Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3619 3620 [3621] 3622 3623 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773995 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54300 on: October 31, 2019, 01:03:00 pm »

Someone get this dorf a medal. o7

EDIT: Our Queen has gone catatonic. It was inevitable once she had a tantrum and ended up imprisoned. At least we won't be making anymore catapult parts.

Our new king is a dwarf crawling on the ground with two paralyzed arms and a missing right foot. We've nicknamed him Creeping Barrage, for he is inflamed by hatred, among other things.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:09:28 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54301 on: November 02, 2019, 02:07:32 am »

An unfortunate recruit was the first to meet the werepanther, who pulled off the recruit's copper boot and broke several bones with it, then poked him in the eye with his pointy claw. Yet another unfortunate is now walled up in the medical asylum.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54302 on: November 02, 2019, 08:01:08 am »

I don't have a problem, I can stop whenever I want!

Dear Armok the animal trainers are going to go berserk when I start butchering the 50+ giant olms and 50+ giant cave toads.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54303 on: November 02, 2019, 08:21:08 am »

Dear Armok the animal trainers are going to go berserk when I start butchering the 50+ giant olms and 50+ giant cave toads.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54304 on: November 02, 2019, 10:29:42 am »

Axedwarf: NO TIME FOR HUGS THERE'S A GIANT FROG BEHIND YOUUUUUUUUU

Hugdwarf: ....Rude
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54305 on: November 03, 2019, 01:28:08 pm »

I lost 3 dwarves to the ice block because the 2-depth washing "pit" at the entrance of my fort froze and encapsulated them inside. Then, next spring, the ice melted and now my washing "pit" is 7-depth water. Looks like it'll need to be floored over.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54306 on: November 03, 2019, 01:37:36 pm »

I lost 3 dwarves to the ice block because the 2-depth washing "pit" at the entrance of my fort froze and encapsulated them inside. Then, next spring, the ice melted and now my washing "pit" is 7-depth water. Looks like it'll need to be floored over.

IIRC, that won't help. Any tile that has been exposed to the outside will always freeze if there's water there.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54307 on: November 03, 2019, 07:49:04 pm »

That is all.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54308 on: November 04, 2019, 05:25:16 am »

Attack of Dark Elves (kind of like elves, but more evil) on the fortress, all riding various kinds of giant beasts. There's a sea of cages in between the fortress and the militia, so should have been nice and easy.
But of course, the militia commander decided hanging around was boring. She could have done with something better than a copper battleaxe, but you couldn't fault her enthusiasm.

So first she jumps enthusiastically into a hail of crossbow bolts. "Ha! (evil, corrupt) wooden bolts can't hurt me!"

Tales of her fight are engraved all over the dwarven world. Especially this bit:

Then she does something silly, and perhaps starts to realize the situation she's in.

The music pauses for that dramatic slow motion bolt to the leg moment...

With a giant snake clamped on to her arm, things go downhill fast and the other giant beasts close in...

Well I thought it was a pretty good fight. We'll build statues and sing songs and stuff to remember our first militia commander.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:30:26 am by Shonai_Dweller »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54309 on: November 04, 2019, 11:53:36 am »

Had a medium-sized goblin siege, ~50ish gobbos vs 30 trained dwarves and 15 untrained dwarves. We won with six dead and several wounded.

Naturally, half the fort is now stressed post-cleanup.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54310 on: November 04, 2019, 05:52:06 pm »

Found these (and many similar) embarks recently, while looking for something completely unrelated.

There's... some potential here, I can feel it.  I mean.. it's a gravity fed refilling magma chamber..  It's the opposite problem that you typically have, where you have to pump it up, normally.
I'm stuck trying to decide what project or megaproject to attempt.
Just to have the option of building a magma aqueduct, in open air, or to use it to melt and heat entire arbitrary underground spaces, all without a single pump..   8)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54311 on: November 04, 2019, 10:39:27 pm »

Current fortress is receiving messages almost every season about nearby hamlets being conquered and now looking hungrily at our thriving economy. All enemy civs, we're slowly being surrounded. And of course I managed to piss off the remaining friendly humans by somehow scuttling one of their merchant wagons. Oh well.

