Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3524 3525 [3526] 3527 3528 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842762 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52875 on: October 15, 2018, 09:07:28 am »

I feel like you could make limited edition scrimshawed tokens from the teeth. Collect a full set!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52876 on: October 15, 2018, 11:11:46 am »

my fortress "Clenchjaw the guarded Bridge" which got its name from being a watchtower and a (series of) bridge(s) on the Spot where the Stream Clenchjaw coming from its Spring in the Northwest turns into a waterfall, flowing into the River Clenchjaw coming from its Spring in the Northeast, which then turns into a waterfall, flowing into the River Clenchjaw coming from its Spring in the Southwest and flows to the Southeast.
So far i only made the layout for the tower with stockpiles, built a tradedepot and stairwells downward, where the real fortress will be.
it is not a safe place to live yet,  but it will be the only safe Rivercrossing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:51:53 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52877 on: October 15, 2018, 07:33:51 pm »

I actually really like naming the fort after local feature, such as a river or brook.

I might start doing that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52878 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:28 am »

A fairy king (crazy shit i added) showed up and killed like five dwarves before being put down. Deadly for such a tiny bastard. Nobody seems too upset by this turn of events though, and i had the bodies interred. Im a bit upset though as one of them was a legendary weaponsmith that had just made an artifact and like one masterpiece iron warhammer. Wasnt done with that one...

Ive been turning away dozens of visitors a month since i opened the caverns to establish a well for drinking water. They dont seem to take no for an answer. Above all else, that is pretty annoying.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52879 on: October 16, 2018, 07:23:09 am »

The hamlet of Keskaleshtan (shotsmith) has an interesting history in less than two years.
Year 1.0: Lots of migrants, almost all related.
1.2: Things go really well
1.3: Cave croc attack, animals injured, mostly the chickens in the cave.
1.5: Dwarf injured by crock, the cheesmaker Oddom
1.5.1: Giant cave spider gets in, fail to notice, two die.
1.5.2: militia sent.
1.5.3: Militia walks around moving junk rather than fight, keep canceling and finally wander after the critter one at a time.
1.5.5: 50% of fort dead via spider
1.5.8: 99.99% of fort dead via spider
1.6: Oddom alive, he laid down below in the caves the whole time sobbing and begging for someone to carry him away safely. His injury? Crock bit his leg, no real injury but he bawled his eyes out over it.
1.7: Oddom now last survivor, spider leaves as legendary named cave spider for all the kills to its name. Dwarven militia in Shotsmith's will be remembered as horrible joke gone wrong.
Year 2: Oddom sole survivor, no shortage of food, drink nor things to do. Not enough hands to move corpses so they are left right where they are. Other priorities.

During the interim times to present Oddom found his dead wife, children, friends, family, etc. They are all dead. All of em. Caravan shows up eventually, he trades a bunk of junk and waits for migrants. 90% of his time is spent sobbing in a corner or pulling his hair out. Migrants show up, Oddom not alone anymore but doesnt want anything to do with them, wanders halls half of the time screaming and having conniptions. New dwarves start to do same, the horrors are just too much, corpses are now stored in with the food stockpile because there is no room yet. Every time they want a drink or something to eat they have to stare at a bloated, rotting dwarf corpses. But hey, fun!

More migrants how up, fort now divided, half are in a permanent mood while the others soldier on. Most are like Oddom now wandering around or a few ran through the halls screaming their lungs out. Oddom meanwhile is in charge of the place and hates it, he weeps forever for the loss of his dear wife. He never gets anything done anymore. Oddom keeps going into moods and the game registers he is no longer leader, he quit. Oddom leaves mood, game gives his title back, Oddom starts screaming again.

Game: "Good luck buddy! You got your job back!"

Oddom: "AAAGGGHHH!!!"

Strangely enough the one dwarf who finally snapped was a migrant not Oddom. The new captain of the guard... Poor feller just stopped moving one day, just stood there and died.

Update: 80%+ now have an EXTREME case of shell shock. They stumble around attacking shadows. An endless supply of mercenaries keep showing up wanting to stay so they can "eradicate monsters" but I am pretty sure they are referring to my dwarves now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:05:08 am by vekar »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52880 on: October 16, 2018, 09:56:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you story brought tears to my eyes. poor Oddom  :'(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52881 on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:33 pm »

I expect in some soon-to-be version we'll have dwarves that either petition to be allowed to leave, or who just up roots and flee the fortress before they end up insane.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52882 on: October 16, 2018, 06:16:57 pm »

Newest embark is right on top of a kobold cavern. I walled them in and they quickly resorted to cannibalizing their own eggs, which I was hoping to get my hands on.

