Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3615 3616 [3617] 3618 3619 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787721 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54240 on: October 10, 2019, 03:34:50 pm »

It just feels like one of the most unexiting results to come out of a weaponsmith's strange mood. Particularly as the first artifact of a fort.
If it makes you feel any better, most artifacts produced by dwarves in my forts are rings

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54241 on: October 10, 2019, 05:14:39 pm »

Had a fairly productive session in my most recent light worshipper (Darkest Dungeon Church faction, alongside the various classes from that game) fort. A three-way siege/ambush combination happened - demon-possessed female rogues, centaurs (skilled enough to where one of them became a mace lord during the fight) and snake-like water demons. Neither side had much love for the others, so they started fighting to the death. Was useful for my military - since their numbers weren't too large, the losses and injuries from the in-fighting allowed my military to easily take them out.
Even some newly-acquired war pets got in on the action. Most memorable part though was at the end - the few remaining, severely injured centaurs were close to the map edge and tried to crawl away - then my military caught up to them. Some amount of brutality later, things were over.

Short time after that, I got a pretty lucky streak of mercs petitioning to join - after only getting bard and monster slayers, it was a refreshing change - got a creven bruiser (recruit), a fifteen-year old tol'vir maceman who already has three kids, a cortinari spearman, and an infinite dragonspawn pikeman.

Last thing that happened before I saved was of the "boring artifact" variety. Jeweler had a mood and produced a gem cage - worth a lot, but kinda boring (its encrusted with spikes of tanzanite, but there's no other decoration or image on it) - put it on a pedestal in my library.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #54242 on: October 10, 2019, 05:20:51 pm »

What? He made a cage and you didn't make a zoo with it?
Come on. Put some fancy creature there. Not some war prisoner, get yourself a dragon!
In a time before time, I had a name.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54243 on: October 10, 2019, 06:37:33 pm »

I once had a dwarf named Kogan Shorastkogan as broker of a mostly-forgotten fort, by the way. Kogan Shorastkogan = Kogan Wireboat = Boat Wireboat. What a strange name for a dwarf!

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54244 on: October 10, 2019, 10:16:18 pm »

There is an elephant at my fort that is stuck in a tree.

That is all.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54245 on: October 11, 2019, 03:38:28 am »

What? He made a cage and you didn't make a zoo with it?
Come on. Put some fancy creature there. Not some war prisoner, get yourself a dragon!
Meh, I still haven't had megabeast attacks, and I already have enough cage traps outside for capturing animals - don't like to spam them too much.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54246 on: October 12, 2019, 06:20:33 am »

(New fort..again)

First werepanda came at the same time as the migrant wave that pushed my pop beyond the 20 limit, thankfully it got too busy kicking one of my sentries to death (it was just a small puppy you bastard!) so everyone managed to get inside.

The second werepanda came when I was hunting camels with my militia and spawned on the same area that my militia was. How lucky! Nope..all of them died there, eight while the fight was going and the last two, that survived long enough for the beast to turn back on its dwarven form, bled out before my civilians could even reach them. Surprisingly this werebeast was mostly focused on kicking and striking instead of biting its victims. Also maces make lousy weapons at low skill levels :/

The third werepanda, came as we were expanding our fortifications. Thankfully the sentries did their job well and spotted it early enough that most of my civilians got to safety. Of those that remained outside one, a miner, chose to stand his ground buying his fellows enough time to reach the gates. The miner is currently walled inside his hospital room.

