Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3604 3605 [3606] 3607 3608 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789549 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54075 on: August 17, 2019, 06:16:33 pm »

I settled in a heavily-forested area, so I chopped down as many as I could be bothered to designate. This left my stockpiles overflowing with logs, so I've been producing beds, doors, cabinets, chairs, etc. on repeat for as long as I've had the workshops.

Then a wereantelope attacked and killed an unfortunate dyer who couldn't get inside quick enough. Due to my overproduction of wooden furniture, I have such a backlog of stuff waiting to be hauled that I can't construct a coffin. Everybody's too busy moving beds around.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54076 on: August 17, 2019, 07:03:40 pm »

Started up for the first time in a long while. Several attempts at getting the site I needed - a tall waterfall in a non-freezing biome to build a dam - took some time to generate. Even messing with world parameters couldn't do it, but I eventually got lucky with a normal worldgen. By the end of the first autumn, I've gotten the first phase of construction complete: a line of pumps over the river at the top of the waterfall to divert the flow from where the floodgates to actually stop the river were to be installed, followed by installing the floodgates. Next phase is to dig out the reservoir lake.

I have also built beds for a few dozen dwarves, plus a small eating hall and temple. Everything else is barebones.

Also saw combat reports of a giant flying squirrel crashing into another giant flying squirrel and suffering fatal injuries.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54077 on: August 17, 2019, 10:50:20 pm »

I settled in a heavily-forested area, so I chopped down as many as I could be bothered to designate. This left my stockpiles overflowing with logs, so I've been producing beds, doors, cabinets, chairs, etc. on repeat for as long as I've had the workshops.

Then a wereantelope attacked and killed an unfortunate dyer who couldn't get inside quick enough. Due to my overproduction of wooden furniture, I have such a backlog of stuff waiting to be hauled that I can't construct a coffin. Everybody's too busy moving beds around.

Turn off all hauling labors on a few dwarves.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54078 on: August 17, 2019, 11:37:43 pm »

Turn off all hauling labors on a few dwarves.

It got done; for some reason I thought that placing the coffin would need the furniture hauling labor.

In other news, I stopped and killed a goblin thief! I'm so happy. I caught him before he got inside the fort, due to the dozens and dozens of puppies and war dogs pastured right next to the front door.

Unfortunately, this means my weapon traps remain unused. I want to see a creature wander into a pile of spring-loaded iron swords and explode, dammit!
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54079 on: August 18, 2019, 11:41:11 am »

Turns out that waterfall does freeze after all. I could have sworn the biome climate said "warm" not "temperate".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54080 on: August 18, 2019, 05:03:10 pm »

Another werecreature attack. It mauls some fisherdwarves before the military arrives, but they make it to the hospital. In the center of my fort, right next to the bedrooms and workshops, with no traps or military around to keep an eye on them.

Oops.

Now I have a pile of dead dwarves, a whole lot more that are probably contaminated, and no way to do a whole lot about either.

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54081 on: August 18, 2019, 05:05:32 pm »

A few years in to my fortress Shieldwalls, the turkeys I brought on embark are still incubating their first clutch of eggs. A herbalist went mental because I didn’t have cave spider silk, my armourer is going mental because he saw the herbalist die, oh and that tick-man corpse I’ve left ... somewhere.
Trying to get a cloth industry going but there aren’t enough bags to mill dye, yet bag production is on full-auto! I swear they’re wearing pig-tail bags over their heads blundering around through piles of pig-tail bags looking for a pig-tail bag that isn’t full of pig-tail bags!!

I’ve dug up enough tetrahedrite to suit out an army in copper, but not one jot of tin to make bronze. Still it might explain why my armourer is so stressed; “If I have to hammer out one more copper codpiece I’m going to scream!”
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54082 on: August 18, 2019, 06:09:17 pm »

My fort is waiting patiently to see if pregnancies will come to fruition for those transformed into beasts for months. Very important science, you see.

Only the fifth world now before I finally figured out what I did wrong and got that interaction for the transformations to go through.

The fort itself is healthy enough, food and drink are plentiful, there's work to be done, the walls are keeping critters out etc. Trying to trap a cavern beast in a tunnel so we can roam the caverns semi safely. Gotta worry about forgotten beasts, but without cave crocs showing up on a regular basis trying to eat people it should be worth trying to get work done and allow me to build the magma forges over the pipe.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54083 on: August 20, 2019, 07:42:14 pm »

Started a new fort. This time I'm going to design everything from the beginning before I start striking too much earth.

When building a drawbridge with a drop, is it worth it to go for a guaranteed lethal drop (20 z-levels or more) or will spikes at the bottom be good enough?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54084 on: August 20, 2019, 08:23:23 pm »

Started a new fort. This time I'm going to design everything from the beginning before I start striking too much earth.

When building a drawbridge with a drop, is it worth it to go for a guaranteed lethal drop (20 z-levels or more) or will spikes at the bottom be good enough?
I always just make it 3-4 z-levels deep, wall the sides so they can't be climbed, and funnel it into a trap corridor.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54085 on: August 21, 2019, 03:35:15 am »

I always make it one z level, so when the drunken idiots we call citizens inevitably fall in, they can be rescued. I also used to fill it with water, but as your let's-say legendary axedwarf can't swim, I don't recommend it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54086 on: August 21, 2019, 10:59:12 am »

I don't bother with moats and ditches and whatnot anymore. As DwArfY says, they tend to catch a lot more dwarves than they do goblins...

Military and magma-flooders. That's all the defenses any fort needs.  :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54087 on: August 21, 2019, 08:30:43 pm »

Well, darn. I dug so deep (accidentally breaching the caverns in the process) and it appears to be for naught at the moment. Some of the space that I had reserved for a huge chasm could be used for a drowning trap though; I need a cistern anyways since this biome freezes in the winter.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54088 on: August 21, 2019, 10:26:34 pm »

You could fill some of the extra space with a couple of those aforementioned magma-flooders?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54089 on: August 22, 2019, 12:27:53 am »

You could fill some of the extra space with a couple of those aforementioned magma-flooders?

Yeah, but I have yet to even reach magma in any fort ever. This is my first for that even reached the caverns and it was mostly an accident.
Pages: 1 ... 3604 3605 [3606] 3607 3608 ... 3835