Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3568 3569 [3570] 3571 3572 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5840979 times)

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53535 on: March 27, 2019, 10:11:37 pm »

Farmer had a strange mood, claimed a forge and made an adamantine scourge.
Now he's captain of the guard set to train all the time so he can build up the lasher skill
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53536 on: March 28, 2019, 05:05:59 am »

My friend and I are trying a succession fort with a pop cap around 12 - trying to only grow through babies. The time flies, so I did a 2 year turn. In that time, not a single friendship was made. I experimented with the tavern and chapel to see if I could encourage some friendships and budding romances. I finished my turn and sent it off - opened the wiki and I think the tavern's socialize activity doesn't encourage friendships - I think I need to disable all locations and just let them idle in the meeting call. Especially if I make it a bit smaller...

Ah well, someone else's turn now anyway.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53537 on: March 28, 2019, 07:27:08 am »

My friend and I are trying a succession fort with a pop cap around 12 - trying to only grow through babies. The time flies, so I did a 2 year turn. In that time, not a single friendship was made. I experimented with the tavern and chapel to see if I could encourage some friendships and budding romances. I finished my turn and sent it off - opened the wiki and I think the tavern's socialize activity doesn't encourage friendships - I think I need to disable all locations and just let them idle in the meeting call. Especially if I make it a bit smaller...

Here's an efficient guide to creating a heterosexual marriage between two dwarfs:

1. Find two dwarfs that are eligible. They must not be related. They must not be already married or widowed (If they have children that migrated with them, it doesn't mean they can't marry again). The age difference must be less than 10 years. They must be willing to marry a dwarf of the opposite gender. You can check that with the DFhack gaydar command.
2. Create a 2x2 room with two beds and assign them to the dwarfs that you want to hook up.
3. Disable all places where dwarfs hang out when idle. Taverns, temples, libraries, dining room and zoo, I think that's all. Make sure that every dwarf has a room assigned, or else they might start to idle at the point where your wagon first appeared.
4. Disable all labors on the two dwarfs.
5. Wait for a few weeks. In 80% of all cases, the dwarfs will be married within about 2 months. Sometimes they don't like each other though, and in this case you can often pair them up with another dwarf.

I also noticed that dwarfs procreate much better when all idling places except their marriage bed are disabled. You can make about 30 babies per 100 dwarfs and year. But you should enable the temple from time to time as a stress relief.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53538 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:33 am »

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53539 on: March 28, 2019, 10:41:32 am »

Also that's a bigass goddam tower. Anything inside :[    ]
It started as a fully functional livable fort, but at some point I realized that I'd run out of marble before reaching satisfying height, so some disassembling was required. In the end I ran out of materials and it still had 21z levels remaining before hitting the sky cap.

I have also started a fort like that and found that creating a burrow the size of 2x2 filling it with food and drinks, and assigning the two you want to get married to it is pretty effective.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53540 on: March 28, 2019, 02:18:50 pm »

Currently we celebrate the end of construction on the rain shield, a floored area above the tops of he trees the prevents rain from striking the aptly named Wethammer fortress. (It rains 90% of the year)

Work is almost done removing the remains of the goblin battle. (30 combatents)
When this is done we will continue to process the undead battle zone (60+ 500+ body parts) and continue to steal all the books from the now undefended tower.

Intermittent insanity from rain/corpses will continue unabated.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53541 on: March 28, 2019, 03:47:50 pm »

At long last after I don't know how many real years of trying over dozens of forts I have achieved a critical step in my goal of an unstoppable gremlin super soldier. A gremlin citizen has been born into my fort, a boy named Stakud Sitaloddom. His mother has been instructed to begin drowning the infant immediately to boost his endurance and toughness.

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53542 on: March 28, 2019, 07:16:50 pm »

One of the starting seven of Graniteglowed got his dumb ass trapped in the mines and died of thirst. And I roll my eyes.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53543 on: March 29, 2019, 04:00:05 am »

The new mayor is a baron consort.
A werelizard escaped from his room and attacked some random dorf. I should have walled him in. Fortunately and unfortunately, both him and the victim died.

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53544 on: March 29, 2019, 10:05:39 am »

So something has happened to my kingdom as a random dwarf from my fort was promoted to king. Also 2 other dwarfs were promoted to baroness of Bustpleats and the other one as baron of Manyarrows. Funnily enough they are married. I wonder what will happen with the inheritance if when they have kids and ultimately die.

