Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3576 3577 [3578] 3579 3580 ... 3625

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3241038 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53655 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:54 am »

Two migrant waves came, and I now have 8 picks, 5 more than I had at embark. I have no idea where those picks came from.

How else do you think they got to your mountain retreat?

Legacy game with a friend - 12 dwarves trying to grow through babies -

I get the file back woth three tantruming dwarves. There's a miasma problem in the kitchens, causing a lot of the distress. I clean things up and try to calm things down, but I just can't seem to get the moods improved.

Our baron, Erush, throws a tantrum and punches a dwarf clean through the skull.
The other tantruming dwarves get exiled, and an unfortunate accident is arranged for the baron. Before this can happen, she punches someone's foot off.

The population is down to 8, hoping to get 4 more migrants, and start rebuilding. We've yet to have a child after nearly 5 years.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:00:40 am by delphonso »

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • [inset cliche quote referring to profile picture]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53656 on: April 08, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »

We've yet to have a child after nearly 5 years.

I can help you with that. Make your tavern much smaller. I'm doing a challenge fort, and in addition to the irrelevant challenges, I'm also refusing to get any migrants with DFhack's hermit command. A tiny tavern (2x2 or 2x3, I used the latter) will make your dwarves adjacent when they idle, which will cause them to actually talk to each other and form relationships, eventually resulting in marriages and children. You will, of course, need to give everybody some free time. A year got me my two marriages in a similar setting.

Also, check and see if you've got any eligible couples. Make sure they're straight and within 10 years of each other's age. As a tip, you'll need two couples to successfully start a fortress via breeding, since brother/sister can't marry.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53657 on: April 08, 2019, 02:41:24 pm »

The year is 575, and every dwarf, elf, and human civ died out centuries ago. All that's left is one tiny kobold civ, and the largest goblin civ I've ever seen in my life

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Legends viewer says there's almost 65k goblins, 15k trolls, and 15k beak dogs inside all 180 sites of the Vice of Wines. Have a feeling we won't be getting any friendly neighbors showing up to trade any time soon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53658 on: April 08, 2019, 02:45:38 pm »

Yeah, I'd say you may wanna get some goblin grinders ready.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53659 on: April 08, 2019, 02:58:13 pm »

65k goblins... You probably can cage 50k before they stop sending troops. Would that be enough to take on the circus?

EDIT: in my fort, I notice a dwarf carrying some meat item out of the lower gate and into the caverns. I check because that doesn't look right. The dwarf had a chopped crundle liver, and was feeding it to a caged crundle. I am now worried about mad crundle disease.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:27:14 pm by anewaname »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53660 on: April 08, 2019, 06:29:15 pm »

You will, of course, need to give everybody some free time. A year got me my two marriages in a similar setting.

Thanks. Yeah, I flubbed my first turn by giving them enough free time, but the tavern was too big. The other player worked them to death, so I spent the first half of my turn just mitigating stress. I'm hoping to build up some friendships this turn with the time I have left.

There are two males and are eligible for the other 6 dwarves. Hopefully the migrant wave will bring in some more potential couples.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53661 on: April 09, 2019, 09:03:42 pm »

I... I can't believe it!
Spoiler: The legends are true! (click to show/hide)
In a time before time, I was David The Master.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
« Reply #53662 on: April 10, 2019, 05:33:07 am »

I... I can't believe it!

That is amazing!  I thought there must have been some code that prevents such creations.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53663 on: April 10, 2019, 11:21:41 am »

I... I can't believe it!

Hallelujah!

If you want more artifacts like that beauty, there's cheesy ways to make that happen. Have any dwarf without a moodable skill become a Dabbling Weaponsmith, and forbid all metal bars except the kind you want (like, say, more steel) when one of your Dabblers enters a mood.
Come play Mafia with us!
continue attacking deathsigs with our maul
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53664 on: April 10, 2019, 02:14:51 pm »

Not a fortress thing, but I finally figured out how to generate my kind of world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not around much anymore. I'll still check PMs though.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53665 on: April 10, 2019, 04:21:51 pm »

Hallelujah!

If you want more artifacts like that beauty, there's cheesy ways to make that happen. Have any dwarf without a moodable skill become a Dabbling Weaponsmith, and forbid all metal bars except the kind you want (like, say, more adamantine) when one of your Dabblers enters a mood.

FTFY

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53666 on: April 10, 2019, 04:51:03 pm »

Artifact adamantine hammers though...

I'm in favour of simply looking up snazzy artifacts then looting the hell outta the places which house them.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53667 on: April 10, 2019, 05:43:01 pm »

If you want more artifacts like that beauty, there's cheesy ways to make that happen. Have any dwarf without a moodable skill become a Dabbling Weaponsmith, and forbid all metal bars except the kind you want (like, say, more steel) when one of your Dabblers enters a mood.
I heard about it, but never actually tried, don't they just go crazy if they are looking for a specific liked metal though?
In a time before time, I was David The Master.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53668 on: April 10, 2019, 05:51:07 pm »

Nah, they prefer a liked metal I believe, but if it's not available any bars ... metal will do :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53669 on: April 10, 2019, 08:50:49 pm »

Nah, they prefer a liked metal I believe, but if it's not available any bars ... metal will do :P

I think you need to watch them closely. If they have a dream of making a masterwork and like specific metals and weapons - they might only make a weapon of that material.

--

So... In this small-cap legacy fort, I got a couple married. Now on my turn, they still haven't had a kid - it's been 2 years. I was under the impression kids happen like every year. Is there an age of infertility?
Pages: 1 ... 3576 3577 [3578] 3579 3580 ... 3625