Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3586 3587 [3588] 3589 3590 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855070 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53805 on: May 23, 2019, 04:34:04 pm »

I've noticed that-- it seems encounters between civilians and wildlife typically are at Encounter, Brawl or Non-Lethal levels. Even the bite-ier animals usually bite to cripple rather than to kill, and your civvy will stop punching the animal once it becomes "overcome with terror" and stops fighting. It's only when the military gets involved that things escalate to No Quarter and the weapons come out.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53806 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:05 pm »

What are you referring to? The temple?
I was referring to the two pictures in my post, the second of which depicts a pile of dead bodies, created by a giant cave spider, as implied by the first.

It may be better to not involve the military when a giant cave spider shows up since they respond to on-duty military with rapid-fire webbings and you can easily lose 20 legendary axedwarfs in a corridor. But that one civilian who is startled by a giant cave spider has a good chance to survive and even win.
I've noticed that-- it seems encounters between civilians and wildlife typically are at Encounter, Brawl or Non-Lethal levels. Even the bite-ier animals usually bite to cripple rather than to kill, and your civvy will stop punching the animal once it becomes "overcome with terror" and stops fighting. It's only when the military gets involved that things escalate to No Quarter and the weapons come out.
I didn't know that. That's good advice.

In my situation, it had already killed five monster hunters, and was in the process of killing a civilian who was trying to haul their stuff away. I was screening migrants when the whole thing happened, so I didn't pay any attention to it until there were already 5 bodies. So I decided it didn't need to go on any longer and drafted the entire fort into the military. "Let's go out with a bang," I thought, or something like that.

It made sense in my head, before I did it.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

HYSTYS

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear no mask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53807 on: May 23, 2019, 06:10:28 pm »

I think it's the end.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53808 on: May 23, 2019, 06:17:15 pm »

Seal them in via burrows when they return to normal. Rescue only those uninfected. The fortress will survive, but it will take great pains and effort.

HYSTYS

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear no mask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53809 on: May 23, 2019, 06:37:30 pm »

Seal them in via burrows when they return to normal. Rescue only those uninfected. The fortress will survive, but it will take great pains and effort.

Everyone is infected.

Grimbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53810 on: May 23, 2019, 06:40:10 pm »

It sounds like an adorable ending, though.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53811 on: May 23, 2019, 06:41:12 pm »

Great! Seal 'em all off, and wait for migrants. Alternatively, play Hedgehog Fortress. Nothing wrong with Hedgehog Fortress.

klonk
Sigtext

HYSTYS

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear no mask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53812 on: May 23, 2019, 06:41:41 pm »

It is. Well, this fort was fun, time to move on. At least its downfall was entertaining.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53813 on: May 23, 2019, 06:51:59 pm »

Leave a stock of tools outside then. Bit of food, some picks and axes, maybe weapons and armor for a replacement militia. And when trouble comes, funnel them into the werehogs. Either they'll slaughter the lot or the werehogs will slaughter them. Win-win!

Or not. Jesus.

Embarking upon a quest for a perfect site in terms of neighbors with a few modded in ones. World gen has proven.... Unkind to the invader ones.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53814 on: May 24, 2019, 04:12:42 am »

I've played a lot of DF but my current fort is about 1 season away from being my first generation fort.  I've never had a fort last 12+ years before.
Congratulations. i've only once had one fort survive 4 years.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53815 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:53 pm »

It made sense in my head, before I did it.

That applies to so, so many experiences in this game.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53816 on: May 24, 2019, 09:31:39 pm »

My possessed dwarf would not move even if i spawned(adamantine cloth, adamantine wafers and steel leather (DFhack) ) and made (cow thread, adamantine wafers and cow leather) required materials for that artifact.
Is this a bug or something?
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53817 on: May 24, 2019, 10:49:44 pm »

Is the dwarf asking for adamantine specifically? If it's just asking for "bars... metal", it might have a specific preferred metal in mind. Check the dwarf's preferences list; you might be able to work it out from there.

klonk
Sigtext

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53818 on: May 24, 2019, 11:47:10 pm »

Presuming he claimed a workshop, you should be able to see what materials he claimed already and guess what he is missing by watching his list (or what he might need multiples of). If he is not in his shop and he stopped moving, maybe he was interrupted by something.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

zhamz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53819 on: May 25, 2019, 03:21:42 am »

My possessed dwarf would not move even if i spawned(adamantine cloth, adamantine wafers and steel leather (DFhack) ) and made (cow thread, adamantine wafers and cow leather) required materials for that artifact.
Is this a bug or something?

If you've already used DFHack to spawn in items then use DFHack 'showmood' to see what he wants.
Pages: 1 ... 3586 3587 [3588] 3589 3590 ... 3836