Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3626 3627 [3628] 3629 3630 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854651 times)

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54405 on: December 17, 2019, 02:10:44 pm »

Congrats on breaking the siege, dwarves. Well done. Solid C+ performance there.

As you know, we've worked hard to make a double-walled defense of the fort. Both walls can be manned by patrolling marksdwarves on top, safe between fortifications. Marksdwarves—while I admire your valor, the positional advantage of the wall is defeated when you vault over the fortifications into the field. I trust you appreciate this intricate feature of the wall now, as we have to restaff the squad.

The militia performed quite well. The ogres at the gate didn't stand a chance. Big kudos there. You even dealt with the two that fell though the airholes into our subterranean bee farm. That was rather unexpected. Revisions to the fortress design will now be implemented to prevent this. As well as make the walls un-vaultable.

Well, that dwarf died. Never figured out why he had blood loss. It was a rough year for the fort overall. Two dwarves got scared by buzzards while on the fishing pier. Leaped into the lake which promptly froze over. Fortunately their bodies were recovered from the ice by miners.
Could have a vampire. Possibly also an FB syndrome.

I'm starting to suspect vampire. Two animals were found dead under mysterious circumstances. Did vampires become sneakier in a more recent update?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54406 on: December 17, 2019, 02:59:18 pm »

No, they didn't But if it didn't report them as being drained of blood, a vampire wasn't to blame. Accidents, starvation (in the case of the animals,) or old age are possible culprits though, if it wasn't some manner of FB/Titan syndrome.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54407 on: December 17, 2019, 03:10:25 pm »

Beauty shot!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #54408 on: December 17, 2019, 03:43:09 pm »

So, you guys know that cool challenge of above ground fortress? It had been some time since I last did it. After a 100+ siege on a 60 adults fort I'll be waiting a while before trying that again. Never again will I complain about turtling and abusing bridges.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54409 on: December 17, 2019, 04:36:26 pm »

So, you guys know that cool challenge of above ground fortress? It had been some time since I last did it. After a 100+ siege on a 60 adults fort I'll be waiting a while before trying that again. Never again will I complain about turtling and abusing bridges.
i always try to mix a small above fortress with a huge subfort, but it's by far too dangerous.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

âbirtobul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54410 on: December 18, 2019, 02:58:21 pm »

Fort ended in bloodbath. Lone survivor was not sane. Choked a 10+ kill axe user to death while being ?paralized waist down?

Said dworf had been punished previously and forced into trial by combat unarmed vs a badger. Lost use of a hand and got cut up bad, but lived. Forgot about them till they saved the day, sorta (all dead but them).

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54411 on: December 19, 2019, 02:53:35 pm »

Ok dwarves, the siege defense performance was B+ this time, though I worry about your sanity. Last time, a small group attacked and you left no survivors. That was cool I guess, but no one's really been the same since.

This time hundreds attacked, and we have dozens and dozens of enemy bodies to dispose of. Really, one of the bloodiest battles I've ever seen. I hope you guys are cool with throwing them into the new and improved trash compactor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54412 on: December 19, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »

Woohoo, bloodline fort, reboot take 3.

19 dwarf start. 

Lady Stark is the noble one due to having no item preference. 

Ned Start dreams of peace in the world.  What a dumbass human. But at least he has Longsword and Shield and Steel preference.  Now where to get steel.

Oh yeah, 99k points cheese start.  No steel, just a bunch of raw materials so I can have a better guess how long constructing an above ground Winterfell will be like.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #54413 on: December 19, 2019, 06:30:33 pm »

Playing again for the first time since 2014. First world, I forgot my world generation preferences. First fort on the 2nd world, I lost 3 dwarves to remembering how to dig through an aquifer.

Current fortress, I found a gap through the aquifer by luck, directly beneath my farming area. The 1st wave of migrants just had 3 people in it. Just got my 3rd wave of migrants, and now finally have enough migrants to create some dedicated peons and let the skilled crafters focus on their work.

I've decided to turn my hospital into a Minor Megaproject, with an entryway mist-generator and lever-activated mist generators in each of 4 initial private hospital bedrooms for improved hygiene. The tricky bit is going to be figuring out how to keep the well from getting tainted.

If it goes well, I may do the same thing to a prison block.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54414 on: December 20, 2019, 05:04:05 am »

my fort went quite well, everything layed out with stockpiles marking the different rooms and areas on the surface, moat dug, cellar dug, outpost liason and trade caravan arriving, trading and then, the exact moment they leave the scene, it crashed.
i'm going back to using 44.09, because it's actually stable.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54415 on: December 20, 2019, 11:05:46 am »

Just training my cat military...

Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #54417 on: December 20, 2019, 09:44:35 pm »

Started up a fort with only 5 years of history behind us. At peace with literally every nation in the world, a state of affairs I have never seen before. Three years on, at war with one elven and two goblin nations and have razed a total of three smaller goblin sites.

I aim at nothing less complete dwarven domination of the world, via battalions of war rhinocerosi.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54419 on: December 22, 2019, 02:38:51 pm »

ihad to laugh aswell :D

i don't get why, but so far, 3/4 of all creatures that wandered to my fort were giant animals or animalpeople.
my dorfs take way too long processing the remains to crafts and it's slowing down my progress.
Pages: 1 ... 3626 3627 [3628] 3629 3630 ... 3836