Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3621 3622 [3623] 3624 3625 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843396 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54330 on: November 14, 2019, 02:53:10 am »

I decided to play a human fortress, and I embarked near a river in a mirthful marsh. Things were going swimmingly, but then I received a DFHack notification: My Llamas were starving!

Apparently every single Llama in my fortress decided to climb into a single cherry tree, no doubt in rebellion against the terrible conditions. However, they could not climb down once there. And now they were llama-screaming about how hungry they were.

I ordered the tree cut down. One was crushed by a falling limb, many were wounded in major and minor ways, but the woodcutter was unhurt so I called it good and got on with building.

Then, a death! My woodcutter had been torn to shreds by . . . a stray dog? One of MY stray dogs?! What had caused this?

I checked the reports and traced the fighting back to instigation. The dog had been in the tree with the llamas and had sustained a glancing blow from one of the pieces of wood. After that, it immediately started attacking my woodcutter! Who apparently was too much of a chump to kick the dog away or something. Jesus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The headline would read: DOG SEEKS MORTAL REVENGE AGAINST CARELESS LUMBERJACK

I guess the game assigns fault to the person who cut down the tree? I can't imagine any other scenario.

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54331 on: November 14, 2019, 03:30:36 am »

So I've got two forts going on right now, one on my stream and one off-line. Both are modded, with added enemies via FortDefenceII and some RAW tweaks.
The stream one has some decent physical defenses in the form of a tall wall, and is in a reasonably nice area savagery wise (High, Neutral). Weirdly, the river is frozen until mid-summer, unfreezes for a few weeks then refreezes again, but I didn't settle in a cold region that I recall; a couple of ponds on the south end of the map however only freeze during the winter.
It's run into a few problems: No anvil. I didn't embark with one, and have had no dwarf merchants in 3 years, just human and elven ones. Hundreds of bars of metal and charcoal ready to go! It also means my military is barely even adquate. 10 Dwarves with decent skills but only 1 has armor and 4 have weapons.
Now, strangely.. I had some "Friends of Nature" ambushers come onto the map.. that are ELF LOVING DWARVES. Heretics, of course. They even use BOWS for Armoks sake. I also think one of my militia might be a spy... in a recent strange mood he made a BOW.

For my off-line fort I settled in a Good area, which Ive never done before. No unicorns yet, sadly. I'm trying out a few new aesthetic things in my design, mainly in the area of bedrooms. As with the first one, it has a tall above-ground tower for defense (with a lip to prevent climbers, of course), but I remembered to leave space for a moat of sorts around the edge. Its quite a bit newer than the stream fort so less has happened.. but they DO have an anvil. I'll post updates if I remember!

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54332 on: November 15, 2019, 03:40:05 pm »

This is amazing. A migrant dwarf named an (also immigrant) kitten Monom Rabid. Now, in Dwarven that name makes perfect sense - Monom Glowedrock in this case. But in English... well, the dwarf in question named the kitten after a disease!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54333 on: November 15, 2019, 06:09:13 pm »

For an Island Town in the middle of the sea where only Dwarf Traders, Werebeasts, and other wild creatures can find, where stone has to be imported, and it seems to rain ALL the time I think I'm doing okay.

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

palenerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Has every disease
    • View Profile
« Reply #54334 on: November 15, 2019, 11:05:00 pm »

So after missing the mountainhomes caravan 3 years in a row followed by infecting a human caravan with wereantelope-ism, I get this notification:

I guess I'm not trusted with regular liaisons anymore?
Here is a drunken rendition of Sodium Chloride, it menaces with electrons. This relates to the drunkness of palenerd in Early Spring of 2023.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54335 on: November 17, 2019, 06:59:51 pm »

Wow.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54336 on: November 17, 2019, 09:07:06 pm »

first time running a modded game with some custom adjustments (all races playable mod). the Elven Fortress of FlowerWheels was founded on year 125 in The Tender Dune, a savage desert of warm sands and climate.

nearest neighbors are the Goblins from Waddlewitch and the Dwarves of Focushames. without many trees avaliable in the untamed desert and with only a handfull of stagnant water pools in the area, the elves have had to resort to digging and living in the underground. grown wood is easily avaliable thanks to the fair amount of plants growing around the few patches of soil in the dunes. making an artificial oasis would be a dream come true but for now these protectors of nature will have to follow the rules of their neighbors and find a way to survive from booze, mushrooms and by finding the nearest cavern to get a water source.

EDIT: for abandoned, wasnt feeling good enough with with was being built also ran out of food in general. fishermen weren't finding anything in the cavern lake and there wasnt much crops to raise. better luck next time.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:48:55 am by xaritscin »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54337 on: November 19, 2019, 03:37:17 am »

A werelizard human killed my broker with a book.

This is the book.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54338 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:18 pm »

The broker thinks, "Oh, he has a book! Maybe he would like to sell that."

The werelizard thinks, "He noticed my book. Maybe he is tasked with bringing the book back!"

Whack! Whack! Whack! Whack!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54339 on: November 20, 2019, 12:44:36 am »

Migrant wave arrived, 18th of slate, and one of the dwarves that arrives instantly becomes mayor after appearing on the map. Says "she feels triumph to be elected" so the election must have happened at this second. Never seen that before!

Nothing else is really going on around here. Its been a boring two years.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54340 on: November 20, 2019, 11:51:59 am »

A werelizard human killed my broker with a book.

This is the book.

That . . . was a remarkably prophetic book.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54341 on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:37 pm »

New embark with ocean and marsh biomes. It's still early in the first year but it's already apparent that the (arguably small) sea area stays frozen until late spring/early summer and I'm thinking of building part of my fort underwater. Is there a way to keep the sea from freezing over once I'm done with the constructions?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54342 on: November 20, 2019, 09:03:28 pm »

Oh, geez... stressed dwarves from my previous (huge and old) fort keep coming in, and keeping the dead count steadily above the living. 5 years, and this fort is still barely functioning. Massive infighting since embark. I don't dare to expel them, not only because they might go berserk before leaving, but also because they are surrounded elven and goblin settlements (originally picked the location to have some sport warring them), so I don't know if they could get killed or kidnapped out there (and thus, driving my dying civs's demise). Should I just use magma to get rid of the worst vandals (and give them a !!dwarfy!! end, instead of ending up in the belly of a druid) or call it quits(not an option)?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54343 on: November 21, 2019, 11:17:37 am »

Your stressed won't get captured by goblins or elves if you exile them, it isn't simulated that deeply, so while I do think they'll technically walk past or through the goblin settlements, nobody will be trying to capture them.

Also, yes, destroy the worst vandals. If they're consistently bothering you, then they need to be gone, since even with exile they'll rejoin the pool of historical figures. As historical figures, they're a lot more likely to show up at future forts, which tends to cause problems.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54344 on: November 21, 2019, 05:09:40 pm »

"On year 125 a group of elves called The Contingent Hill went out into an exodus from their forest homes in The Future Forests after the nearby humans had conquered and subyugated their capital. With only a meager retreat left of their already small kingdom and with the menace of not only the possibility of another human occupation but also a potential invasion from the goblins of Hatelice, the small company decided to look for a new place far from the turmoil that had erupted around them. this group of elves was bent into not following on the mistakes of their leaders, seeking a safer and hard to reach location for their new home.

and so the legend of Shellsknives was started"

shitty lore aside, my newest fortress is basically Elves living in a volcano. the surrounding region is a cold "temperate forest" with very deep soil and an aquifer but thanks to the magma tube i should be able to reach the caverns instead of getting stuck at the surface.
Pages: 1 ... 3621 3622 [3623] 3624 3625 ... 3836