Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3599 3600 [3601] 3602 3603 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788519 times)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54000 on: July 25, 2019, 01:47:39 pm »

All you do is construct a cage like your typical chair in the build menu somewhere where you want it. Then once its built you can assign animals to it in its own menu and they'll be dragged over there.
Building a lever you can then link the lever to said cage to open it and spill its 'content' whenever you desire.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54001 on: July 25, 2019, 02:25:33 pm »

Ok, cool, didn't know that. It's "q - assign". Thx  :)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54002 on: July 27, 2019, 01:35:04 pm »

Well, Craft Riddle is having issues.  We are waiting for the Dwarf traders to show up with another shipment of stone for our Island Fort Town.  I want to finish working on the water system for the well and the rooms for the hospital before I retire and let the Fortress become free of my influence.   :)

We have worked years and waited patiently for the stone needed to build our first working draw bridge that closes our tunnel and protects us from the outside.  And the periodic werebeast attack.   :D

Then in early winter, while playing the game in-between recordings, somebody went on a tantrum and broke it.  So, it and the lever, had to be rebuilt.  And the female Dwarf, SF-103, was punished with a beating and then sent to the hospital to be treated.   :-\

So Episode 33 will be me explaining, again, about Dwarf Frontier Justice.   ::)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Firebird766

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54003 on: July 27, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »

I finally captured a male cave crocodile to breed with the female that my dumbass ranger lured into the hall o’ cage traps! Operation Kickass Crocodile Breeding Program is a go!

I also captured two draltha, a giant cave toad, and a giant olm. I’ve already sicced my militia on the pair of draltha, but no-one’s taking the bodies away yet. Hurry it up! There’s a lot of meat that will go to waste otherwise!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #54004 on: July 27, 2019, 09:23:52 pm »

Doesn't it have to be a certain distance from the butcher shop? Maybe ya need to set up a refuse pile.

In other news, Craftdagger needs an entire new expeditionary regiment. Talking about the artifact retrieval is now forbidden by law.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54005 on: July 28, 2019, 05:31:51 am »

This fort has had the weird blend of Fun and weird. One year in, I got a "goblin" siege which was dwarves, and the dwarves promptly left (or are they still somewhere in ambush) and I've had my first dwarven babysnatcher. I got an undead siege 3 seasons in, which made me panic wall in, but the undead just milled around. The necromancer went in, only to be chased off by a wardog and he fled the map. The undead milled around for months, and then as I was trapping a corridor to bait them in, my dwarves decided to sally forth and killed them all. Those were three armored, armed human zombies, mind you. (And an animal woman recruit who fled.) Only a few war dog wounds, and some minor dwarven wounds. I think miners are pretty great offensively.

Also I didn't even start with an anvil which is... problematic. And didn't get a dwarven caravan last fall, due to sieges.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54006 on: July 28, 2019, 06:14:54 am »

Digging a deep dry moat. Dorfs keep dropping stones on themselves. Nothing seems to stop it.
And, once again, the caravan comes and spends their whole time setting up.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54007 on: July 28, 2019, 09:35:34 am »

Digging a deep dry moat. Dorfs keep dropping stones on themselves. Nothing seems to stop it.
And, once again, the caravan comes and spends their whole time setting up.
I rarely see this problem since I started designating ramps instead of channels, and designating each lower z at a higher priority than the layer above, even with dwarfs hauling away the rock at the same time. But, are any of the rocks forbidden?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54008 on: July 28, 2019, 10:24:39 am »

Fucking giant keas. The last ten pages of announcements are dwarves getting interrupted by giant keas except the occasional masterwork - or the occasional giant kea stealing something.

Thankfully I have no kea related fatalities so far, and they didn't steal anything critical.

I will have to train a marksdwarf squad. Relevant quote

They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54009 on: July 28, 2019, 12:35:20 pm »

Apparently I settled right on top of a kobold fort or lair. Despite killing 2 of their kind they are still friendly. Discovered them while digging pipes for my well. Walled them off and apparently their loot stockpile of crappy crafts are on my side.

Contemplating most prudent course of action.

1. Dig a tunnel to the volcano <10 tiles and flood their entire base with magma.
2. Let them be. For now
This leaves the possiblity for dwarf training, capture and other fun things.
3. Flood them with water.

Never been in this situation before. But my queen is demanding a lot of traction benches and I'm getting tired of her and feeling the urge to magma some stuff.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54010 on: July 28, 2019, 02:16:37 pm »

But my queen is demanding a lot of traction benches...
She is obviously worrried about the health of her subjects

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54011 on: July 29, 2019, 03:15:41 pm »

Well, this was an awesome moment. Corrupted rogues attacked my forsaken fortress soon after I drove off an infected horde.

Markswoman fired at the lone axewoman holding off the rogues, but her pet dog leapt in front of her and tanked the bolt.

She turned to face the markswoman but was interrupted by a slinger with throwing daggers - didn't let that stop her.

She then charged directly towards the offending markswoman who was busy engaging the swordsmaster that had just arrived. Seemingly the swordmaster backed off and let her have the final hit in retribution for her pet.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54012 on: July 29, 2019, 05:14:47 pm »

I just discovered that dwarves under extreme long-term duress will sometimes yell at whoever is in charge, which I find inexplicably hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:17:09 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54013 on: July 29, 2019, 05:27:21 pm »

I just discovered that dwarves under extreme long-term duress will sometimes yell at whoever is in charge, which I find inexplicably hilarious.
And it appears to do fuck all to counter multiple other stressors that will almost certainly trigger soon after ("Nurr I couldn't get sperm whale eyes or some other equally ridiculous thing and thus I haven't had a good meal in so long!" "I refuse to aquire things not made specifically out of nickel even though there's multiple finely made goods available for citizens to take for free!")

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54014 on: July 29, 2019, 05:37:18 pm »

Starting a new embark for the first time in about two and a half years. Let's see if I remember how to do this.
Pages: 1 ... 3599 3600 [3601] 3602 3603 ... 3835