Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3559 3560 [3561] 3562 3563 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852336 times)

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53400 on: March 05, 2019, 11:03:50 am »

I just pierced my first aquifer!  Very excited.  It was 6 z-levels, two in soil and 4 in stone.  I've been playing DF for years, since before .34... a little embarrassed it took me this long but I'm proud.

Congrats!!!  It took me a few years to finally give it an honest attempt and finally break through one as well.  Did you use the WiKi?

Yep, the "two-slit" method worked very nicely.

In my fort, I'm just waiting for the magma pump stack to fill my failed attempt at a zombie pit trap, so I can obsidianize them all and try again.  18 months in and only half way filled.  Also, it's drained the lower magma level enough that the magma forges are now unpowered.

That's... very large.

Just a standard single pump stack filling a modest 23 x 25 x 7 pit with a surrounding 3-10 tile walkway / holding cell area.

It's the "x7" part that does it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53401 on: March 05, 2019, 07:08:33 pm »

One of the kids has gone in a secretive mood and made me a two-humped camel bone battle axe. Very nofrills artifact as well, just decorated with two-humped camel leather.

On one hand, it must look pretty cool, and I got a legendary bonecarver out of it. On the other hand, I have to wait six years till I can use that bonecarver, the kid has to survive until then, and who in their right mind builds out battle axes out of bone ? Kobold scum ?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53402 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:53 pm »

One of the kids has gone in a secretive mood and made me a two-humped camel bone battle axe. Very nofrills artifact as well, just decorated with two-humped camel leather.

On one hand, it must look pretty cool, and I got a legendary bonecarver out of it. On the other hand, I have to wait six years till I can use that bonecarver, the kid has to survive until then, and who in their right mind builds out battle axes out of bone ? Kobold scum ?

Hey, at least it's not a toy one.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53403 on: March 06, 2019, 09:51:00 am »

16 trained dwarves vs 1 weregiraffe. In thirteen pages worth of combat the wergiraffe has only managed to land a single kick.... straigth to my captain's head. It exploded in gore :(
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53404 on: March 06, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »

16 trained dwarves vs 1 weregiraffe. In thirteen pages worth of combat the wergiraffe has only managed to land a single kick.... straigth to my captain's head. It exploded in gore :(

Better than a bite. I'll take a kicked in head over a beast infestation any day of the week.

Anon_404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53405 on: March 06, 2019, 06:23:14 pm »

Playing a slow fort game (cap pop set to zero so have to rely on growing naturally or from visitors), had a rather important dwarf take a dive into a underground pool from an isolated wall. Yeah, he promptly drowned.

Long and short, was trying to build around some trees that were based in an underground lake and the one dwarf somehow/for some reason climbed a nearby tree and got himself stuck on top of a pair of isolated walls. While trying to build a staircase up to him through some branches (note: you can build down into branches and from the sides, but the pathing messes up if you try building up into them), the dwarf in question decided that I was taking too long and tried to jump/climb and promptly fell into the water below and drowned :(

Fortunately, his legacy will live on in his two children, so more frustrated at the dwarfs choices rather than the loss.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53406 on: March 07, 2019, 12:05:27 am »

Ive decided to make granite, year 500, a month of no labor to celebrate four years in this jungle. And also because everybody has been refusing to socialize themselves properly and are getting upset by their own lack of socializing. Shutting down everything isnt easy, unfortunately.

Maybe if i make a party burrow and lock everyone in?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53407 on: March 07, 2019, 12:53:45 am »

A little settlement named Helpedearly has been established nearby (in the first summer, which makes it a somewhat fitting name) and has economically linked itself to me. Which is fine, but...

It's a human hamlet.

Now, admittedly, I'm playing a slightly modded race of dwarves, but how did that even happen?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #53408 on: March 07, 2019, 05:36:15 am »

My Miners just hit a big vein of Adamantine embedded in a matrix of solid Gold. They must think they've died of Alcohol poisoning and gone to Heaven.

DF-Hack says over 100,000 tiles of Gold and over 7,000 tiles of Adamantine in total.

Time to build a castle out of solid Gold, furnished with Adamantine?
Never pet a burning dog.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53409 on: March 07, 2019, 05:44:32 am »

Why not go the extra mile and replace all furniture in the fort with masterpiece gold versions? Hell, you could probably get away with building everything out of gold from now on.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53410 on: March 07, 2019, 05:45:33 am »

Werewombat attack. Infected spearman and child. Dead spearman and child the next month.

I really hate the curse transfer mechanic.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53411 on: March 07, 2019, 04:28:00 pm »

Fire breathing swampland titan Shows Up... Breathing fire He Kills a recruit and Sets a tree in fire. Tree kills the Titan... Lol...

Anon_404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53412 on: March 07, 2019, 10:54:46 pm »

Fire breathing swampland titan Shows Up... Breathing fire He Kills a recruit and Sets a tree in fire. Tree kills the Titan... Lol...

See! Even Mother Nature hates titans!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53413 on: March 08, 2019, 02:58:21 am »

I didnt have such luck; the titan that showed up tonight was a web spitter. Caught a few militia dwarves in the tunnel trying to get to their stations indoors, all dead in an instant. Luckily it decided to swim to its next target, and cant swim for shit, so he made it inside before i locked the gate.

But a migrant wave showed up, and it got ahold of a bunch of them at the bottom of my over-wall route. I sent the militia out after it as it was in a unique position where i figured it couldnt fire upwards. I was wrong, but regardless the militia managed to kill it with only a couple more casualties. Nice for something that could literally slaughter an entire fort on its own. Fortunately the marksdwarves got a few shots in beforehand, so it was moderately crippled. The migrant wave was almost completely lost, excluding an armorer who got webbed on top of a cage trap.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53414 on: March 08, 2019, 10:11:24 am »

Construction of my massive roof is almost complete.

Had the first Forgotten Beast attack. It was some kind of Giant Crab. I set to work arrangeing everything for my Baited Containment Area... and one of the Monster Hunters killed it. And only one of the guys died.

At this point I've been getting so swarmed with Monster Hunters that I have been refusing the majority of them. Once they killed something I wanted to weaponize, I've extended that to a blanket ban except for Noble Monster Hunters, of which I have two. [A Lord Consort and Lady Consort].

Even more frustratingly; my swarm of Monster Hunters appear to be counting towards my Popcap, because I'm not getting any more migrants. Which is quite annoying when you only have ~30 Dwarves providing for about 9 children and 15 Monster Hunters. Dosen't leave much for actual work.

Also every Strange Mood seems to insist on making a toy. I even had a Toy Axe made worth over 25000...

Speaking of babies; having a bit of a Puppy and Poult explosion. Most of them get assigned to cages waiting for slaughter, so it's not all bad, but when my Dwarfpower is so thin it's kinda hard to round up all the baby animals. As in I have like 4 pages of Puppies and Poults.
Pages: 1 ... 3559 3560 [3561] 3562 3563 ... 3836