Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3546 3547 [3548] 3549 3550 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842250 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53205 on: January 24, 2019, 04:22:02 am »

a goblin siege showed up and wiped out most of my fort. then the children went insane and started attacking the adults. i was down to a bunch of kids and the mayor, so i spammed full-heal and elevate-physical, then once the siege broke (i'm not sure how tbh) i forced a few migrant waves to come clean up the mess. there were a lot of coffins. and I still hadn't gotten them all buried when we had a surprise visit from a weretapir. two dwarves were bitten. one transformed out in the tombs, but the other transformed in the library. took a lot to put him down. and then everyone started brawling again. After i realized i was down to less than a dozen adults I forced another migrant wave, and they really only added to the carnage. i saw a ranger taking potshots at one of the kids ffs

[edit] i want it to hold out long enough so i can get some Boatmurdered-esque engravings made of the carnage.
also i tried to make a moving picture recording of them tearing around but it didn't really work...

Oh! I forgot to mention the fact that there is a goddamn forgotten beast roaming around that they are COMPLETELY IGNORING in favor of brawling with each other.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:23:12 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

hino_phantasm

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Back on the bay after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53206 on: January 25, 2019, 01:49:23 am »

I have to post a brief eulogy for the first fort I've played in 4 years.

Workripe started out fairly simply, with a good population going, and in terms of a return to DF, I couldn't be happier.

Until the werelizard showed up.
Long story short, my population went from 70 dorfs to just 3 after the vast majority of them were either turned into werelizards or eaten by them.
Migrant waves flooded in periodically, only to quickly fall into bouts of deep depression upon settling in the subterranean hellscape of a fortress that awaited them.
Apparently dozens of corpses lying around isn't great for your average's dwarf's state of mind.

The fun never ends, hiatus notwithstanding.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53207 on: January 25, 2019, 03:03:06 am »

Yeah, I had that happen with some forts in a previous world. For some reason, population never dipped below 3, and every time I thought the fort would wither to its doom, another migrant wave would arrive despite the danger and there would be another blood bath. After about a year of this I gave up and let the fort crumble to its ruin.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #53208 on: January 25, 2019, 05:03:52 am »

Just accidentally pierced the circus due to a mass designation, and several dozen clowns came out. I've just drafted all of my dwarves into the military and they're dying by the truckload.

However - I do have a single weredwarf trapped in a mined-out, sealed hematite vein keeping himself sane by engraving the walls and floor, so the fortress should survive.

Do clowns go back to the circus after they finish killing all the dwarves they can path to?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #53209 on: January 25, 2019, 06:04:17 am »

They stay on the surface - its actually possible to encounter them in the vicinity of the fort in adventure mode.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53210 on: January 25, 2019, 11:55:55 am »

Three Trolls, two GCS's and close to 20 deaths later I have decided that A) We need a barracks down by the cavern farms and B) We should really start walling off some areas down there as well. The second cavern layer is full of interesting plants, water and life. This one is just barren mud that attracts threats to the fort like flies to honey.

The bright spot in all of this is the newly named Captain America who has killed both a troll and a GCS with his copper shield and refuses to pick up a melee weapon.

Also the baby (named by my daughter after her BFF) who survived her mother getting gored to death by one of the trolls, who managed to crawl her way across pools of troglodyte blood and near endless mud back into the fortress to suddenly, pop, become a child, head straight to the stockpiles and grab herself a big old mug of sewer brew.

That one's a keeper.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53211 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:49 pm »

I sent my army out. Forty eight dorfs clad in the finest exploit-built steel and adamantine gear. We wiped out every goblin settlement near us in three seasons, obtained tribute from every elf and human site, and lost only 5 or so dwarves. We even razed a wizards tower, depriving the depraved wizards of their lives. No books on the subject were recovered, nor was the slab. Which is alright, i guess, i dont need my entire population suffering from that particular secret knowledge. We even conquered one site.

We're attacking sites in the goblins homeland, now. The mercenaries we hired ended up being the highest skilled among the troops, but everyone in the first four squads is reaching profficient or better at this point.

At home, we have exported vast quantities of wealth in the form of masterwork silver, and some adamantine, but have yet to be granted the status of a barony, nor has anyone built a hillocks linked to us. We may be too far afield to ever achieve such status, so we may have to suffer for being known as a military juggernaut.

The library has attracted well over a dozen scholars to stay with us permanently, and dozens of books have been written here as well as bought or pillaged. The temple to the goddess of death doesnt exactly bring much in the way of pilgrimage, but her majesty does overlook our fallen in their masterwork silver sarcophagi. The tavern is extra fancy, and attracts many artists. Three of them have been so happy with their stay here that they petitioned as permanent residents, and were granted such.

About the only issues weve been having are the overabunance of giant buzzards and the cave adaptation the dwarves are dealing with.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #53212 on: January 26, 2019, 07:12:07 am »

They stay on the surface - its actually possible to encounter them in the vicinity of the fort in adventure mode.
Seeing your reply, I let him out, and he died as dwarfy a death as you can imagine - broiled to death wrestling a ringleader.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53213 on: January 27, 2019, 06:52:35 pm »

Hammerearly has fallen. Long live Hammerearly.

Actual Spoilers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53214 on: January 28, 2019, 10:47:28 am »

Actual advise;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53215 on: January 28, 2019, 05:28:41 pm »

I've gotten my dwarves to engrave some ghastly records of the sieges on Helmsdreamy.
Also, between the original embark and reclaiming, my dwarves have created *five* bone weapons. TWO battleaxes, a mace, a crossbow, and a blowgun.
Come on guys. Really?
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53216 on: January 28, 2019, 05:29:58 pm »

I just dumped 15 million dorfbucks' worth of prepared meals on the caravan out of town just because they weren't masterful. Plus a huge load of arrows and blow darts that I don't even know where they came from. I think maybe some wagons got scuttled when I wasn't looking.

One thing I really miss about not being the mountainhome is being able to offer goods. After I bought everything, I found some more junk I wanted to get rid of, but I had to buy some of my old stuff back.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53217 on: January 28, 2019, 06:30:11 pm »

That's a nice diorite ring. I'll give you 3000 tons of food for it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53218 on: January 28, 2019, 11:47:27 pm »

So the area I ended up embarking in is called "The Decent Forest." I guess it's just okay. It's an all right forest.

So now my settlers, the Unremarkable Group of Workers, are going to the Decent Forest to found the Boring Fortress. The group's symbol is "The Plain Image," an image of a square.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53219 on: January 29, 2019, 12:32:15 am »

Thanks for the advice, Eric Blank. I will alert my geologists of this post-haste
Pages: 1 ... 3546 3547 [3548] 3549 3550 ... 3836