Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3556 3557 [3558] 3559 3560 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787455 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53355 on: February 28, 2019, 09:46:47 am »

You see, they're basically blank slates skillwise, so you could make them do anything, and it wouldn't be a waste of dwarven resources.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53356 on: February 28, 2019, 10:34:40 am »

Well, well, well.  The 8th migrant wave has appeared on the southern edge of map.  Why would anybody come to CraftRiddle?  A above ground wooden stockade in a tropical Asian jungle with werebeast attacks, tantrum throwing civilians, never ending rain, shared bedrooms, wooden cups, not enough beds to sleep in, not enough tables to eat on, and every adult Dwarf being forced to join a militia squad?  Oh, and not enough weapons.

I moved the trash and corpses outside the walls and later found one Dwarf sleeping in the new dump.  If it were not for the semi-functional hospital, the few temples, library/museum, and the huge amount of food available I think my island settlement would have collapsed already. 

Oh, and the booze.  We have a thousand units of plum wine and who knows how many more thousands of units of other fruit and berry based booze.  You want booze, settle in a jungle.  You can easily brew all you need just from the fruits and berries you gather.

At least the four stones we got from the trader will allow us to build the drawbridge we need to protect ourselves.  Maybe.  How high do walls need to be to keep out weres? 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53357 on: February 28, 2019, 10:44:06 am »

'Nam Fortress

Also the obligatory comment about true dwarves only building walls out of stone, and that people that build walls out of wood must be elf sympathizers, or something.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:45:44 am by Naryar »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53358 on: February 28, 2019, 10:48:58 am »

'Nam Fortress

Also the obligatory comment about true dwarves only building walls out of stone, and that people that build walls out of wood must be elf sympathizers, or something.

How can I be a elf sympathizers when I have chopped down hundreds of trees?  I hunted down most of the wild animals and turned them into food, leather, or bone bolts?  My soldiers wear bone helms and leather armor!  The Elves would hate me....if they could get to me.   :P 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53359 on: February 28, 2019, 10:54:47 am »

'Nam Fortress

How can I be a elf sympathizers when I have chopped down hundreds of trees?

Clearly so you can keep your dwarven disguise  :P

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53360 on: February 28, 2019, 11:22:31 am »

A goblin cave decided to become economically linked to my fort despite having no contact and a population of <10. I don't get it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53361 on: February 28, 2019, 11:23:57 am »

A goblin cave decided to become economically linked to my fort despite having no contact and a population of <10. I don't get it.
This is good for Bitcoin.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53362 on: February 28, 2019, 11:46:21 am »

This economic linking occurred in the middle of a goblin siege, with my fort in lockdown. My fortress has never traded once, trees are relatively (800 logs total, instead of ~5000 logs across the whole map) sparse, so I couldn't really cheese it by making hundreds of spiked wooden balls.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53363 on: February 28, 2019, 08:15:27 pm »

I've been forced (due to technological difficulties) to start a new fort. Hence the town of Ironechoes was founded.

This world is split in two, right down the middle, by an ocean. Though the narrowest point, just south-east of Ironechoes, is bridge-able with fortresses, I've chosen, for now, not to do that. Ironechoes was instead founded in the middle of a tropical jungle, and better still in the center of a ring of hamlets build by the Vutchnell. They never built a town or anything, I guess because they had a forest retreat-capitol in the middle of the same forest, directly adjacent to Ironechoes. The forest retreat is also territory of my civ, as is the smaller forest retreat adjacent to it. I'm pretty sure this is the current capitol of my civilization.

And I say that because far to the north, where the civilization originated, our remaining holdings amount to a tomb, and a hillocks, both with a population of less than ten. Every site north of the ring of vutchnell, then, right up to the frozen taiga which still hosts a healthy population of elves and a couple caves full of paklara and beastman bandits, belongs to The Dominant Hurricane, a dwarven civ of the Cult of Armok entity definition (evil bloodthirsty zealots), and with whom we are at war.

Basically, they control the entire western half of the world, known as The High Continent. On the eastern half, The Amusing Land, are the thinly-spread hamlets of the human Labyrinthine Coalition, along with a single goblin tower, an isolated island that hosts a cave full of kobolds, and the ruins of a lone fortress, probably a dwarven wizard civ, and the empty towers of a goblin civilization. We have no official contact with the Coalition, no idea how we even know about the kobolds.