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53545 on: March 29, 2019, 04:07:04 pm »

At the beginning of Year 3, and Graniteglowed is apparently at war with its own civilization... I'm not sure how that happened, but it's preventing trade caravans from showing up, so it seems I'm on my own for the time being. Fortunately there's plenty of iron and copper on the map, and migrants are turning up each season as normal.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53546 on: March 29, 2019, 06:01:21 pm »

I've recently been playing the hardest embark I can. After a bunch of advanced world gen shenanigans, I finally created the most terrifying world I could.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goblins, reanimation, non-blood evil rain, dead dwarves, rare metals; it has almost every evil possible. The world lacks only two things: towers, which are sort of difficult to add in since they're mutually exclusive of glaciers and tundras, and thralling clouds, which I was too lazy to bother getting, although the parameters should be more than capable of getting them with a few tries. Oh, right, and the spot I chose also has an aquifer.

That evil wasn't enough for me. I've already done that kind of embark before, and "won," as in setting up a functional fortress. No, this time I've decided to embark with nothing other than an anvil and a copper nugget. To make sure no migrants arrive from the non-existent dwarven civ, I turned hermit mode on via DFhack.

After an initial month of terror, I was finally able to get my pick forged and dig in. I dug out a little starter fort to keep my dwarves slightly more sane while my miner breached the aquifer.
The surface was tacitly dug in to allow for the freezing method to be performed on the aquifer (which ended up being 4z deep); the big dark blue box is actually made mostly of ice block floor with a little conglomerate where I was running low.

The starter fort used to have workshops and stockpiles in it, but has since been deserted to favor more lavish quarters.
The surface is constantly a lovely blue, reminiscent of the horrid slush constantly raining from the sky. It causes minor bruising as well as fevers.

By the time I finally reached the caverns, all of my dwarves spare for one was stressed. I lost one in an attempt at speeding the aquifer breach (cave-in), so only six dwarves remained to conquer the caverns.
After even more toil and a lot of fleeing from various cavern monsters, I was able to set up fully safe cavern walls by the end of the second year. There were two incidents with a cave croc and giant cave toad attacking dwarves, which caused trauma and mild injuries, but the fort's now experienced miner was able to put them down with pulping blows to the head. The incidents actually saved the fort from starvation, as the caverns completely lack plump helmets.
Since then, starvation has been fully staved off by a huge amount of quarry bushes, and a stable farm industry has been created. With little else to do, I've made over 400 pieces of cloth, several hundred of which have been dyed.

A small tavern has also enabled socializing and resulted in the eventual marriage of two couples, both of which have had children, bringing the population up to 10.
The other main floor, intended to be a bedroom floor, also has some workshops in it. To alleviate stress, lavish rooms have been given to everybody. I am also fortunate to note that childbirth, romance, and drinking slime (problem with the old fort, people washed in their water source) have resulted in excellent personality changes, and all of the six adults have traits that make them less susceptible to stress.

I'm currently in the process of planning a long-term fortress to serve as a fully automated survival bunker, and believe that I have survived long enough to call the fort a success. Of course, I'll continue to play the fort, as the idea of a long term fortress is alluring to me.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53547 on: March 29, 2019, 07:45:52 pm »

I didn't even know you could have caverns without plump helmets, maybe because I always bring some at embark and thus already have a bunch of them sporing away by the time I hit the caverns.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53548 on: March 30, 2019, 12:40:09 am »

Population reaches 220.
A neightbor hillocks looks to our thriving economy(actually we are very poor) for its future prosperity.

Oh, and someone is called Womenglazed.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53549 on: March 30, 2019, 08:05:41 am »

I didn't even know you could have caverns without plump helmets
Me neither, I knew of the caverns that have water level 0 and are devoid of all plant life, but I just specifically don't have plump helmets. None have grown in the caverns despite extensive gathering, although I suppose I could attempt to muddy a large area to see if they grow in the mud. I've got a few tiles of exposed mud in my farms, but those haven't yielded any results. I probably won't attempt anything, since I've already got a stable food supply.
Pages: 1 ... 3568 3569 [3570] 3571 3572 ... 3836