Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3566 3567 [3568] 3569 3570 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788127 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53505 on: March 22, 2019, 08:03:56 pm »

I notice my gem setter likes to encrust the same furniture.
Just found a random exceptional green glass portal which is worth 20000.
Time to replace the weapon trap in the king's throne room.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53506 on: March 23, 2019, 04:34:16 am »

I named two Carpenter's Workshops "Balls 1" and "Balls 2". They have only one purpose in life, and that is to produce as many high quality spiked wooden balls as possible. They are profiled to only allow Professional to Legendary Carpenters.

Then this guy got possessed and...

Clearly, I need to rename every workshop to something that produces a mildly funny message whenever someone claims it.

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53507 on: March 23, 2019, 11:25:21 pm »

Discovered that I forgot to set up leathermaking in my new fort when the fort's first mood, a possessed child, started sulking in a workshop demanding leather. Got the industry set up ASAP, then slaughtered a baby donkey by mistake and got no skin. Eventually I got the kid her materials, and in return she produced a sand pear wood mug adorned with images of iguanas in dog leather.

In other news, the newly-minted military will have some bone bolts to train with in the near future.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:29:41 pm by brotundbutter »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53508 on: March 24, 2019, 09:44:37 am »

There's a dangerous forgotten beast (mostly due to paralyzing deadly dust) roaming the first cavern. Of course, this beast is on an ongoing rampage of the local wildlife. Some of the animals ran right into my cage traps, which is perfect; I've just discovered that animal training exists. Now I have to wait for this thing to die or disappear or something.
EDIT: It died of suffocation due to middle spine damage, DFhack tells me a troll did it in.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:20:48 am by methylatedspirit »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53509 on: March 24, 2019, 03:25:27 pm »

Finished another floor for a shared-bedroom, completed the drawbridge, and another wave of migrants showed up.  Winter is coming.  And still some folks throwing tantrums. 

But it could be worse at CraftRiddle.  We could have armies invading us.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Benjyhana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
RnGuses does love me!
« Reply #53510 on: March 24, 2019, 08:43:53 pm »

Decided to get back into Dwarf herding after a decade.
The very first embark gen on small world gets me a 5x5, west half of map 90z sheer cliff iron marble mountain (n/s) with volc one tile off center(center map, one map tile into mountain.) Quarter map savage ocean, virtually no beach against cliff to map edge (whole NE) with no aquifer, and! one 3 tile spurt of ocean going twenty tiles into cliff right to the edge of best "cross" fort spot. SW quadrent savage forest and swamp both aquifer with one grid plataued into mountain at 60 z right at map center/sw fort edge. Also all three gobbo main fortresses within 10 big tiles and they're all thriving.

Then Armok stopped and considered other things he could do for me personally.

On the 3rd month I dug down into the 2nd floor and placed a jeweler, then dug its stockpile. Armok had genned 16 diamonds in that stockpiles wall.
On the 6th month I dug into the 5th floor to place the smelter /forges, and even tho there's enough iron marble on the surface to (3000 words of hyberbolic) he genned another three solid veins right over the 11/22 stockpile.
On the 7the month the Orca whale decided the tunnel/channel dug into mountain from the aforementioned ocean crevice seemed inviting. Flood gate raised.

At this point I thought, time to backup game 'cause my lucks running out. But before that one last bedroom was dug and I could save, a breeding pair (do i have to mod?) of griffons decided to appear and chase my hunter right through the entrance into the cage traps the brewer had placed like,,, maybe 7 ticks ago.

I really can't think of any chance stretching things that could get better. Short of my shittiest Axeman getting shot exactly in the knee by an elf right when I'm picking my tavern keeper..... I'm actually anxious about loading this save right now.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:30:28 pm by Benjyhana »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53511 on: March 24, 2019, 09:19:11 pm »

Boi, it's going to be good.
You might notice that you can now not only sit and wait for goblins to kill, but actually go kill them, which might be the top point.
The kids finally play with the goddamn toys.
Dwarven culture finally advanced enough for them to use mugs and goblets like a gentleman and stop drinking from barrels like savages.
No more tantrum spirals, everyone is depress all the time now.
Really a lot more.
Read the dev page if you have a spare hour.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Benjyhana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53512 on: March 24, 2019, 09:36:43 pm »

Obviously ever workshop needs to be renamed the Barony of Bowyer and so forth. Does anybody know how to force wrestling matchs between competing claims?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53513 on: March 24, 2019, 10:06:18 pm »

Given that you can now rename workshops, you could just go with the cheap joke of renaming every workshop to "Lever".

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53514 on: March 25, 2019, 11:55:38 pm »

My latest Fortress has been getting hit by Were-Goats. I thought I'd managed to quarantine all of the injured warriors, but evidently I missed one or two. When the next full moon brought this to my attention, I did a more thorough inspection for injured dwarves, put them all in a squad, and stationed them in the caverns with the intention to wall them out.

Unfortunately, no one ever started construction on the wall, and the squad just moseyed right back into the fortress to get drinks. By the time the next full moon came around, the outbreak had (probably) gotten out of control.

Maybe my next course of action was overkill, but I decided to burrow everyone into the caverns and abandon them to their fate. I figured they'd survive until the next migrant wave. But the dwarves were still being obstinate little shits about constructing walls, so I had to mess around with burrows.

As a result, one dwarf managed to make it back into the fortress just before the wall got built. Luckily he wasn't a were-goat! He's got more food and booze than he could ever hope to consume, so I set him up to alternate between military training and making crafts to stay sane.

Between the were-goat plague, the forgotten beast that showed up, and the gradual but steady flooding after I dug into wet stone just so they'd shut up about not being able to bring water to the injured, nearly everyone in the caverns has died. But migrants have arrived and the fortress will live on!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:00:25 am by Vicious_Unicycle »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53515 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:51 am »

FINALLY! The elves have attacked!
EDIT: Dammit. It was two ambushes, and they decided to run away instead of running straight into my cage traps. In other news, my trained draltha are running away because they saw my military marching to search for more ambushes. Some of these draltha have escaped the fort, which means I may have introduced draltha to the outside world.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:05:54 am by methylatedspirit »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53516 on: March 26, 2019, 07:44:24 am »

Damn, I got a legendary armorsmith in my most recent migrant wave. Someone apparently went through a mood off-fort.

:o

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #53517 on: March 26, 2019, 07:54:01 am »

Damn, I got a legendary armorsmith in my most recent migrant wave. Someone apparently went through a mood off-fort.

Yeah, they can do that now.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53518 on: March 26, 2019, 07:58:04 am »

Yup the artifacts release allowed artifacts to be created anywhere in the world. That's why it was called the artifacts release.

AngryAboutElves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53519 on: March 26, 2019, 11:42:37 am »

Had a rather sad day starting with my most recent fortress. Half the population was out carrying marble to the fortress to use for the tavern (settled in a rather dangerous area, so I'm only using quality stone for my leisure places to keep stress down to a minimum) when a Weredeer attacked and killed five dwarves and most animals before transforming back into a human.
All those dwarves were married and their spouses all saw the massacre.
And at the same time a migrant wave entered the map and also got to see the spectacle.

Had to spend the next year keeping the dwarves away from getting overstressed and throwing tantrums.
Pages: 1 ... 3566 3567 [3568] 3569 3570 ... 3835