Will they lay more eggs if I try to farm them? I'm leaning towards luring them all out into cage traps rather than just flooding their cavern or slaughtering them the hard way.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52883 on: October 16, 2018, 06:23:07 pm »

I an genuinely curious as to your plans for stealing kobold babies.

Quickedit: I'm starting a new fort anyone want a dorf? I'll make a thread if something neat starts to happen.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:41:01 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52884 on: October 16, 2018, 07:21:17 pm »

Quickedit: I'm starting a new fort anyone want a dorf? I'll make a thread if something neat starts to happen.
Ooh. As long as you're offering, make me the only Cook & Brewer. You can have all the Farmers you want, but your Dorfs will eat & drink by my whim (read: I'll need a really good bedroom).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52885 on: October 16, 2018, 07:29:52 pm »

Ooh. As long as you're offering, make me the only Cook & Brewer. You can have all the Farmers you want, but your Dorfs will eat & drink by my whim (read: I'll need a really good bedroom).

Unfortunately, wife has already nabbed this position, and for eerily similar reasons.

I can put you as another cook/brewer, though, and a founder at that! It's going to be a large fort so multiples will be necessary.

I've got one more founder spot open. It's also worth noting this is the most balanced-ideal spot I've ever found, with rad terrain, good alignment, piles of iron and flux, sand, clay, gold, the works. It's even temperate-warm. Gonna focus on building cool architecture.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:34:18 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52887 on: October 16, 2018, 08:47:27 pm »

Donezo. Will advise if anything neato happens.

Other news: Anyone interested in a 100% flat embark with an exposed lava tube? Same worldgen I'm playing in now, and I was under the impression these were nigh-impossible to get these days. I altered the world-gen to create as many cliffs as possible (There are some neat terrain spots scattered about as a result). It necessitates an "ignore all exceptions" gen, but it has no problem placing civs. Has shallow/deep metals, flux, soil.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:49:10 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52888 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:32 pm »

Unfortunately, wife has already nabbed this position, and for eerily similar reasons.
LOL.  I suppose that makes sense.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52889 on: October 23, 2018, 12:28:02 pm »

The dwarven city of Uzoldum (Oilmouths) suffered a military tragedy: all four squads of militia dwarves were slaughtered by the overwhelming masses of goblins and beakdogs. Only copper and bronze were available for weapons and the mountainhome was no help. Armed with their bronze clubs they took on the iron armed goblins in the narrow corridors and at first the mighty militia did well. Only two recruits fell in battle but the dwarven army marched forward and butchered the goblins as they came. The hall ran red with goblin blood and the corpses piled high and then at the peak of their triumph disaster struck... The commanders fell, the militia tired and goblin iron began to make for fatal blows, piercing the dwarven bronze armor. One by one the dwarves fell under the sheer weight of numbers that there thrown against them till only a handful remained. The last, a brave dwarf named Olon Oslanvucar fought his way out, hammering every goblin that got in his way. He killed and splattered goblins till he fought into the sunlight but a goblin in its dying throws chopped his right foot off. There he fell, swarmed by beak dogs and goblins, torn to blood ribbons.

Four did not die however, these four cowards hid when the order was given to "GO!" They hid down below and refused to go, they will go this time however. They will die in glorious combat to remove their shame. I shall name their squad "Geshak Mostod" or "Bait Shames."

The true tragedy came after though, a dwarf named Catten Tekkudbesmar saw the battlefield after the goblins left to chase gazel and the gates were thrown shut. He looked upon the battlefield and felt ashamed, he fled to the library and let out a horrific howl that shook the fort and took to a mood... He fled to the tannery and murdered a fellow dwarf, Adil Shigostulon. His creations name? Ushdishongos, "Saffrontained." It is a chest made of dwarf bones... It is encircled with dwarf bones... Value? 2400 dwarfbucks. Now we know how much Adil's life was worth.

The real tragedy here? I found a little iron now that the saga is over...

Update: Tekkud broke his chains, he is now in the bait squad, they are made up of deserters and psycho murderers now.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:50:55 pm by vekar »
Pages: 1 ... 3524 3525 [3526] 3527 3528 ... 3836