Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3567 3568 [3569] 3570 3571 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852324 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53520 on: March 26, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »

Everyone is unhappy and depressed. I don't even know why :/
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AstralDusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53521 on: March 26, 2019, 03:05:44 pm »

A massacre.

My elite squad went on a raid to a nearby goblin encampment.
Led by the legendary general Thobb Nourishinks, The Vanguard returned home with spoils in tow, their second successful raid on the elven lands now occupied by the goblin hordes. Scouts spotted the Vanguard on the horizon and raised a triumphant cry. Citizens of Questcobalt lined at the gate to welcome their champions back. Perhaps there truly was a chance to reclaim the world from the forces of darkness! Questcobalt, last bastion of the dwarven race, would reclaim the lands and begin a new age of triumph and conquest!

The engraver Kikrost Vesselcudgels saw them first. No, not the Vanguard-- the horde of goblins dogging them through the forests. There were 150 of them, maybe more. A contingent of trolls lumbered steadily behind. The Champion of Questcobalt, Odnur Boardbowel, rallied every military member in the fortress and ran out to meet the goblin threat-- if only to buy time for mighty General Thobb and his fearless squad, who were forced to abandon their gear as the goblins pursued them. If Thobb could get inside and re-arm himself, the goblins wouldn't stand a chance.

For every dwarf that fell, two goblins went with them. It wasn't enough. The fields ran red this day. The previously-joyous onlookers at the gate stood stricken with shock and grief. The remaining marksdwarves ushered the civilians into fort as the horde rushed ahead.

Questcobalt's hammerer, Whisper Laborplay, slumped against the tunnel walls outside the fortress door. The last marksdwarf-- a new recruit, she recalled through fogged mind-- tried to rouse her, but she lost her will. Killing in the name of justice was neat. Orderly. Tidy. Her hammer fell the same way, for the same reasons. She wasn't ready to see the hellish, meaningless chaos of war.
When the goblins strode up to the gate, she only watched with a curious apathy: as if she was floating above her own body as a spirit. And when the recruit's blood splashed across her face, she whispered a prayer to the fishgod of justice Odshith. And then the jagged goblin sword came down on her.

Meanwhile, King Einhart was being brutally assaulted by the engraver Kikrost Vesselcudgels, the same dwarf who first spotted the horde. How could a good and just king allow this to happen while he hid in his fancy bedroom? The hall was spattered with King Einhart's blood. No justice would come to Kikrost, or to Einhart for that matter. Justice died outside those gates.

But what of General Thobb? 60 dwarves gave their lives so the Vanguard stood a chance. Unfortunately, the Vanguard didn't make it.

Thobb did. Truly a wonder and a testament to his own skills that he managed to make it back alive. Right? He must be in the fort right now, gathering up some steel armor and a sword of legend to avenge his fallen comrades. How did he survive the slaughter?

I found Thobb in a tree. As the Vanguard sprinted out of the forest and across the fields, Thobb never even tried. He hid up in a tree and watched the entire army decimated by the goblins HE led to Questcobalt.
He sat up there for days as the trolls smashed down doors and the denizens of Questcobalt walled themselves in.
I wish he had redeemed himself somehow. Some final blaze of glory. He was pulled out of the tree by a beakdog and beaten to death by three goblins as he lay on the ground.

Now everyone's just brawling with each other in the tavern.  :-\

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53522 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:11 pm »

Seems like a trend in this last version of DF...

I haven't had too many mopey dwarf issues though. But my fort isn't very violent (so far)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53523 on: March 26, 2019, 05:56:21 pm »

I lost two citizens to vultures of all things...seems like they jumped down the cliff trying to run away :(
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53524 on: March 26, 2019, 07:36:34 pm »

I made a squad with one member. The sole purpose of this erstwhile peasant - to stand in front of a fortification and get repeatedly webbed. Over and over again.

This was, of course, a Giant Cave Spider silk farm. But it had cooldown periods while the silk was harvested, so to amuse myself I sent my peasant on stealth missions. Remarkably he succeeded each time and quickly built his ambusher skill, bringing home single-handedly much plunder from the outside world. I was at this point becoming quite fond of the little devil, but i am a fickle and oft-times malicious overseer. I wanted to attract a baron, and for that I needed a new holding. Unfortunately, this "consumes" the squads which succeed in conquering.

