Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3580 3581 [3582] 3583 3584 ... 3613

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3167918 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53715 on: April 24, 2019, 04:42:27 am »

Beast hunters prow the surface and can show up anytime tough.

Seems like that's the case:

"This visitor has come to relax and to slay beasts. He heard this was a good place to search for monsters."

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53716 on: April 24, 2019, 09:13:23 pm »

Wish me luck! This plan is 100% reliant on it.

Keep us posted!  This is fascinating.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Ain't no party like a troglodyte party because a troglodye party lacks floor space.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53717 on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:55 pm »

Embarked right next to a necromancer tower by accident.

The dead walked in the second year. Locked up and spend a year making cage traps. Second wave comes just as I trapped the first.

Now I am releasing them one by one in the arena. Ten crossbowmen went from noob to elite in a year. Corpses all over and no-one seems to mind.

Should I give wooden training weapons to my melee squads and let them have fun with the rest of the undead?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53718 on: April 24, 2019, 10:14:34 pm »

Absolutely not. Your dudes can get worn out, zeds can't. Give them actual weapons if you're going to do that.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53719 on: April 24, 2019, 10:29:57 pm »

Sending dwarfs in with wood weapons might be a bad idea; undead do not get tired or feel pain, so they are more likely to put a dwarf at a disadvantage during a fight (a punch to the lungs, guts, or legs, then the dwarf falls over and the undead gets better momentum). The important question is, did you take away armor and weapons from the undead? I have seen 5 or 6 inexperienced dwarfs with copper armor and axes fail against just one armored undead (one of the dwarfs died before they killed it because so many shots were deflected by the armor)..... or, what Splint wrote!

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53720 on: April 25, 2019, 01:36:30 am »

The oceanside fortress Chillbeach of the Mellow Guild has been locked down while under a zombie siege, and to get wood for coal to forge weapons to fight off the invaders the deep caverns have been breached. While gathering wood a blind cave ogress stomped up and smashed apart the underground door, then hung around not bothering the working dwarves. A replacement door was smashed but since the ogress only seems hostile to furniture the Chillbeach dwarves have decided to live and let live.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53721 on: April 25, 2019, 08:22:55 am »

Wish me luck! This plan is 100% reliant on it.

Keep us posted!  This is fascinating.

Glad you're enjoying it!

It seems I underestimated the stupidity dogged determination of dwarven migrants. We had a couple of migrant-less seasons, but the fortress got back up to 40 dwarves despite losing a few to insanity.

As for the lighthouse plan, I lucked out and caught a fire imp relatively quickly. I opted to use a disarmed goblin to get the fire imp to start breathing fire just to guarantee hostility. Initially, it didnít work. The fire didnít spread to adjacent clothing, just the ones that were directly in the line of fire (heh). Fortunately, I was able to recapture the fire imp and reset everything no problem.

Thinking back to the aftermath of the dragon attack, I remembered that my charcoal stockpile caught on fire and WOULD NOT STOP BURNING! It was hot enough to boil any water dumped on it directly. So, I piled some charcoal around the pedestal. Even put some on display for good measure.

IÖ think it worked? Itís hard to say. Something is producing smoke, but I canít locate any !!Charcoal!! or !!Dumb Artifacts!!. Putting things in containers seems to confuse the game regarding flammability sometimes. I still have some !!Vermin!! listed in the Animals screen after the dragon burned their Animal Traps.

Just to be sure, I tried again with the addition of 4 magma crabs I caught in the meantime. Nothing changed, but Iím reasonably comfortable with the results. Unfortunately, the light chamber is now a blood-soaked, garbage-strewn mess rather than the gleaming beacon of clear glass and sterling silver itís supposed to be. Cleanup will have to wait until the fortress is no longer under siege. With only 10 military dwarves, only 5 of which are any good, itís best to just hole up and wait it out.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:24:54 am by Vicious_Unicycle »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53722 on: April 25, 2019, 09:27:47 am »

Been building an aboveground village/fort and just noticed that one of the buildings' roof was missing a corner. So, now I'm wondering if I've accidentally felled a tree next to the building and it clipped the roof or have the pieces just mysteriously vanished, hmm...

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53723 on: April 25, 2019, 02:30:27 pm »

I have had some weirdness with building on passable tree tiles too, always been clearing before building nowadays.
In a time before time, I was David The Master.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53724 on: April 25, 2019, 03:12:54 pm »

I have had some weirdness with building on passable tree tiles too, always been clearing before building nowadays.
Now that I think of it, I experienced this same issue in a previous fort (maybe a year ago?). Had totally forgot about. Oh well, luckily it was just a minor inconvenience, and the building is now fixed.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53725 on: April 25, 2019, 05:00:08 pm »

:'( i'm still not over Candletowers - i don't feel ready to start a new fort yet :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53726 on: April 25, 2019, 05:11:29 pm »

Building up an above ground tavern... And finally getting my first fort to survive past vermin hunting.

But now have had a strange mood Dwarf go insane, kill another Dwarf, many visitors, 3 human bard petitioners, a weretoirtise who killed a hunter, who is now a violent ghost.

Fun!
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53727 on: April 25, 2019, 11:42:13 pm »

Try to get a macabre mood dwarf to murder the ghost!
In a time before time, I was David The Master.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53728 on: April 26, 2019, 04:09:45 am »

In a short but surprisingly productive evening, I finally understood what this new (to me) Needs system is all about. Between the Needs tab in Dwarf Therapist and the Needs page on the wiki, I should be able to manage things much better from now on. Wasn't bad yet, but now I should be able to keep it that way. And I finally understand the difference between purple and green praying.  :P

Also hit the second cavern layer; much more interesting than the first, with all those spore trees. And lesson learned, building a floor is not the ideal way to seal the breach since it strands the construction-dwarf. I think the better method would be to construct an up stair to replace the mined up/down stair, but I'll have to try that next time to be sure.

Wimpy marksdwarves have switched their physical training program from air-pumping to joining the melee dwarves in wrestling practice. I'm figuring that they'll gain the strength and endurance they so desperately need faster that way, plus they'll gain some dodge and armor use skill that might come in handy.

Bumped up the population cap to 30, got the four new migrants, all pretty useless as expected. But anyone can haul stuff! And do basic construction - thinking of walling off my pasture now that the archery tower is about finished.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53729 on: April 26, 2019, 03:04:02 pm »

CraftRiddle FINALLY has a working drawbridge in the entry tunnel under the wooden walls.  Tested it out.  Now just just have to keep working on the walls.

In other words our 110 subjects are safe.  But I have noticed they really suck at attending the fields yet, looking over our Kitchen lists, it seems much of our food comes from the surrounding fruit trees, bushes, wild animals, creek and ocean.  Lots of food from wild meat, sea food, fruits, and nuts.  Plus what we sometimes get from Traders.

The Farmers, in fact, seem very ineffective as the fields sometimes have things rotting away.  Thinking about abandoning the below ground fields and just working with the above ground ones.  Could my settlement live mostly on food and meats gathered, fished, or hunted from the lands?

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 3580 3581 [3582] 3583 3584 ... 3613