FPS to normal. Six weeks later, the affected dwarf snapped and now we have a melancholic weretapir. Since she's melancholic in beast-shape, too, she might be no longer dangerous. Time to grant her a guinea pig pet and see what happens...

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52811 on: September 22, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »

I've been playing for a while and just had my first real !fun!  I'm incredibly conservative and usually putter around, get a small military and then lose interest and walk away.  Just came back after a couple years and started a new fort.  I'm loving some of the additions.  Just got my 2nd migrant wave and I'm up to 14 adults and 4 larva, when a werezebra comes and tears me a new one.  Picks off my hunter without me realizing it and then stomps a couple civilians that are in its way.  I slap together a small militia of miners and they get taken apart.  I draft everybody and...it morphs back into a human in the middle of a melee at my entrance.  My two war dogs shake it by the head until its dead. 

Total losses: 6 adults and 1 child.  And my expedition leader is all tore up.  And while it started out choking people, it did its best killing by bashing guys with a leather dress. 

I probably could come back, but I'm gonna let this one spiral out.  Awesome! :P

I know things like this happen, but its nice to witness it first hand.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:50:56 pm by Togre »
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52812 on: September 22, 2018, 03:05:00 pm »

I've been playing for a while and just had my first real !fun!  I'm incredibly conservative and usually putter around, get a small military and then lose interest and walk away.  Just came back after a couple years and started a new fort.  I'm loving some of the additions.  Just got my 2nd migrant wave and I'm up to 14 adults and 4 larva, when a werezebra comes and tears me a new one.  Picks off my hunter without me realizing it and then stomps a couple civilians that are in its way.  I slap together a small militia of miners and they get taken apart.  I draft everybody and...it morphs back into a human in the middle of a melee at my entrance.  My two war dogs shake it by the head until its dead. 

Total losses: 6 adults and 1 child.  And my expedition leader is all tore up.

I probably could come back, but I'm gonna let this one spiral out.  Awesome! :P

I know things like this happen, but its nice to witness it first hand.

In the future you might not want to send in your military, especially an untrained and unarmored militia after werebeasts. Even if they kill it a bite that breaks the skin, fat or muscle transfers the curse and any wounded dwarves will transform into werezebras on the next full moon. You can pen or chain some dogs around the map to act as an early warning system and get everyone inside behind some defenses as quickly as you can to avoid a slaughter/infection. Werebeasts are building destroyers as well so be prepared.

On the bright side assuming your dwarves don't go insane a full fort of werebeasts is possible, the fort will grind to a halt every full moon but the game won't end if all your dwarves are transformed. Just be aware that werebeasts will attack anything not a werebeast of the same species. It can be tricky and a great source of potential FUN to try though so if you're not interested just atom smash or apply magma to infected dwarves before they can turn.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52813 on: September 22, 2018, 04:29:54 pm »

DFHack's cursecheck does not, apparently, pick up dwarves cursed by a werethingie bite. Found that out the fun way.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #52814 on: September 23, 2018, 12:21:48 am »

Apparently, you shouldn't send in your entire military to kill berserk dwarves and not expect to get a loyalty cascade - just lost a Master Lasher (!) and an Elite Marksdwarf that way.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 3519 3520 [3521] 3522 3523 ... 3836