Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3541 3542 [3543] 3544 3545 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859614 times)

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53130 on: January 05, 2019, 01:34:38 pm »

Over a year and a half I had nothing attack my fort to launch my Weredwarf at.  She got taken by a secretive mood, and the FPS on my fort died as pathing was trying to find a way for her to get to the workshop through a locked door.  I had to let her out and she made me a artifact bed.  She then lied down in a bed in the hospital and hasn't moved since, dwarf form or were form.  She has tons of bad thoughts, and has been there completely naked since.  I'm going to replace the hospital wall with fortifications and station my Marksdwarf behind it to put her out of her misery when she transforms.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53131 on: January 05, 2019, 05:30:58 pm »

First goblin siege in this fort. One platoon of mixed goblins. The crossbow squad managed to pincushion a few of them, with no casualties for a change thanks to putting a roof on the fort structure so they cant climb out and commit suicide. Fuck that bug, by the way.

I let the melee teams rush out and they managed to completely overwhelm the invaders by sheer numbers with no fatalities and only one dwarf permanently out of service due to a broken lower spine. Every other injury proved temporary.

Theyve gone back to training and are starting to spar more frequently, so hopefully ill start to get some real professionals out of them in the future.

Our werewolf dwarf pal from a previous attack was accidentally released from his bunker only a week before his next transformation, and one dwarf was turned and many seriously injured thanks to the masterwork steel sword he happened to grab. The new werewolf-dorf is locked in one of the hospital rooms. Need to get him into the werewolf bunker somehow. Or maybe ill just atom smash him, that would be easier.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53132 on: January 06, 2019, 02:58:17 pm »

I prefer to play at the start of time. I find the game more relaxing, especially as I don't yet understand all of the mechanics. I gave my people a very large tavern, and I don't have too many instruments at the moment... seems like this civ prefers chanting in lines to the circular dances of my last fort. I always loved it when the dwarves got in a circle and danced.

My people had faced off against only two threats: a hydra and a forgotten beast (towering humanoid composed of grime, mandibles, poison sting). I had prepared a small militia, 4 squads of 10 soldiers each, a skirmishher squad with leather armor and personal preference for weappons, metal armored axedwarf squad, a metal armored hammerdorf squad, and an archer squad. The hydra was a legitimate threat who slaughtered 9, but the FB fell rather easily without a casualty. It did, however, take on a family of troglodytes before my militia got there, so that is probably what happened.

When I saved for the night last night, one of my dwarves had just been cursed by a god. So... Looking forward to learning how to deal with that. I give it a 3/4 chance I wall him off or kill him first chance I get

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53133 on: January 07, 2019, 08:27:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The snowball beast left the map almost immediately in what I presume was shame.

I had one of those, it melted before my militia could reach it. All they found when they charged it was a puddle.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53134 on: January 07, 2019, 10:30:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The snowball beast left the map almost immediately in what I presume was shame.

I had one of those, it melted before my militia could reach it. All they found when they charged it was a puddle.
But he waved goodbye, saying, "Don't you cry, I'll be back again someday."

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53135 on: January 07, 2019, 04:17:56 pm »

Somehow, my military dwarves keep dodging through a solid obsidian wall (with a roof over it) and into the volcano, where they fall a couple hundred z-levels and discover the magma sea. At least, that's what I think is going on.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53136 on: January 07, 2019, 04:19:12 pm »

If they're training, then yes. I suggest moving your training area. I've drowned many a dwarf in my moat because they took a detour through the wall.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53137 on: January 07, 2019, 05:22:18 pm »

If they're training, then yes. I suggest moving your training area. I've drowned many a dwarf in my moat because they took a detour through the wall.
making your walls 2 tiles wide can reduce that chance.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53138 on: January 07, 2019, 05:53:37 pm »

...so is dwarves jumping through walls a bug or a feature?
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53139 on: January 07, 2019, 06:19:42 pm »

Very much a bug. Dwarves are much too stocky to fit between atoms of obsidion. They barely make it through the air's atoms.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53140 on: January 07, 2019, 07:12:40 pm »

I suppose that makes sense, considering how poorly they fit through the atoms of a lowering drawbridge. Speaking of which, has anyone seen my mayor?

In other news, the elves stopped by my glacier embark to compliment me on not cutting down any of the trees that aren't growing here. They're not very bright.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53141 on: January 08, 2019, 12:53:41 am »

The hydra Nokast came and I laughed. The Forgotten Beast Nim Okon came I laughed. The Savanna Titan Immeth came, and the beast slew 24 before being destroyed.

Also, One of my people was cursed by the dwarven god of labor. I've expelled her from the fort, and now legends says that she is a vampire. I'm sorry, ingiz. I can never understand what you're going through, but you can't stay here. You are a danger to the others.

I now feel compelled to keep this young world and nurture fortress after fortress til a hundred years have passed, five hundred years have passed, so one, and see if ingiz survives. She had a very rough time in my fortress, and I feel for her

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53142 on: January 08, 2019, 02:47:28 pm »

I usually create containment vaults for citizens like that.

The hardest one to contain was the former general of my civ, who became a necromancer. He was strong enough to escape/break iron chains that held a giant, and was generally pale, leading me to suspect vampire necro (is this possible in worldgen? was never sure).

Luckily backup measures ensured he was recaptured, but it was a near thing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53143 on: January 08, 2019, 03:10:02 pm »

I started a new fort in the latest DF after not playing for a few RL years. I let my children name my starting seven.

'Idiot' prompted stood under the third tree she felled and tried to take it on.  'Toenails', fishing nearby, ran off in horror at the sight of Idiot's pulping death from willow logs. It took a bit before I got a coffin made but we managed to bury Idiot before any haunting could occur. And I've discovered we are close enough to a Tower to cause zombie sieges.

Man I've missed playing this game...

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53144 on: January 08, 2019, 06:16:45 pm »

I have a couple forts going at once, because... well.. *shrugs*
one of them I have a workshop restricted to low level weaponsmiths churning out giant axe blades that I promptly melt again since it gives me a bar and a half from one bar. I embarked around a volcano, and while I do have flux stone the only ore available is sphalerite. And a lot of lapis lazuli... wait where did that plump helmet man come from?
Another fort i'm *trying* to butcher some of my spare livestock in order to boost framerate despite not needing the meat, but as soon as i do that the animals promptly have more babies. /angrily shoos the cave crocodiles off the nestboxes
I also recently discovered that putting millstones next to each other powers them
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.
Pages: 1 ... 3541 3542 [3543] 3544 3545 ... 3836