Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3587 3588 [3589] 3590 3591 ... 3623

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3231668 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53820 on: May 15, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »

It's not about it being the largest, it's about it being invisible and wielding a silver warhammer.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53821 on: May 15, 2019, 03:32:54 pm »

It's not about it being the largest, it's about it being invisible and wielding a silver warhammer.
*silver cooking spoon :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • [inset cliche quote referring to profile picture]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53822 on: May 16, 2019, 08:10:40 am »

Just to spice things up, I'm doing a "lets just kill stuff" kind of fort with goblins. Things have been going well for a while; population has steadily increased, the military has had good success on raids, and metalwork has gone well thanks to an abundance of limonite.

Until the dwarves retaliated, at least. One hundred and thirty eight enemy soldiers and thirteen stupid horses (which just ran around in terror) laid siege to my "fortress" of goblins. This was my first siege, late in the third year, so I was expecting more like thirty. Apparently destroying four decently populated (~100 each) dwarf settlements really ticks them off.

The battle went well enough: only six casualties out of my fifty-strong milita (actually seventy, but two squads are too new to fight), although more might die from their wounds. In exchange, not a single enemy soldier got off the map. Only a few of the constantly terrified horses fled.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, I believe the siege was more psychological than physical. Cleanup is gonna suuck, and at the very least the dwarves have succeeded in preventing further raids for a year or so while replacements train up to a decent skill level and the military does the gruntwork of hauling corpses.
!!SCIENCE!!
The AFM
Stories:
Badwild
Suckerdungeons

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53823 on: May 16, 2019, 08:30:09 am »

cleanup of the monster slayers who died during their hobby in the first layer of caverns could've been the ruin of my otherwise successful fort:
everyone was too busy cleaning up to build the entrance drawbridge and link it to a lever.
then a werelizard showed up and got slain by the first strike of a newly arriving axedorf before even trying to bite him.

in other news, i hope the Police won't kick in my door:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53824 on: May 16, 2019, 08:07:11 pm »

Initialized a new fortress, realizes that the initialized fort is the final remaining fortress of a civ.
And a dorf got his arms (or hand) mangled while cutting a tree
(In dwarf fortress, tree cut you!)
Fortunately one has dfhack.
P.S a goblin civ has 2000 civilized entities and is approximately 5-10 days of travel away from my fort.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:43:59 am by Craftsdwarf boi »
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53825 on: May 16, 2019, 08:31:10 pm »

Still on Practicebanners, I did some inventory, and realized I have more resting places for the dead than for the living. I am in the process of making more beds

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53826 on: May 17, 2019, 03:26:37 am »

About the third year of the fortress and the Dwarven caravan showed up shortly before a modest siege, two squads of Gobbos and about three squads of Trolls. Weapon traps thinned them out, the military dispatched the rest without even a scratch, was very pleased.

The caravan however was not, and packed up and buggered off without trading. I looked through the event log, a giant wolf seems to have interrupted the progress of one of them before being dispatched by one of their guards, there were two yak cows walking around aimlessly.

Quite annoyed, my finished goods stockpile was bursting already, now i'll have to wait for the humans next year

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53827 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:34 am »

Im curious why I having gotten sieges yet. I'm happy about this but it seems odd, could it be because I'm not at war with anyone?

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53828 on: May 17, 2019, 08:45:31 am »

Im curious why I having gotten sieges yet. I'm happy about this but it seems odd, could it be because I'm not at war with anyone?
It is most likely that your civilization is not at war with anyone, or that no significant goblin (or another evil race) settlement exists in your world.
...and Engine Heart!
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53829 on: May 17, 2019, 01:54:01 pm »

So, thanks to the wonders of water pressure and some poor planning on my part while digging out a drowning chamber, I accidentally completely flooded the entire library and the hallway leading to the bedrooms, as well as partially flooding the tavern/temple. Fortunately none of my dwarves were in the library at the time (bunch of illiterate bastards...), but every single visiting scholar drowned.

After draining off all the water, I decided to rename the library something more appropriate. What had been The Vault of Letters would become Drownedvault.

Which, funnily enough, in the dwarven language is Addorubbul. I guess accidentally turning your library into a death chamber could be considered cute by dwarven standards.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53830 on: May 17, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »

It is most likely that your civilization is not at war with anyone, or that no significant goblin (or another evil race) settlement exists in your world.
it could also be the case that attacking enemies come across another settlement and after pillaging already return without ever getting to your place.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53831 on: May 17, 2019, 03:21:52 pm »

So I'm lucky, cool

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53832 on: May 17, 2019, 03:55:38 pm »

Have you made a bug report?

This sounds like exactly the kind of thing Toady needs to hear about:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

I didn't think of that. I'm actually not even sure how to make a bug report. Honestly, I see it as one of those "It's not a bug, it's a feature" situations. It doesn't seem to break anything. If I can figure out the bug reporting process, I might report it anyway.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53833 on: May 17, 2019, 05:39:48 pm »

So, thanks to the wonders of water pressure and some poor planning on my part while digging out a drowning chamber, I accidentally completely flooded the entire library and the hallway leading to the bedrooms, as well as partially flooding the tavern/temple. Fortunately none of my dwarves were in the library at the time (bunch of illiterate bastards...), but every single visiting scholar drowned.

After draining off all the water, I decided to rename the library something more appropriate. What had been The Vault of Letters would become Drownedvault.

Which, funnily enough, in the dwarven language is Addorubbul. I guess accidentally turning your library into a death chamber could be considered cute by dwarven standards.
Either that or anytime a human says something is adorable, they look at each other and take a step back! XD
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53834 on: May 18, 2019, 07:32:09 am »

Just the usual ....
A WEREMOUSE INVADING OUR FORTRESS MURDERING PETS AND FOREIGN MERCHANTS (THE DWARVES COMPLETELY OBLITERATED IT) AND IT IS STILL NOT WORTHY OF AN ENGRAVING WHILE A COMMON METALSMITH ENTERS A FEY MOOD, PRODUCING AN ARTIFACT ADAMANTINE BLADE STUDDED WITH ONYX.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:46:07 am by Craftsdwarf boi »
...and Engine Heart!
Pages: 1 ... 3587 3588 [3589] 3590 3591 ... 3623