Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3594 3595 [3596] 3597 3598 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5839055 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53925 on: June 29, 2019, 09:05:34 am »

Ah, no. The wounded dwarf is brought to a bed, a medidwarf comes and decides he needs traction and dumps him in traction.

If there is a traction table right beside the injured dwarf's bed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53926 on: June 29, 2019, 05:01:01 pm »

Ah, no. The wounded dwarf is brought to a bed, a medidwarf comes and decides he needs traction and dumps him in traction.

If there is a traction table right beside the injured dwarf's bed.
he isn't even in a bed he's on the operating table. i will try the "turning it off and on again" when i next get on the machine with that save.

i don't even remember how the bugger got hurt, if it was a forgotten beast or an elven siege
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:02:42 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53927 on: June 29, 2019, 07:02:30 pm »

So in goldchampion, a leather worker who had been imprisoned for beating people up went berserk while chained in his cell. I just locked the door and waited for him to die. Strangely, I actually got the message of his death by dehydration at the instant which it occurred, not the usual "x has been missing for a week."

I took the initiative on another troublemaker, a legendary weaponsmith, and had him sent to our nearby cave, which I conquered from our enemies, the vutchnell. Amusingly that cave has been the cause of years-long consternation, because while I had conquered it, it had already been economically linked to us. Somehow, I am now at war with the mountain home.

I have no idea what to do about that. I can't attack/raid them, I dread the thought of them attacking us (because fighting the invaders, even a dwarf seeing one and entering "combat" with them, would result in a loyalty cascade scenario.) They have sent no caravans since that time, and on the civ list screen are listed as at war with us with the red and yellow W.

I have squads of mercenaries, and scholars and poets who were granted residency, training in preparation to conquer the surrounding lands. Maybe if I can forcibly end the war with the vutchnell, the king will negotiate with us again?

Oh, I also dug out and processed a little bit of adamantine. I should have my best armorsmiths work it into an impenetrable mail and helm.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:19:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53928 on: June 29, 2019, 10:13:18 pm »

Loyalty cascade. *shudder*

Update on Kadol Ivorytower, the only unhappy dwarf in Pagedchucked: she got even unhappier, started throwing epic tantrums, killed a cat, and broke Endok Confuseearthen the sheriff's upper thigh so hard the bone also shattered her hip and put her in traction.

Shortly after the sheriff got out of traction and mobile with a crutch, she beat the everloving crap out of Kadol and severed the nervous tissue in her middle spine. Kadol then suffocated in the middle of the hallway between the bedrooms and the central stairwell.

Oddly, though Kadol had a fair number of friends - including the sheriff! - no one seemed much bothered except for the one dwarf who actually witnessed the fatal beating from the fist o' justice.

Now Kadol has a tomb with a statue of her raising a masterful platinum chain she created. Despite all her faults, she was a damn good metalcrafter. My only other metalcrafter is a novice.
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53929 on: July 01, 2019, 04:43:58 pm »

update on Urist McFixMyArmAlready: turned off hospital and turned it back on. now he is in bed, instead of on the operating table. do the medidwarves need item hauling enabled to fix him? because if I enable that then they get distracted and wander off to stash stuff in stockpiles.

I bought a new PC and now I'm benchmarking it with Dwarf Fortress.
Currently at about 14 FPS.

holy shit 500 dwarves???
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53930 on: July 01, 2019, 04:54:36 pm »

What if you disable hauling then enable medical labors?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53931 on: July 01, 2019, 07:37:09 pm »

that's what i've done. they have medical labors enabled and hauling turned off.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53932 on: July 01, 2019, 07:50:51 pm »

that's what i've done. they have medical labors enabled and hauling turned off.
Then they shouldn’t haul thing, then

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53933 on: July 02, 2019, 04:48:35 am »

I don't think they need item hauling to bandage or suture a patient.  The medical skills cover that when the hospital is stocked, so you should be good.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53934 on: July 02, 2019, 01:21:32 pm »

so they're just being morons. Alright.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53935 on: July 02, 2019, 01:27:36 pm »

I had some undead from the nearby necromancer's tower pester my fort in its first years. Now things have been calm for several years and finally I got my military properly equipped and trained. I sent them to raid the tower to get some books for my new library, and the mission was succesful. Now my library is stacked with necromancer literature, and it took but a couple of days that one of my dwarves turned into a necromancer.

I've been trying to do this before in a similar fashion, but this is the first time I succeeded. What to do next, hmmm?

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53936 on: July 02, 2019, 02:31:46 pm »

I tried an embark (my post in the 44.02+ worldgen thread), and failed miserably, regening the world to try again, until I succeeded. I finally made it, by utilizing a few behavior exploits (with a big everything stockpile, items brought in are randomly (evenly) distributed, so I embarked with similar total numbers of everything - drinks, seeds, meat, logs, etc., so that I could have them haul some for a bit, then close off the entrance, leaving a lot outside, but knowing I had enough). I brought extra livestock, to leave some outside to die and zombify. I dumped my horses, which decided they liked being near my carpenter (why did I have horses, when I had no wagon?) into magma. All was well. Only lost one dwarf to the elements (no matter what I do, some always want to go wander outside between jobs).

But, I had forgotten that I had messed with the worldgen params, and added poles. Then, I accidentally dug out a room against ice, and didn't even think twice about it. Then, in mid summer, a dwarf over 30Z down from the ground level (which is something like 70+Z down from the embark hilltop) of the map canceled a task due to water. The whole top of my fortress, which I had left to its own devices while working on building out useful industry, was flooded, and filling with zombie animals. My cowardly settlers refused to complete tasks like building, much less operating, screw pumps top-side, to hopefully get a wall built somewhere in there, and then the same again for a collapsible wall to cave in. So, now we're rebuilding in the first cavern, with no directly accessible items or food to speak of (except what can be foraged, and a few picks), and more blood and vomit everywhere than I think I can make soap for. Three humans petitioned to join my fort as monster hunters, including two macemen (take that, reanimated bits!). I was sure I was going to lose everyone, at first, but things are looking up, now.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53937 on: July 02, 2019, 03:29:53 pm »

Congratulations on surviving

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #53938 on: July 02, 2019, 04:25:46 pm »

update on Urist McFixMyArmAlready: turned off hospital and turned it back on. now he is in bed, instead of on the operating table. do the medidwarves need item hauling enabled to fix him? because if I enable that then they get distracted and wander off to stash stuff in stockpiles.

I bought a new PC and now I'm benchmarking it with Dwarf Fortress.
Currently at about 14 FPS.

holy shit 500 dwarves???

"6 miners"

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53939 on: July 02, 2019, 05:08:04 pm »

Yeah, that's too much.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 3594 3595 [3596] 3597 3598 ... 3836