Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3593 3594 [3595] 3596 3597 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858932 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53910 on: June 23, 2019, 09:53:43 am »

Hm. Can you check if building a wall/forbidding a door between your mayor and spinner freezes the game irrevocably and forces you to kill the process? (Thinking of chained creature bugs.)

((Obviously, don't do that if you have anything unsaved in progress you'd care about losing.))

I wonder what causes the population boom in such pits. I suspect scholarly pursuits.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:14:13 am by Fleeting Frames »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53911 on: June 23, 2019, 10:04:28 am »

I just mined my first adamantine deposits and crafted an adamantine war hammer for the Hammerer.  I've avoided reading as much as I can about the HFS, but I suspect I am getting close to some more ˇˇFun!! in addition to the few miners that caught on fire so far.

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53912 on: June 23, 2019, 11:01:20 pm »

@Fleeting Frames - Thanks for your suggestion that it may be a bug. I've had a number of dwarves get chained in this version before, but I've never had this happen.

My favorite thing that happened in my last fort's jail was when one prisoner went berserk and got killed. His wife's thoughts and preferences said she "felt grim satisfaction at the death of somebody." Guess that wasn't a happy marriage.
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53913 on: June 27, 2019, 02:19:39 pm »

Gotta love it.  8)

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53914 on: June 28, 2019, 01:35:47 am »

@vjek - Ha, I now have a fantastic mental picture of a jaguar woman dancer! It makes a kind of sense; they are graceful creatures, after all.

My new fort is mostly natural growth - it's a dying civ (though maybe not as close to death as I thought) and has a population cap of 25 and a strict cap of 50. I've also turned off invaders and genned a pocket world without some of the more Fun things - werebeasts, vampires, and necromancers. I was looking to focus on dorf micromanagement and neat projects I haven't tried yet, like minecart swimming trainers. I'm attempting maximum need fulfillment, and aiming for a population where everyone is ecstatic; it's a Sims-y kind of play style much different from "oh crap I need to prepare for the siege that will be here any second now."

So far, I haven't lost a single dwarf and I'm in year 5. I've lost some animals, most mysteriously. I think some died of old age. I'm dealing with a catsplosion - and a dogsplosion and a, um, llamasplosion - lots of work for my gelder, butcher, tanners, milkers, shearers, spinners, cheesemakers...

Everyone is at least Fine - except for this ONE STUPID DWARF who has been Unhappy for a long time no matter what I do. Her thoughts and preferences screen says "She is in a constant state of internal rage." OK, lady, I feel ya, I've been there since November 2016 myself... but in her case it's because of a freakin' snow storm.

One of her perpetual unhappy thoughts is that she's lonely because she's away from family - so I've been trying to give her one. Unfortunately, there's only one other dwarf who is age, gender, and orientation compatible, and he "never falls in love or develops positive feelings." Not encouraging, but I'm trying the "pre-honeymoon suite" trick with them, several other dwarf couples, and a small group of dwarves who are all compatible with at least one or two of the others in the group. (The group is all bunking in my baroness's swanky place, because she's one of them.)

I got one pair of lovers out of the group room, and I convinced an existing pair of lovers to marry. But Ms. Internal Rage is even worse than before. She never even became a "passing acquaintance" of her one possible partner while they were idling in a room together. I had everyone spar and then socialize in the tavern for a while, and they finally got to "passing acquaintance" somewhere in there - but the angry dwarf is up to 24k stress according to Dwarf Therapist. Gah.

Her other perpetual complaint is a lack of decent meals. Her only food preferences are jumping spider (wtf) and potato wine. I lucked into getting a caged tame jumping spider from the elf caravan, but it just sits in her room. I've heard of dwarves snacking on vermin from cages, but I've never actually seen it happen. I'm not sure they even do that in the current version; I never even saw it when I started playing in around 2009.

You would think getting potatoes would be easy, but noooo. Most of my embark is a cold grassland; it has lots of other plants, including things like carrots, turnips, and radishes, but no Armok-damned potatoes as far as I can tell for some reason. The caravans haven't brought any either.

I don't want to just expel her from the fort or anything either, because she's a highly skilled metalcrafter.

