Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3547 3548 [3549] 3550 3551 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787802 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53220 on: January 29, 2019, 12:58:50 am »

Just succumbed to my first goblin invasion (never held onto a single fort long enough to experience a siege until now). Wanna know what the biggest tragedy of the story was? Nothing that happened in the fairly one-sided battle, but rather the fact that one dwarf by the name of Urist Phantomlancer was sleeping under a tree a good distance from the fort the entire time the siege was going on. So yeah, at some point he's gonna wake up, presumably thinking all is right with the world, and he'll merrily skip back home in blissful ignorance. Then he'll find his wife, his baby girl, and all his friends dead and mutilated at the hands of nearly a hundred goblins and trolls.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:07:17 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53221 on: January 29, 2019, 07:33:56 am »

My population-capped 18 dwarf fort just had its jeweller inherit the position of count of a far, far away fortress. I've scrambled to dig and bling out a living suite. Just need a few more engravings in the tomb.

Also, Degel, we have PLENTY of tables, despite your complaining. If you decide to eat your meal in what will be the count's throne room that's your fault!

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53222 on: January 31, 2019, 01:05:45 pm »

Create new world! Strike the Earth! Summer comes... Autumn comes... Hmm, no migrants for either season, that's kind of unfortunate. I guess I must have picked a dead civilization. Oh well, let's try this again.

Create new world! Strike the Earth! Summer comes... Hmm, no migrants. Something's screwy here. Check legends, check civilization, check the forums, use DFHack's migrants-now script... Nothing. Okay, something's seriously wro--

Oh, right. Head to d_init, increase the population cap above seven... oops.

I also found Raw adamantine! Praise the miners! which is strange because I haven't even breached the caverns yet. It turns out one of my dwarves fell into a volcano and somehow managed to even discover the magma sea despite having been Urist McVaporized for a hundred z-levels. Technically she was a miner, though, so I guess they can take the credit...
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53223 on: February 01, 2019, 06:17:36 am »

I founded a new fort, and some amusing things have occurred due to my dwarves simply being *busy* and the first migrant wave being absolutely tiny.

- I set up nest boxes for egg production. 4/5 of the nest boxes were Fertile; including the one I'd set aside for producing chicks and/or Poults. However, my Dwarves were too busy to collect the eggs. So now I have about twenty chicks caused by my Dwarves being too busy doing everything else. Almost simultaneously; I had about 10 puppies a Lamb and a Yak Calf born.

- My Miners apparently don't want to dig out the Trade Depot. The merchants have arrived to a depot-less fortress. Not that I urgently need anything.

- I've actually run out of stone because my two miners aren't mining out the stone areas either and thus my masons and crafters are not doing their jobs. They are currently busy moving things around.

I probobly expanded by fortress a little too quickly. Things like the main dining hall are all dug out; the food storage; the industry areas...

Oh; and my outpost liaison is a Human.

Once my population increases a bit I'll start working on my overground, walled farming area, my main fort enterance, and my pillboxes, and then move onto my main intended project for the fortress.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:23:16 am by Raikaria »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53224 on: February 02, 2019, 03:07:01 am »

Create new world! Strike the Earth! Summer comes... Autumn comes... Hmm, no migrants for either season, that's kind of unfortunate. I guess I must have picked a dead civilization. Oh well, let's try this again.

Create new world! Strike the Earth! Summer comes... Hmm, no migrants. Something's screwy here. Check legends, check civilization, check the forums, use DFHack's migrants-now script... Nothing. Okay, something's seriously wro--

Oh, right. Head to d_init, increase the population cap above seven... oops.
that would also fit here :D http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34430.0
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53225 on: February 02, 2019, 12:49:26 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that if you trade something to your mountainhomes (eg, a minecart full of lava), then they'll have it available for purchase when they come back the next year (eg, as barrels of lava). Unfortunately, after sending the mountainshomes a lovely gift of a giant hamster, I seem to be unable to request such a pet in my import agreement. Maybe I have to domesticate giant hamsters first?
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53226 on: February 02, 2019, 03:14:08 pm »

I dont think thats true right now actually. Toady never did implement updating resources available to a civ, or even updating domestic animals stocks.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #53227 on: February 02, 2019, 03:18:27 pm »

I am about certain that the goods you trade are stored somewhere in the capitale city of your nation and may (or may not) be used for trade later on. Im sure I've met items I crafted and traded in a storage depot, while messing around in adventurer mode

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #53228 on: February 02, 2019, 05:05:59 pm »

I embarked within short range of three different necromancer towers, which I thought was going to be a !!FUN!! experience with undead hordes constantly attacking (I was only under siege once by undead.)
However, when I pillaged the towers, I had forgotten about the fact that you can take the slab/book... which was brought back to my library.
The fort is now slowly becoming a massive hive of necromancers.
I thought this would be a huge issue, seeing as how necromancers were an issue before, but the fort seems pretty lax with the idea of necromancy.
I have now made it my goal to turn every single dwarf in the fort into a necromancer.

Does anyone know what happens to visitors who decide to read the book and become necromancers and then leave?
Do they remain necromancers and do wacky hijinks around the world?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53229 on: February 03, 2019, 10:00:01 am »

A child appears to have climbed(?!) into a tree and got stuck

Felling the tree got the little monkey right down. Stopped playing "make believe" though to grab some real drinks instead.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:04:55 am by Lord Snow »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53230 on: February 03, 2019, 10:02:22 am »

Yeah, dwarves will do that sometimes. I believe it comes from them fleeing/dodging up a tree when something threatens them.

Something like a giant kea, or some other large bird that's effectively omnipresent on the map.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53231 on: February 03, 2019, 12:43:35 pm »

A child appears to have climbed(?!) into a tree and got stuck

It also happens sometimes when herbalists climb stepladders to pick fruit, but I doubt that's the case this time.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53232 on: February 04, 2019, 02:12:23 pm »

My visitors arrive with high swimming skills. They get stuck in pools that are often empty but fill during rain.  ;D

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53233 on: February 04, 2019, 03:42:29 pm »

I love the book titles.

To Evaporation and Condensation and Glory!, "To Evaporation and Condensation and Glory!", a hemp quire

This is a hemp quire.
Written on the item is a manual entitled To Evaporation and Condensation and Glory!, authored by Ingish Claspedfortunes. It concerns the origin of rainfall through evaporation and condensation. The writing has a very serious ton. Overall, the prose is great.

Sadly, the author has just been killed by a tantruming craftsdarf.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53234 on: February 05, 2019, 12:02:04 am »

My dwarves have pride in their heritage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3547 3548 [3549] 3550 3551 ... 3835