And on another note, experiencing massive fps drops every time a new site links itself to us. It recovers soon afterwards but is worrying, anyone else getting this?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54312 on: November 08, 2019, 11:30:09 pm »

Current fortress is receiving messages almost every season about nearby hamlets being conquered and now looking hungrily at our thriving economy. All enemy civs, we're slowly being surrounded. And of course I managed to piss off the remaining friendly humans by somehow scuttling one of their merchant wagons. Oh well.

And on another note, experiencing massive fps drops every time a new site links itself to us. It recovers soon afterwards but is worrying, anyone else getting this?
The site-linking could trigger a part of the world-update process, and if you disable the game-pause in announcements for the site-linking, you might be noticing FPS lag from that part of the world-update process.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54313 on: November 09, 2019, 10:51:44 pm »

Small (~7) human siege I am massively unprepared for. Turtled up and built cage traps just inside, but the invaders didn't path to the inside after I opened the doors. Sent a random militiaman (actually a suddenly-conscripted mason) out to lure the enemy in, he refuses to run back inside and is slaughtered. Send another, same thing happens. Decide it's because they're militia and thus attack on sight, so temporarily position the civ alert burrow just outside the doors. Three invaders run up, I put the burrow back inside, everyone files back inside ... except the invaders (and a kitten killed by crossbow fire.) Gave up on the cage trap strategy and began to turtle again. Down 2 dwarves, now have 12 citizens, probably 4 of whom are children/babies or new non-dwarf residents. No trained militia. Can't start one since the game won't let me appoint a commander or captain - no option for either in nobles screen. I can turtle indefinitely, but this doesn't look good.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54314 on: November 10, 2019, 06:20:45 am »

Had several sieges and a megabeast attack in my crusader fort. Some of the most comically over-the-top violent stuff I've seen yet. Multiple attacks happened in a single season too which was great.

The first were the xenomorphs - mid-size strike force, though they had a queen which made it seem like the attack would probably end with some people dead...until a bounty hunter militia captain uppercutted a xenomorph in the head, causing enough damage to completely destroy its upper spine. Another captain punched one so hard its torso collapsed. The queen herself proved to be a tougher opponent, but even she could only do so much when surrounded with several angry crusaders and their merc buddies - after being repeatedly beaten and having several limbs severed, she was unceremoniously decapitated by a hellion.

Theeen shortly thereafter blood trolls showed up.  First attack of theirs, so it was a small group. They were wrecked, and pretty damn hard at that.

Theeen once again, troggs showed up. Far larger group as this was their second siege I believe. Nonetheless, the only real notable moment was when a treant pet threw one of the troggs and a hellion captain decapped it in mid-air. There was an attack by kobolds (Warcraft version so they were more threatening than the DF ones) and Scarlet Crusaders, but neither were particularly notable. After they were done, there was peace, for a time, and I got more migrants.

Until a monstrosity of lust showed up. First megabeast attack in this fort - handled it a tad sloppily. I positioned my militia in the wrong spot and it took a faster route - some war animals slowed it down. My legendary crusader swordsman commander, first name of Brad, caught up to it and started fighting it - the thing made a mistake, overreaching and was swarmed by the guards from the couple of caravans that were still guarding the depot. Ultimately what got the kill was the child of a demon beast I was keeping around - somehow it was holding a metal cap. Got pretty damn lucky, can't rely on the guards now as the merchants are gone now. I did notice that my vestal mayor kept the things severed hand-tipped tentacle in her chest.

A month later a force of chaos orcs and presumably blemmyae slaves or mercs showed up. Probably the most difficult foe so far - many of the orcs were going into martial trances. Nonetheless they were not as well trained as my military and still were going down fast. One of their bowmen actually managed to inflict a scratch upon one of my best swordsmen - it obviously didn't go well for him.
Tragedy struck when one of my mercs was sniped in the head - only loss this entire battle. The marksman responsible for it proceeded to die horribly, getting bitten by the flagellant captain and having his neck deleted. Another swordmaster got some poetic revenge for the merc's death as well.

As if that wasn't enough, a small infected horde showed up. They were absolutely no match - the hellion captain was the first to engage and seemingly forgot she had a glaive to use. Hell, she spilled the guts of one screamer with her bare fucking hands then exploded its head with a kick! The tank also was no match. I quit after this, but I'm eagerly anticipating another attack.
Pages: 1 ... 3619 3620 [3621] 3622 3623 ... 3835