Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3595 3596 [3597] 3598 3599 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5832091 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53940 on: July 02, 2019, 07:41:02 pm »

Migrants that show up with high Miner skill will be listed as Miners...  It is the 339 kids that caught my attention.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MoonstoneFace

• Bay Watcher
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #53941 on: July 03, 2019, 01:37:53 pm »

I embarked next to a sinister woodland that reanimates corpses, and about two seconds after I unpaused three ravens appeared. It is good fortune that they did not appear as corpses, or I would have just abandoned the fortress straight away. I feel a Silentthunders sort of mood approaching. The ravens will be weaponized.
Quote from: Michael Caine
I am Michael Caine

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53942 on: July 03, 2019, 02:29:03 pm »

How will you weaponize them, can they be trained?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53943 on: July 03, 2019, 03:12:10 pm »

And thus the group known as The Nasty Death met it's doom at the jaws of a wererat, a swarm of capybara corpses and about a handfull of what were once it's own valiant soldiers now risen to exact their unholy wrath upon the cursed lands of Urakon or as it came to be known, Deathline.

Trained? After he is done with them those ravens won't be needing any training

edit: Didn't want to double post so here it is.

New world, new embark and the problems keep multiplying.

First I forgot to get a pick at embark, then the "thick" vegetations I was going to rely on for food* turned out to be dead and unuseable and it's constantly raining. The constant rain is as much a problem as it is a blessing, it's the only source of water in this godforsaken place. I have a good amount of food for now but I doubt it's going to  last for long as new migrants arrive. I'll need to get a couple of animals to breed...in a reanimating embark. May their gods have mercy upon these poor chaps.

*modded game. my civ doesn't have access to farming
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:56:38 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53944 on: July 04, 2019, 01:51:34 pm »

I just started a new game, and upon checking out the legends I discovered that there weren't any elves. Ever. As far as I can tell the Elven species was never generated in this world. Anyone know what's up with this???

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53945 on: July 04, 2019, 02:22:38 pm »

Elves need a pretty specific condition to generate, at least compared to the other races, so on smaller worlds it's possible to not have any.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #53946 on: July 04, 2019, 03:06:25 pm »

What conditions? I thought there any hadn’t to be some forests?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53947 on: July 04, 2019, 04:03:39 pm »

My fort flooded, killing a lot of dwarves, some survived, and I somehow got migrants. I didn't dig the channel deep enough to hold the water.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53948 on: July 04, 2019, 07:33:43 pm »

currently stuffing my dwarves into my temple/tavern to get some socialization done.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #53949 on: July 04, 2019, 10:07:52 pm »

Migrants that show up with high Miner skill will be listed as Miners...  It is the 339 kids that caught my attention.

Oh, I just thought it unusual that a fort with such a high population would only have 6 miners.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53950 on: July 05, 2019, 04:07:56 am »

6 seems about right.  Mining can be a dangerous job: cave-ins, magma breaches, drowning, cavern wildlife, etc.  They're the first ones to breach dangerous areas before bridges and doors can be built.  I just had a miner fall 8-Z onto his head and die.  Some channeling was going on - I wasn't really paying attention until I saw the "Urist Minerpants was found dead" announcement.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53951 on: July 05, 2019, 05:41:32 am »

I tend to have two.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53952 on: July 05, 2019, 11:48:37 am »

Just finished a bridge above a inlet leading to the ocean. The bridge also has a tavern on it.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53953 on: July 05, 2019, 02:28:44 pm »

i am pondering installing a magma pump stack in my fortress. i got a lot of goblinite to melt. and apparently i'd already been considering that from the number of green glass corkscrews and tubes i ordered.... which i don't remember doing?

also it's funny that you should mention the undead ravens cuz i just found that thread the other day by following someone's sigtext
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:47:32 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53954 on: July 05, 2019, 02:47:47 pm »

Oh, I just thought it unusual that a fort with such a high population would only have 6 miners.
If you have that population your fort is probably pretty old, and you probably dug out everything that needs digging out. Six miners will be plenty when you decide that the third level needs to be completely reworked so everyone's bedroom can be 3X2 instead of 2X1, or you decide to sink a X1 shaft straight into the heart of the circus.

That said, given that it was a precisely 500 dwarf fort, 339 were kids, and the OP said he was "benchmarking" his system not playing; I strongly suspect there's some major shenanigans going on.
Pages: 1 ... 3595 3596 [3597] 3598 3599 ... 3836