Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3555 3556 [3557] 3558 3559 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854095 times)

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53340 on: February 23, 2019, 12:10:45 pm »

Well that's not something you see every day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My fort shares the site with a cave, where this giant apparently lived. When I finally explored the cave (year 210), I found his giant skeleton, with no indication about how he died. Turns out a human werellama had shown up, apparently never got spotted by my dwarves, ventured straight into the cave and killed this giant, then left.

A shame the giant didn't survive; meeting that would have been interesting.
If you find the werellama in adventure mode they may still have his face.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53341 on: February 23, 2019, 08:49:57 pm »

Most likely, he's a runaway goblin slave, hence, the haircut and the kill list, which are actually goblin-style murders and not combat kills.
As for the name, it is possible he was originally born in an elven civ, probably a child of some traveling scientist or bard.

So, I was expecting to say "Never mind, you were right. He was just a goblin slave." after checking Legends. That is not the case, but he's apparently not an elf, either.

He's the only one to ever bear the name Ecamo, apparently.

He's also definitively a dwarf. And those do seem to be combat kills.

Spoiler: "Legends mode dump" (click to show/hide)

I still have no idea how he got an Elven name. He's a dwarf from the very first generation of dwarves, in a dwarven kingdom ruled by an unbroken line of dwarves.

Spoiler: "Ustuth Bustteeth" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Kib Fleshmanors" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Kol Beachedvessel" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Bonus: Goblin Humor" (click to show/hide)

Dude was in charge of 11 Adventurous Mechanisms attacks on the goblins of Viceallies. He's got tp have some strategic skills that would be useful in your militia.

What happened in that particular war? Did he have to leave because the gobboes won?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53342 on: February 25, 2019, 04:14:43 pm »

A visitor just wrote a quire. It has a description that will please mathematicians around the world. 

The interpretation of congruence:
This is a pig tail quire
Written on the item is a manual entitled the interpretation of congruence, authored by Rovod Canyonfurnace. It concerns the properties of similar and congruent triangles. The writing shows a hint of tenderness and it takes frequent interesting tangents. Overall, the prose is passable

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53343 on: February 25, 2019, 07:38:17 pm »

Several years ago, something like twenty performers petitioned for residence at my fort, and for citizenship a couple years later. I eventually intend to weaponize them in horrifying ways, but in the meantime, they've been hauling corpses.

Lots. And lots. Of corpses.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:46:53 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53344 on: February 26, 2019, 03:07:15 am »

Just suffered eight dwarves killed by a werehorse attack, including six of the militia and my Legendary Clothier (this is the second Legendary Clothier who's bitten the dust in my fort); we had no warning before it reached the fortress gate, so the militia turned up one by one and got slaughtered. Quite impressive really - it couldn't directly pierce their bronze armour, but it could soak up damage all day and it only needed to land one bite attack, because the followup shakes were almost always an instakill. The bastard even escaped after transforming back into a dwarf, so maybe we'll see him again.

I have two injured survivors who may or may not be infected. Had them quarantined, but the first full moon hit (measured by a previous werehorse-victim who's been permanently confined) and neither of them transformed. Does that mean they're safe to let back into the fortress? Or should I wait until the second full moon to be certain?

In other news, construction of Stonebanners' tower continues quickly. I am currently devoting efforts to dig out more bedrooms, as I feel it's time to get more migrants in. The current population of 70 (including quite a lot of children) feels too small to get everything I want done while also retaining a full-time military - after the above massacre I'm not going to put up with a part-time militia again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:11:00 am by imperium3 »
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53345 on: February 26, 2019, 04:41:26 am »

Does that mean they're safe to let back into the fortress? Or should I wait until the second full moon
Should be fine!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53346 on: February 26, 2019, 01:51:33 pm »

Found out I am basically the center of known dwarven civilization now. There's a very isolated dwarven civ to the far south, but I'm in a tundra and those dwarves are basically 100% isolated by terrain. There's just two other dwarven settlements, decimated to almost nothing by war.

That said, have decided to build a manned fortress defending the only route from the candy mines from possible demon invasion. 50 Axe Lords and a squad of crossbow-dwarves will man it. We shall have the candy, but they shall not have our fortress. Hail Mr. Beard.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53347 on: February 26, 2019, 08:20:12 pm »

A ghostly butcher chopped off both legs of a strand extractor.