We have no military, hardly any proper arms and armor, no traps and a half dug moat in front of my entrance. If the local necros decide to visit we're screwed. Somehow we don't have any stress issues.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54247 on: October 12, 2019, 01:46:34 pm »

Something really, really odd is going on in my fort. Two civs are suddenly at war with me; one, a modded-race civ, had peaceful contact with my dwarven civ before they declared war on me. The other civ, a human one, may or may not have had contact with my civ before declaring war on me, but they definitely weren't at war until recently. Some context: My fort was founded in early spring of Y30 by The Merchants of Gilding. That spring, the aforementioned wars had certainly not started.  In summer, they could have, but I doubt it. In autumn and winter, I never really paid any attention to the civ/world info screen, so I'm not sure then. This spring, Y31, they've (both civs) declared war on me. Using DFHack, I opened legends mode while still playing my fort (open-legends script included in the LNP for Windows I'm using), and checked the causes of those wars. Both listed "The causes of the conflict are debated by scholars and very little is truly known.", perhaps meaning that there isn't a cause somehow. All historical events, figures, you name it are revealed because of worldgen settings. The hostile civs are The Roars of Lauding (modded) and The Rosy Confederations (human). Oddly enough, I'm also somehow at peace with a modded civ that, like goblins, is evil-aligned, not benign, and builds dark forts. Due to being both item thieves and snatchers, and not being skulking, they are auto-hostile or ought to be (that is, in a state of conflict type hostility, not automatic war). I'm completely stumped... you have any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 01:48:16 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54248 on: October 12, 2019, 01:53:00 pm »

Actually they are not auto-hostile anymore.

It's extremely likely that you'll find your civ at war with them, but it is not auto. I routinely find that if I have multiple goblins civs near me, we will not be at war with ALL of them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54249 on: October 12, 2019, 03:17:39 pm »

Got my first large siege - took a while to drive off, but damn it was fun. Lots of ranged fighters amongst the enemy though. Entire fight was full of really brutal moments - macewoman doing a tongue rip-into-pick swing combo, abyssal swordsman getting launched from a projectile and being carved up as he's flying, a cauldron knight I bought proving its worth, my favourite death message popping up, and one of the axe lords reminding everyone in sight that the axe is just for show.

After the fight, as some of the soldiers were recovering, I commisioned a gold statue with a specific image - put it in the library.
I'm currently trading with merchants that came directly after the fight.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:21:52 pm by ZM5 »

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54250 on: October 12, 2019, 04:37:11 pm »

I just killed a weredeer.  What's interesting is that the human engineer that was outside loading traps was horrified by seeing a goblin die (hooray for marksdwarves stationed in shifts).  The names match up, but he saw no goblin.  The corpse is a weredeer corpse with the night creature symbol.  The weredeer was under the full moon's influence from when he was first spotted until he died. 

Why isn't someone that died a werebeast and left a werebeast corpse identified as a werebeast in thoughts about events that took place while he was a werebeast and in the mind of someone who saw him only in werebeast form?  And how many times can I use werebeast in one sentence?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54251 on: October 12, 2019, 08:36:17 pm »

NPCs don't seem to be able to track circumstances like that. A transformed creature is still it's base creature from their point of view. Inconsistencies like that should get fixes in the future, as long as toady knows about them. Eventually.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #54252 on: October 13, 2019, 05:42:55 am »

Besides, at least in my region, we usually refer to werewolves by the name of the person if we know them. So one would say "Adão broke down the door" instead of "The werewolf broke down the door".

Same for mula sem cabeça and other folklore creatures that work by transforming humans.
In a time before time, I had a name.
« Reply #54253 on: October 13, 2019, 12:17:07 pm »

I am setting up a massive power-generation contraption that may or may not work solely to power a pair of mine-cart rollers that will allow a mine-cart to bounce back and forth rapidly. This is so I can repeatedly trigger a pressure plate with the mine-cart, in order to trigger the repeating spikes at the bottom of a pit that invaders will dodge into in order to avoid weapon traps.

I also have yet to finish digging the pit that the repeating spikes will be placed in.

PRIORITIES!

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54254 on: October 13, 2019, 01:26:43 pm »

Just use a water based repeater? Make a 2x1x1 pit (1x2 with 1 depth) and stick a pressure plate on the bottom of it. Fill it with water and take a bucket out. Make the plate trigger on 7/7 water, and it'll trigger over and over. You'll have to drain/refill every time you want to hook something new up, but it'll not be a PITA like the power gen.
Pages: 1 ... 3615 3616 [3617] 3618 3619 ... 3835