Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3588 3589 [3590] 3591 3592 ... 3624

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3236213 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53835 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:23 am »

These fool pets allowed their dwarf to die, which opened up a clause in their contract with the fort....
D�bar Oltarustuth, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
S�kzul Koshlimul, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
Melbil �stost, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
Iden Gegetkol, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
Nomal Lanirnish, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.

And... Rakust Cilobduthnur, Potash Maker has created �ltang Gudid, a adamantine war hammer! 

LadySerpentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53836 on: May 18, 2019, 07:53:55 am »

Just got what I believe to be my very first ever Forgotten Beast! Which led to a bit of a tale. Sure do wish nesting spoilers worked so this wouldn't eat half the page...

I thought that the worldgen fort I was reclaiming had no cavern access. I don't know why I was at all confident of this, since I had recently been shown a totally new section of it by a kobold thief, but I was very quickly proven wrong. This is... Something of a problem, because this fort has never seen a serious threat before. The only dwarf to have ever seen combat is Olon Kenudib and, well...

...her record isn't particularly awe-inspiring, even if you include the first Kobold she encountered, who ran away rather than face an unarmed dwarf. (Although the way she killed the other is a story in itself.)

Spoiler: Olon's Second Kill (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still, our other recruits are brave enough, despite their lack of training. It had direct access to the only level of the reclaimed fort that Yelledseals is actually starting to make use of, and it just so happened to arrive right as several dwarves were storing wood down there. One of the recruits, fortunately, was with the party at the time - you can see him holding the beast off while the rest, including his lover, escape.

Olon, however, has other plans. She found what seems to be an abandoned armory on her way back from killing the kobold thief, and now she's planning to make good use of it. As are the rest of the dwarves, since one of them was enlisted to build a wall there and remembers that it might be safe...

Spoiler: The armory (click to show/hide)

The last remaining member of the militia? A newly-married captain, first appointed to a separate squad so she could guard the exit while Olon chased down the the thief. She's currently thirteen floors up, making her way down to help distract Thepani. Her husband, on the other hand, is one of the four who were hauling wood.

Zuglar falls quickly, the toad having no need for its poison - the one thing to be thankful for is that, unnaturally large or not, toads don't seem to be good at biting, since it tried but couldn't get past his clothes. And now Ast is but a floor away. With the civilians already running and Thepani separated from them by two doors it's going to have to break down, she should arrive in time to let them get away.

...although with Olon (currently back to civilian in hopes she'll run away) having gotten lost on the way to the armory despite it being a straight run down the central shaft, this plan may have some issues.

Olon escapes, the beast stopping to topple a tanner's shop after maiming her. The trouble is that while Thepani doesn't seem inclined to give chase, Ast just showed up, and now she's needlessly endangered, since everyone else is safely below for the time being. Well, with the admittedly-important exception of our chief medical dwarf, but she's getting away too.

Ast escapes even less harmed than Olon, and - after a bit of Benny Hill with pathing where it went to the previously-safe path and forced the chief medical dwarf to go back the way she just had along the previously-locked path - everyone arrives safety in the armory.

...unfortunately, lacking any safe access to food, booze, and water -and with Ast having bravely, but foolishly, charged up from the armory to try to restore the safety of the fortress after I cancelled her orders to because she wasn't properly equipping herself, which I didn't get a good screenshot of - the settlement soon passed quietly into the night.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53837 on: May 18, 2019, 09:20:49 am »

I enjoyed that.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53838 on: May 18, 2019, 11:07:22 am »

Playing some modded masterwork, ill save the mundane details but i've been spending time playing with humans forced onto the surface and after a stumbly start i think im beggining to understand some ideas i can take back with me to regular DF mode about construction practices aboveground to build better defended and more architectually robust buildings.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53839 on: May 18, 2019, 11:48:14 am »

I build scaffolds out of up/down staircases I just cant wrap my brain around other methods.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53840 on: May 18, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »

desperately trying to find a world with a good embark place for a fort on a peak/hilltop with defenses like the castle Hohenzollern.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i'm here, i'm queer, and i wanna go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53841 on: May 18, 2019, 05:36:19 pm »

i nearly lost a brand new fort to a weretortoise migrant from the last fort
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53842 on: May 18, 2019, 08:48:16 pm »

A sand titan made of smoke came along and I was terrified. Ordered my squads to kill it, killed it in like two hits with no casualties.
Just a guy who doesn't know how to play Dwarf Fortress.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53843 on: May 18, 2019, 09:07:38 pm »

Have you made a bug report?