Also, her name is Kadol Ivorytower. The game just randomly generated that.
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53915 on: June 28, 2019, 09:06:21 am »

@SpaceMetal - I wanted a better picture of how the dancer looked, so I took some extra screenshots..
Stonesense
Armok Vision
Armok Vision2
which was pretty neat to see how it interpreted her height, the spotted hands, hair, nose, etc.
She left the fort after the second season of the first year, which was pretty disappointing.  Then, in the second year, she returned, and petitioned for citizenship, which was granted.  Permanent entertainer, along with a second random Human Bard.
There was a bit of a crisis though, as she absolutely refuses to eat fruits or plants of any kind.  I wasn't sure what she needed for food, but it turns out pond turtle is acceptable, so she won't starve to death. (although it was close, the first time!)
She happily drinks the booze.. so that's something.  :P

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53916 on: June 28, 2019, 10:02:17 am »

@vjek
"This visitor has come to relax. She was curious about the Sacrificial Breakfast"
Maybe she was hoping for a live meal (some sort of animal person based on a prey animal?) that would be offered up as a meal...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53917 on: June 28, 2019, 01:54:12 pm »

To the medical dwarves of Rakedtreaty:
You have had Mr Crystalgrowl on the operating table for well over a year. Why in Armok's name have you not patched him up? You have all the materials, RIGHT??
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(i do have another dorf with the surgeon labor enabled but they're not very good at it. only novice tier)
Reposting this from the "Note to Urist" thread, because I'm really at the "wtf" point by now and could use some advice. is it a bug, a feature, am I missing something I should be doing... I even burrowed the medics in the hospital for a while but they still didn't treat him, they just milled around until I let them out to get a drink. The bone doctor does go do set the bone on the guy but just stops when he gets there, and there's no cancellation message. and prior to this i had all the labors enabled on my CMD, i disabled the low level ones so they could hopefully do a better job.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53918 on: June 28, 2019, 04:48:17 pm »

I would try procuring as much thread, cloth, soap and plaster powder as possible; add an extra traction bench, bed, and table; enable all the healthcare labors on a few more dwarves; and maybe even create a new water source.  Essentially double your hospital in every way and see what happens.

In my fort, most are not lucky enough to get to the hospital.  3 were just sealed to their doomed fate in the caverns after attempting to kill some fauna that were stuck in the trees lead to 9 marksdwarves and a macelord getting turned into zombies as a bunch of idlers rushed in to store items, only to aggro more undead crundles and jabberers into the fray.  2 in the trees were killed, but that last jabberer up there is fierce!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53919 on: June 28, 2019, 04:53:14 pm »

Tried deleting the hospital, waiting an unpaused moment, then remaking it?

Also same with all the gear in the hospital coffers?

Skill impacts speed of treatment, but at this point he's, uh, already waited longer than a dabbler would take.

Also note that doctors must not be pondering! in a library. I think willingness to help others is also helpful, but I haven't run proper tests on whether it is necessary.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53920 on: June 28, 2019, 06:27:19 pm »

I did add the second traction bench, and another coffer, and I scored plaster powder when the human caravan came. and i made soap. and we have plenty of splints. the one thing i haven't yet tried is adding a well, but with the way I built it the well would end up going through a couple residential floors >_>
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53921 on: June 29, 2019, 12:50:20 am »

A well isn't essential. But have you tried
deleting the hospital, waiting an unpaused moment, then remaking it?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53922 on: June 29, 2019, 02:52:31 am »

There used to be a bug where a hurt dwarf would not be moved onto the traction bench unless the traction bench was orthogonal to the bed. And your dwarf needs traction...

You might be able to disrupt and restart the medical treatment by...
- deleting the current hospital zone and deconstructing any traction benches currently in that zone
- making a new hospital zone that includes a different bed than he is currently in
- build a traction bench adjacent to that bed

Deleting and re-making the hospital zone might be overkill, but it should get him moved to the new bed and if there is only one traction bench and it is orthogonal, then maybe....
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53923 on: June 29, 2019, 03:39:56 am »

I bought a new PC and now I'm benchmarking it with Dwarf Fortress.
Currently at about 14 FPS.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53924 on: June 29, 2019, 04:48:02 am »

There used to be a bug where a hurt dwarf would not be moved onto the traction bench unless the traction bench was orthogonal to the bed. And your dwarf needs traction...

You might be able to disrupt and restart the medical treatment by...
- deleting the current hospital zone and deconstructing any traction benches currently in that zone
- making a new hospital zone that includes a different bed than he is currently in
- build a traction bench adjacent to that bed

Deleting and re-making the hospital zone might be overkill, but it should get him moved to the new bed and if there is only one traction bench and it is orthogonal, then maybe....
i thought traction benches didn't have to be adjacent to a bed, but would just be used instead of a bed.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3593 3594 [3595] 3596 3597 ... 3836