Despite having a temple, tavern, library, and cavern access, I have seen exactly zero visitors, ever. No monster slayers, mercenaries, poets, nothing. Roughly 1/3 of the vutchnell hamlets surrounding me have become economically linked to us within the first year after embark. My civ, however, has yet to send an outpost liaison, so despite exporting a fuckton of crafts, I have no chance of obtaining a title. An outpost liaison, and a bunch of other nobles, were announced to have been selected a year or so ago, but with the caravan this year came no-one at all. I am forced to assume that they are dead, now, probably at the hands of Armok cultists. I have yet to experience an invasion, and my paltry population of 83 craftsmen has produced no notable warriors, or sufficient equipment to host a war party of our own. It will be a few more years before we can send anyone out to do our bidding.

Thankfully, I chose a really nice embark. I have not only limonite and gold, but tetrahedrite and cassiterite. Meaning I can outfit soldiers with both iron and bronze gear. Unfortunately I havent seen any flux stone and without a liaison I cant request anything. We have loads of trees, edible plants, farm animals including egg, milk and wool producers, and war dogs being bred. The river surround the fort on two sides provided a moat on the other two and our elevation above the plains and the moats offered a chance to simply build a wooden palisade, preventing invaders, of which there have been none, from climbing up the sides of the bluff. There have only been two casualties so far; one of the two starting miners who fell into the river when the bridge he was crossing was deconstructed, and a whiny farmer (elected as a messenger) who simply couldnt handle the stresses of such a stress-free life and went melancholy while in prison. She has yet to succumb, technically, because being chained she still gets force-fed and watered. She'll die of lack of sleep eventually, I guess. I'll prepare a coffin for her in advance.

I've been tunneling steadily deeper into the earth to find the magma sea and fortify our cavern access. So far we've actually encountered like one or two crundles, I walled off the first cavern access before the tentacle horrors or the new rattlesnake forgotten beast could get to us.

I'm kind of bored.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53364 on: February 28, 2019, 08:57:25 pm »

Ironechoes was instead founded in the middle of a tropical jungle, and better still in the center of a ring of hamlets build by the Vutchnell.

What are Vutchnell, and are your mods posted anywhere?
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53365 on: February 28, 2019, 09:17:36 pm »

After the collapse of the green glass pyramid at the temple of sands, the dwarves made their way to the boarder where the mountainous Squashed Step met the sweltering Stinky Bile, taking only a few supplies, and the 4 Jabberers they had so painstakingly caught previously, with them. Here, they found what they needed: A mighty volcano with plenty of iron and marble, a bastion from which to protect the dwindling dwarven civilization against the widespread corruption of the land, Here, they could hold back the undead.

It is one year hence, and already many dwarves have been lost. Chiefly, to the dreaded zombie camel, resurrected to punish us. It had spent several months in pitched combat against a reanimated arm, and while many a dwarf's heart went out to it, and there was even talk of a rescue, in the end it was agreed that the merchants former animal would not obey us, and so it was left to finally die. In our arrogance, we failed to consider the toll this would bring, but we survive nonetheless. We slew the dreaded zombie camel, Bithitkir, when it broke into the fortress while we were draining a pond to secure water for the monsters previous casualties.

Now, we have prevailed. Our great bridge has been built, our fortress has received a great swell of immigrants, and the Jabberer eggs have finally hatched. Time for phase two...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53366 on: March 01, 2019, 02:51:24 am »

The ghostly butcher finally killed the Wererat I locked up by removing his head.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53367 on: March 01, 2019, 07:36:02 am »

This happened before Winter even came on my new fort:

Thing is... I don't have a Dwarf called that. And why should I care about someone being appointed bookkeeper?

They were also appointed Broker.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53368 on: March 01, 2019, 12:17:44 pm »

This happened before Winter even came on my new fort:

Thing is... I don't have a Dwarf called that. And why should I care about someone being appointed bookkeeper?

They were also appointed Broker.

I'm not sure... but I think that's one of the merchants from the autumn caravan, who just got appointed to that position in some hillock or fortress belonging to your civ.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53369 on: March 01, 2019, 08:34:51 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3556 3557 [3558] 3559 3560 ... 3835