So I filled my peasant's squad with farmers and a single mercenary, certain of their failure. They trundled off into the great unknown, and I resigned myself to their deaths. Their sacrifice would bring me intel on the site.

Spider bait is now the Administrator of his own holding, having beheaded the past leader.

Well then.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53525 on: March 27, 2019, 02:56:05 am »

I found a nice waterfall but then a zombie sturgeon killed all the dorfs.

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53526 on: March 27, 2019, 10:19:40 am »

Finished my first megaproject, just a gigantic tower. 157z levels if I counted correctly. WARNING the spoiler is a huge stonesense screenshot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It took 98k marble blocks and 77 ingame years to finish, but it was all worth it... I think.

Now I started a fort in a tiny world at year 2. The idea is to get 3 couples from the starting 7 and slowly build up a fort from their descendants and perhaps some non-dwarf residents from the nearby settlements. This time starting in Joyous Wilds, aiming for a more relaxing experience.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53527 on: March 27, 2019, 10:34:12 am »

It's... beautiful!

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53528 on: March 27, 2019, 11:58:14 am »

My fortress is insane with gremlins, I've managed to capture and tame a full dozen of them over thirty years. The largest number I've ever collected, I'm hoping that with just a little bit of DFhack I can get them to breed. There has been one gremlin though that has been a particular thorn in my side.

I had to seal off the cavern layer for a while because of a beast and this darn gremlin has been sneaking around avoiding the beast and letting things out of the cage traps completely ignoring the lever trap meant for it. Every couple of months for two or three years it made it's presence known. Even after taking down the beast and opening up the cavern for my many legendary observers again the little monster remained unseen somehow always finding the best animals before we could collect them.

Just now it finally pulled the lever to trigger a cavein and capture it. I cackled so loudly I startled my wife downstairs and made her think there were crows in the yard. I don't know if I want to bother taming and waiting for this one to become a citizen. I'm considering putting her on display or training her, turning her into a vampire, letting her revert and then releasing her since it's the only way I can think of "tagging" a wild gremlin to identify if it returns. If it can potentially show up stealthed again I think it would be fun to send my own gremlins to hunt down and slay the abomination. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53529 on: March 27, 2019, 12:56:50 pm »

Finished my first megaproject, just a gigantic tower. 157z levels if I counted correctly. WARNING the spoiler is a huge stonesense screenshot.
It took 98k marble blocks and 77 ingame years to finish, but it was all worth it... I think.

Now I started a fort in a tiny world at year 2. The idea is to get 3 couples from the starting 7 and slowly build up a fort from their descendants and perhaps some non-dwarf residents from the nearby settlements. This time starting in Joyous Wilds, aiming for a more relaxing experience.

FTFY. img height=600

Also that's a bigass goddam tower. Anything inside :[    ]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53530 on: March 27, 2019, 01:55:20 pm »

Another beast, this one with deadly blood. I got distracted, it got in instead of being trapped where I wanted it. Some citizens took it on in the main shaft, with axes of course, and a goblin and an elf were both exposed to the blood. Turns out it causes permanent necrosis. They're in the hospital with their faces rotting off and my hospital staff running back and forth cleaning them and excising rotten tissue. It's a small loss, they were both exceptionally well trained fighters, but if they survive they could prove a useful source of experience for my medical staff training diagnostics and surgery. Though I might consider putting in a special above ground hospital for them because of the miasma. Spending your day scooping rot out of an elf's eye socket is probably bad enough without being fifty levels below fresh air.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53531 on: March 27, 2019, 03:09:41 pm »

The simulation is getting too realistic for my tastes :(

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53532 on: March 27, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »

I think I speak for us all when I say... wow.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53533 on: March 27, 2019, 05:45:39 pm »

I think I speak for us all when I say... wow.

Big wows. Much wows all around.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53534 on: March 27, 2019, 07:26:09 pm »

Quick, put a single masterwork adamantine short sword in the top and fill it with demons!

This is so great! Do you plan to put water on that?
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 3567 3568 [3569] 3570 3571 ... 3836