This sounds like exactly the kind of thing Toady needs to hear about:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

I didn't think of that. I'm actually not even sure how to make a bug report. Honestly, I see it as one of those "It's not a bug, it's a feature" situations. It doesn't seem to break anything. If I can figure out the bug reporting process, I might report it anyway.
In the short term it is a undocumented feature of the game. Free Sand is cool. In the long term something is clearly not working as intended, which means that it's probably causing other problems, and fixing it should be somewhere on Toadys massive to-do list.

The process is pretty simple. You set up an account at:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt
One of the links on the top is a "Report Issue" link. Eventually somebody who works with taody reads your report, and either tells you you just duplicated another report, or or does some more research to figure out what was happening. Said research frequently involves the bug reporter uploading the save to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot or answering more questions.

This particular big sounds a lot like this:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9479
0009479: Growth of floating tree causes random collapses on clear cut area.
Which is related to:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6831
0006831: Trees spawned in mid-air create a blob of red sand on the floor.

So it's possible the best thing to do isn't report the issue, but add info on the thread for 9479. Note these are both from '14, they link to a report from 2010, so I would not worry that Toady will immediately drop everything and push out a release quashing this bug next Tuesday.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • perpetually lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #53844 on: May 18, 2019, 09:08:54 pm »

An ettin came along, and was caged almost immediately. A few days later, a werellama, the first werecreature in real-life years, attacked my fort. It was at that moment, I learned that werecreatures are trapavoid. Fingers crossed, hopefully no one's infected.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53845 on: May 18, 2019, 10:51:37 pm »

An ettin came along, and was caged almost immediately. A few days later, a werellama, the first werecreature in real-life years, attacked my fort. It was at that moment, I learned that werecreatures are trapavoid. Fingers crossed, hopefully no one's infected.

The good thing about dwarves being werecreatures is that they no longer get attacked by werecreatures of that same type

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Scholar on the topic of Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53846 on: May 19, 2019, 11:07:25 am »

When so,ething with trapavoid co,es alon, I set pff the burrows, shut the doors, and wait for it to bugger off.
My Sigtext
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.

Faith in yourself is essential. Faith in Humanity is sometimes redundant.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53847 on: May 19, 2019, 05:22:11 pm »

Wadedshoots fell years ago amid the terrible wars against the Cannibals and The Cult. A group of seven set out from the cave in which Baroness Ushrir Brasstower, the last noble of The Held Papers, resided and held power over the Papers' paltry 74 other dwarves. None who departed had seen Wadedshoots before its fall, and so they resolved to rename it Papercut - after all, what more annoying thing is there that causes such pain?

They will find the monster that stole this fortress from them, and secure the future of The Held Papers. No force in this world will prevent this goal.

Upon arrival, they were greeted by the eerie sight of the purified, specifically a pair of humans, who were taken and changed by the otherworldly being that inhabited the plains outside the fortress. They also found abandoned in the depot a bounty of clothing, iron armor and weapons, and trinkets, and an abandoned inn. The purified fell easily to Moldath's iron blade. Soon after, two thieves, an elf and a hated swine appeared, the the three-dwarf militia attacked them on the spot on the Expedition Leader's orders.

No potential spies or scavengers will be tolerated, and once they fall, they will delve the depths and strike the monster lurking thier ancestral halls if able.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53848 on: May 19, 2019, 05:31:58 pm »

if built soon enough, the entryway of hohenzollern castle is very efficient
however, a werebeast entered too fast to close the gate and while waiting for dorfs to turn into werebulls in the hospital the game crashed.
well, seems like the linux 44.12 isn't as stable as the 44.09
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53849 on: May 19, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »

For whatever reason this place is attracting a ton of theives (and not in the "skulking to take your shit" manner.) I've killed a dozen now so far, which on the up side is providing an opportunity to test out my corpse incinerator and hardening my militadorfs and leveling their skills up.

EDIT: Ahaaaa, I see. The Mint Date, the abandoned inn, is technically open again now that there's occupants in the fort. Seems old locations are saved and "reactivated" in a manner of speaking when a fort's reclaimed.
Pages: 1 ... 3588 3589 [3590] 3591 3592 ... 3624