Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3578 3579 [3580] 3581 3582 ... 3646

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3447093 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53685 on: May 03, 2019, 06:57:27 am »

Quote from: Worblehat link=topic=15096.msg7964740#msg7964740
Weird note: somehow pear leaves and flowers are growing in my underground pasture. I assume it has to do with the surface level having a pear tree trunk on that space.
Check the tile just above where the pear leaves are. There probably is a hole in the "ceiling" of your underground pasture from where a tree was cut down previously. This is dangerous since creatures can use it as a point of entry into your fort.

Zombies are wandering through peach trees, while dwarfs on the walls boast about the shots they are taking, "got him in the head again!". Somewhere near the fort, a zombie trips on a tangle of roots and slides headfirst into a crevice, stopping at the feet of a cow...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Can pronouce the R sound four different ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53686 on: May 03, 2019, 05:16:14 pm »

After digging out the main chambers for the future halls of the High Armoury, a number of veins of bituminous coal were discovered and subsequently digged up.
Almost a year later, the fortress has in excess of 200 coke and rapidly growing as the new Forge-halls are excaveted. One of my favorite parts of this game is gathering fuel, ores, and just gettinf things forged. itís unbelievably satiafying to watch the Dwarves working at the forges, using the vast quantities of Coke to forge vast quantities of steel to be forged into arms and armour for an army of 50 Dwarves, grim and dour, ready to march, to wage war upon the greenskins! The tallfolk! The Elvenkind! Ready to face the world and find the world sorely lacking in strength and skill! To rule! The world! To... uh...
Where was I going with this again?

Oh yeah, Forges are up.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Extended Sigtext
My wierd slow paced suggestion game

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53687 on: May 04, 2019, 09:09:59 pm »

Well the Tavern town of Lanceheld is holding up still, but not looking too promising... A lot of stressed out dwarves, losses still amounting to more than the kills... And the mistake of possibly hiring to many Entertainers. (Nearly equal to residents now!)

May get a little cruel and for the next elven siege may use them for the first line of defense. With weapons and armor to take of course! ...In dwarves sizes...

But on the more positive points got my third artifact, a donkey bone shield (first two being a wood crossbow and a leather mitten).

Also starting to branch out and taken a few goblin occupied forest retreats to setup possible attacks on elven lands even if they aren't technically at war yet...

Edit: And now have a visiting elf caravan, diplomat, and elf heavy performance group... Guess from the other civilization I've yet to tick off...

Double edit: And the performance group has one human, one goblin, and one traitor...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:25:41 pm by Shockwave07 »
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53688 on: May 05, 2019, 03:57:46 am »

Quote from: Worblehat link=topic=15096.msg7964740#msg7964740
Weird note: somehow pear leaves and flowers are growing in my underground pasture. I assume it has to do with the surface level having a pear tree trunk on that space.
Check the tile just above where the pear leaves are. There probably is a hole in the "ceiling" of your underground pasture from where a tree was cut down previously. This is dangerous since creatures can use it as a point of entry into your fort.

No, that's not it, like I said the tile immediately above is the pear tree trunk. I'm sure if I cut down that tree there would be a hole to floor over, but the siege needs to end before I can do that (and so many other things), and if I understand the Light Above Ground vs. Dark Subterranean distinction correctly I need to leave that tree intact in order for the pasture tile in question to continue being a possible moss/fungus location. The mysterious underground pear leaves and flowers died quickly, in any case.

Necro-siege is nearing the end of month four. Two zombies destroyed, finally. Even the armored ones can eventually be pounded down by enough bolts. "Only" 24 zombies to go...  ::) If the wiki page on sieges is correct about zombie sieges lasting for over a year if one tries to wait it out, I'll have to implement some sort of solution during this siege. Probably just make a lot of copper cages (don't have access to wood right now, unless I go annex part of the second caverns...), set up 24 cage traps, and get this over with.

Limb-separation physics is a bit weird. Somehow when a bolt shot off a zombie's leg, the leg flew up in the air and into the fortifications at the top level of the tower, landing inside with the marksdwarves.

Apparently caravans know when a destination is under siege and don't bother coming. So no elves this year.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53689 on: May 05, 2019, 09:30:12 am »

Most of the dwarves in my fortress are throwing tantrums, they get fell moods a lot, its how I got a master butcher. 

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53690 on: May 05, 2019, 05:31:23 pm »

My newest mercenary is a human pikeman who is 80 years old. He has 11 children and couldn't care less about them.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53691 on: May 05, 2019, 08:15:11 pm »

Is there any method for actively keeping your dwarfs warm beyond just making clothes or complicated magma devices? Can we make fireplaces or bonfires?

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53692 on: May 05, 2019, 08:18:50 pm »

Is there any method for actively keeping your dwarfs warm beyond just making clothes or complicated magma devices? Can we make fireplaces or bonfires?

Unless you have something that can start a fire, no. But maybe you can ship them off to conquer a warm biome location? XD
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • perpetually lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #53693 on: May 05, 2019, 08:32:31 pm »

One of my dwarves got a strange mood and claimed a Jeweler's Workshop. For !!SCIENCE!!, I forbade the rough almandines in the hopes of getting an artifact iron gem. Instead, I got an artifact iron grate encircled with bands of iron and cat leather, menacing with spikes of cacao wood. Where did the iron grate come from?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53694 on: May 05, 2019, 08:47:54 pm »

...Huh.

Sometimes moody jewelers will fashion artifact-quality crafts or furniture. Does your dwarf have a preference for grates?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • perpetually lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #53695 on: May 05, 2019, 09:08:20 pm »

Does your dwarf have a preference for grates?
No. In fact, she doesn't have a preference for any type of furniture or crafts. As far as items go, she only likes high boots.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53696 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:17 am »

New fort. I haven't moved my carpenter's workshop underground yet. First dwarven caravan arrived. I get a message "A kea has stolen a -apricot wood wheelbarrow-" I check the other keas on the map and I'm about to lose another two wheelbarows and three minecarts.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53697 on: May 07, 2019, 02:23:19 pm »

I didn't know animals stole things.Why would a bird need a wheelbarrow?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled shield user
    • View Profile
« Reply #53698 on: May 07, 2019, 02:50:36 pm »

Better question: How does a regular-sized kea steal a regular-sized wheelbarrow?
The shield is mightier than the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53699 on: May 07, 2019, 05:58:42 pm »

It trained up its STR stat
Pages: 1 ... 3578 3579 [3580] 3581 3582 ... 3646