But the announcement message is bugged, it just shows two names and titles.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53348 on: February 26, 2019, 08:47:49 pm »

I have two injured survivors who may or may not be infected. Had them quarantined, but the first full moon hit (measured by a previous werehorse-victim who's been permanently confined) and neither of them transformed. Does that mean they're safe to let back into the fortress? Or should I wait until the second full moon to be certain?

Check for a skin-break from the bite itself - latches that only bruise and the follow-up shakes won't transfer the curse, only breaking the skin will (so if the skin, fat, or muscle was torn by the initial bite, then they're definitely infected.)

Suppose that's more "for the future" knowledge, but hey. better safe than sorry and all that.

Brakebein

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all those who wander are lost...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53349 on: February 26, 2019, 10:13:14 pm »

I must confess - after playing DF on and off for nearly 11 years, I have never gone for the adamantium.

Until this morning.

The fortress of Punchgate had had a relatively peaceful existence, fending off the occasional werecreature or traveling bard. The only metals we could access were lead, zinc and silver, which means our entire military was armed with only their bare hands and leather armour when the eerie pit was breached.

We'd all heard the stories about demons with catepillar's heads made from molten glass that could immolate an entire fortress with a single fart. What we didn't expect was over sixty of them billowing up with the scent of fiery brimstone, melting flesh with paralyzing webs and hellfire before systematically destroying every living thing and demolishing every stick of furniture below ground. All were slain, including the latecoming marksdwarves party who fired off multiple rounds to little avail.

Within a matter of minutes all lay dead, save for the possessed mayor who had been walled up amid his demands for ridiculously esoteric crafting materials and outlandish export bans. It took him almost two months to starve to death, during which an elven caravan arrived and was instantly incinerated, along with every single tree on the upper surface.

With the death of the mayor came the death of Punchgate. And I didn't even get to smith a single damn adamantium sword.

I freaking love this game. Can't wait to start again tonight. I'm thinking a desert fortress, made mostly of green glass.
Book thieves will be caged and left to perish on windswept crags.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53350 on: February 27, 2019, 04:45:34 am »

Now you know how the awful clown/candy slang came to be.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53351 on: February 27, 2019, 11:06:28 am »

Within a matter of minutes all lay dead, save for the possessed mayor who had been walled up amid his demands for ridiculously esoteric crafting materials and outlandish export bans.

Spec-tacular.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53352 on: February 27, 2019, 11:22:52 am »

Embark with plans to make an above ground fort. Naturally it's been raining non stop for the past 10 years. Yay...
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53353 on: February 27, 2019, 03:49:40 pm »

So the 5th forgotten beast to assault the fort showed up in the second cavern layer. An eight legged, scaled dimetrodon with lidless eyes who undulates rythmically. And oh yeah, breathes fire. Maybe I should have been a bit more diligent about shoring up our cavern defenses but no matter, we slew that giant shrimp, giant lobster, winged lobster and giant scorpion easily enough! Send in the Crystalline Calm! The Salves of Rain! The Golden Presents! The Floors of Delighting!

Oh. My. God.

So much fire. So much smoke. And it moves like a toddler hopped up on cake and ice cream! Seventeen dwarves are down, including our two living champions Shrimp Slayer and Lobster Killer. Still, the survivors fight on and a few monster slayers are arriving on the scene. Perhaps we can still carry the day. And if all else fails.. we release the Vampire Legion.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53354 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:40 am »

I've leaped from 16 dwarves to 46 in the migration wave of the second Spring.

And it's a... really memetically terrible migration wave.

Seven kids, six hunter/ranger types ALL novice (I guess I have a marksdwarf squad ready to be trained), three equally novice fishery workers,
six peasants which are all equally useless (the best is an Adequate Grower with no other skills), one good scholar type with Glassmaker (but nooo magma on this map) at great... a peasant, a woodcutter...

Did I mention the Great cheesemaker ? I think I forgot him.
Pages: 1 ... 3555 3556 [3557] 3558 3559 ... 3836