Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3589 3590 [3591] 3592 3593 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857360 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53850 on: May 27, 2019, 11:17:15 am »

You certainly should be; well done! :D :thumbs_up: You have earned the Boatmurdered/Roomcarnage medal of achievement in the field of magma engineering!

What power source did you use?

Thankee sir!

I drew water off the nearby river for power (before it got obsidianized, that is). I've got an underground moat surrounding the fortress proper, with holes punched into it for the waterwheels. You can see a fair chunk of the setup in that screenshot.

Only trouble is... well, the whole thing freezes in the wintertime. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to pump in a magma moat under my water moat to keep it nice and toasty. (Powering magma with more magma! What could possibly go wrong?)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53851 on: May 27, 2019, 01:09:40 pm »

I’d never seen a macabre or a fell mood until this fort. Now I’ve seen both. A cap hopper bone bracelet and a dwarf bone crown are now proudly (?) displayed in our artifact gallery.

The liaison spent two whole seasons wandering around the fort, showing no sign of wanting to leave. So of course they became desperate to get out the moment a 100-goblin siege showed up. I carved a path to the caverns, and the liaison ignored the nearby map edge and trekked halfway across the map to where a giant bat was hanging out. The giant bat has now earned the name Nokorvush.

Tantrum deaths decreased when I burrowed everyone away from the slime-covered surface, but increased when I drafted everyone in the vain hope that some of them would be happier if they had a chance to train. Even though they were all set to “Inactive” they trained themselves miserable -- that’s dwarven discipline for you! The barracks have now been decommissioned.

(Current population: 125. Coffins filled, mostly due to tantrums: 186. Yikes, 44.10 is rough.)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53852 on: May 27, 2019, 02:10:15 pm »

(Current population: 125. Coffins filled, mostly due to tantrums: 186. Yikes, 44.10 is rough.)

You should see the crypts of Helmsdreamy! They aren't from tantrum deaths cuz i'm running 44.05 on that one but boy howdy I've seen some serious !!Fun!! there.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53853 on: May 27, 2019, 02:23:58 pm »

I’d never seen a macabre or a fell mood until this fort. Now I’ve seen both. A cap hopper bone bracelet and a dwarf bone crown are now proudly (?) displayed in our artifact gallery.

The liaison spent two whole seasons wandering around the fort, showing no sign of wanting to leave. So of course they became desperate to get out the moment a 100-goblin siege showed up. I carved a path to the caverns, and the liaison ignored the nearby map edge and trekked halfway across the map to where a giant bat was hanging out. The giant bat has now earned the name Nokorvush.

Tantrum deaths decreased when I burrowed everyone away from the slime-covered surface, but increased when I drafted everyone in the vain hope that some of them would be happier if they had a chance to train. Even though they were all set to “Inactive” they trained themselves miserable -- that’s dwarven discipline for you! The barracks have now been decommissioned.

definitely needs some more balancing, but as long as 44.12 isnt stable on linux, i'll keep on playing the 44.09 then.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

MutationIvori

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53854 on: May 27, 2019, 05:01:28 pm »

Hello, I'm new.

And this is my dwarf Zon Medenalath.
She's a beekeeper, and, as of some executive decision, militia captain.

Except she's actually a Vampire.

But that's not the problem. I was expecting her, and had an execution chamber ready. And she would be dead, or providing my fortress with FUN! ... if she hadn't been praying and meditating since she arrived.

A year ago.

Her god must have gotten sick of her and given her the curse. It was a poor decision on the god's part. That said I have an immortal table-guest talking to liasons that won't leave, and hasn't drank my dwarves dry. Huh.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:41:10 pm by MutationIvori »

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53855 on: May 27, 2019, 07:25:34 pm »

Hello, I'm new.

And this is my dwarf Zon Medenalath.
She's a beekeeper, and, as of some executive decision, militia captain.

A vampire meditating on the dawn?  Is she mourning the sun she now fears or perhaps contemplating suicide by sunlight?  I hope it isn't the second one, 'cause that doesn't happen in DF-land. 
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #53856 on: May 27, 2019, 11:22:37 pm »

My dwarves, among the last of their civilization, reclaimed the old mountainhome (non-player fort) of Bronzeyouth, which had been destroyed over 150 years ago by a Forgotten Beast. I purposefully didn't check to see what kind of beast it was so I'd be surprised. We sealed off the fortress proper and stayed in the above-ground portion, forging weapons and training for the first year. We had some good luck starting out: we had five melee dwarves, and lo and behold there were five complete suits of copper armor just sitting in the trade depot when we arrived. I took this as a good omen.

Second spring comes along and my dwarves are looking ready to go. We open the fortress and start exploring. Soon we find the creature - an enormous salamander that (appropriately) shot balls of fire, curled up in one of the old bedrooms. Two militia dwarves get in there with it, a speardwarf and a marksdwarf (who was also the broker) - but the room becomes so hot that everyone else stays outside. It's just these two locked in a burning closet with the beast.

Then I check the dwarves' relationships: turns out they have a grudge against each other! I can just imagine their last thoughts: Of all the people I could have burnt to death with...

The beast ended up suffocating after the speardwarf severed its spine, but the two dwarves were slowly incinerated in the aftermath: only the broker's shoes remained. The beast's corpse is on its way to the butcher's.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53857 on: May 28, 2019, 12:11:57 am »

I drew water off the nearby river for power (before it got obsidianized, that is). I've got an underground moat surrounding the fortress proper, with holes punched into it for the waterwheels. You can see a fair chunk of the setup in that screenshot.

Only trouble is... well, the whole thing freezes in the wintertime. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to pump in a magma moat under my water moat to keep it nice and toasty. (Powering magma with more magma! What could possibly go wrong?)
Ah, running water would definitely help for power. Good luck with the magma heater. "More magma!" is a perfectly dwarfy approach to solving problems.

But that's not the problem. I was expecting her, and had an execution chamber ready. And she would be dead, or providing my fortress with FUN! ... if she hadn't been praying and meditating since she arrived.

A year ago.
Maybe booze withdrawal making her super-slow at everything she does? Interesting situation there...

---
On topic:

Reload; send axe lords out in training configuration (no shields), they trivially dismember the were-skink with no injuries to anyone.

New lesson learned: finish dumping all the items from a batch of caged zombies before reclaiming any of them in the dump. And closely micromanage the dumping process because Urist McStupidtidy will sometimes drop into the dump to clean the blood... ::)

Zombie-dropping is going slowly but safely. I think I'll need to dig a new dump to strip their gear into, since the current indoor dump is full of miasma from the were-skink parts at the moment. Might need an alternate main shaft down toward the caverns too, so that I can have one dedicated to cage-dumping and one dwarves can actually use to get down there and keep digging.

Early warning statues have been built, but not placed yet. I'd prefer weather that's not snow+rain (preferably not even rain, but I'm not sure that's possible in this embark) before sending dwarves outside.

A bit of biome weirdness - the low elevation biome (I think swamp or forest) is covered in snow, while the high elevation biomes (mountain and something else) are snow-free.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53858 on: May 28, 2019, 07:35:16 am »

A bit of biome weirdness - the low elevation biome (I think swamp or forest) is covered in snow, while the high elevation biomes (mountain and something else) are snow-free.

Maybe the air in your biome is very cold, so where there is less air, it is warmer.

Grimbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53859 on: May 28, 2019, 12:21:29 pm »

With the Dwarves of Reignboot losing their colective minds over the mashed-elf pile in front of the fort, a hero was chosen to infiltrate the Elven homeland and defeat them once and for all. They must be stopped before more of their bodies can be allowed choke out doorway and lead to mental strife.

A merry band was chosen, consisting of Bim the Grizzly Bear Man warrior, his trusty sidekick Nish the Dwarven Drunk, the goblin sage Nuglush, and the Elven Bowman Stasost. It was decided that the party should travel and bond over poetry and drunken revelry on their way North. And on their second week of travel, they heard news of a small camp of bandits to the West of a small hamlet they were staying in. It was decided to liberate the land from the criminals first, as this should be no problem for such a well-armed group.

The party had, in the previous weeks, slain a group of dark elves on the march and even Nuglush the sage had proven to be a fierce opponent. And Bim himself was already locally famous for beating a horse to death with its own foal. And then knocking a giant lark unconscious by throwing the dead horse's heart at it.

After a few more day's travel, the party arrived at the camp and found a lone goblin guarding the road. Bim engaged the goblin in a heated debate over the value of law. The goblin lost the debate when Bim took his head off with his iron axe.

Deeper in the camp were a sleeping human and a sleeping goblin bandit. The Master of the camp, however, was awake. Bim again engaged the leader in debate over law and order. The Master claimed not to care abut anything but martial prowess, and Bim agreed to settle things that way.

Bim slashed with his sword, and the Master ducked aside. As Bim came around for a second swing, he realized with some disappointment that his shield-paw had been lopped clean off. The battle was already over.

Bim dropped to his knees and, not knowing what else to do, asked the Master to become his lieutenant. The Master merely shook his head and said Bim wasn't good enough. And that made Bim mad, but he wasn't stupid. There had to be a way out of this situation, as clearly the Master could kill them all without breaking a sweat.

It was then that nish the Dwarven Drunk decided it was a good time to stab the Master in the foot with his copper dagger. Bim saw his opportnity, grabbed the rest of his friends, and ran away while the Master expertly butchered the poor dwarf. Bim, in his rage, choked the sleeping goblin bandit to death on the way out of the camp, insuring bad blood beween the parties forevermore.

Now Bim and his pals sits beneath the ruins of an ancient Kobold fort, commiserating over muddy water and horse meat while they heal their injuries and decide what to do next. Being a hero isn't always as glorious as they say...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:31:24 pm by Grimbot »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53860 on: May 28, 2019, 05:11:34 pm »

It was inevitable.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53861 on: May 29, 2019, 02:29:24 am »

Grimbot, is that a mission report? I haven't tried those yet due to the bugs; sounds neat though, almost like adventure mode within fortress mode, the way you've written it. :)

---
On topic: minor progress. More zombies stripped and dropped; alternate stairwell down to the first cavern level constructed; old one walled off to be used exclusively for zombie-dropping from now on.

The semi-useless legendary tanner who nearly got killed by the were-skink was indeed pregnant. I also demobilized the two most skilled axe lords so they could spend more time with their families, if you know what I mean, and I think you do, nudge nudge wink wink say no more. Naturally they took advantage of their free time to do individual combat drills...  ::)

Two of the children keep getting bad thoughts about getting caught in snowstorms. All I can think of to explain that is maybe they took vermin corpses to the refuse stockpile outside, so I have removed that stockpile and learned how to assign children to the civilian alert burrow. Hopefully that will be the end of these mystery snow thoughts.

Grimbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53862 on: May 29, 2019, 01:48:09 pm »

Thanks, Worblehat, but that was just standard Adventure Mode. I haven't done too much with it and this was my most successful run so far. Shortly after the events described above, the party found a book called "About Elves" and decided to bring it back to the fortress. Immediately afterward, a giant dingo grabbed Bim's head and shook him to death.

I guess that's what I get for turning up the savagery.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #53863 on: May 29, 2019, 05:15:13 pm »

You certainly should be; well done! :D :thumbs_up: You have earned the Boatmurdered/Roomcarnage medal of achievement in the field of magma engineering!

What power source did you use?

Thankee sir!

Project FTW has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53864 on: May 30, 2019, 01:22:47 am »

A bit more progress tonight. Zombie-dropping is mostly complete, just a few more left to transport and traps to reset.

One of the legendary miners has been drafted into the militia. I feel like I must be falling into a noob-trap, but the wiki says picks do make effective weapons so maybe not. The "off duty" axe lords continue their combat drills. I guess the champion system from the old days is still here in a slightly less obvious way; oh well.

At the start of the fort's third year, a pack of wild boars decided to wander in. That's why there's a line of traps just inside, so no harm done (not sure boars are all that dangerous in DF anyway). If I'm reading the wiki correctly, they won't starve in cages since they don't have the grazer tag, so I can just put the caged boars aside and forget about them until I have a use for them. Weird development though, it doesn't make a great deal of sense for them to just wander into this tunnel into the ground...
Pages: 1 ... 3589 3590 [3591] 3592 3593 ... 3836