Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3627 3628 [3629] 3630 3631 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852975 times)

Relicspread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54420 on: December 22, 2019, 04:21:57 pm »

My broker broke and broke our trade depot. This just as the humans were about to leave. No fighting so I hope we are cool...

On that note I also hope they are fine with this...

I keep misreading it as friend, I am really hopeful.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54421 on: December 23, 2019, 05:51:09 pm »

I've never seen this happen so I'm going to take a guess how this happened. The demon decided to appoint a general a long time ago, making itself a non-combatant. The demon was enslaved when a human nation conquered the goblin capitol. You freed the demon from slavery by raiding a human town.

I'm interested in seeing what happens from here.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #54422 on: December 25, 2019, 03:45:07 pm »

Have you guys ever had a tavern that was a little... too popular?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54423 on: December 26, 2019, 06:29:46 am »

Have you guys ever had a tavern that was a little... too popular?
too popular for what?
i once had a fort with 1/3 of the population being monster slayers who came wandering into my caverns to slay monsters and die there, creating a shitload of "store item in stockpile" jobs and ruined my fort that way.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54424 on: December 26, 2019, 11:02:34 am »

Magma crab infestation....

The dwarfs caught four magma crabs and released them into a breeding pit, but let them breed for too long. Now, there are 95 magma crabs. The dwarfs attempted to separate some from the herd using a trapped corridor. This failed, as the crabs followed their herd instincts and clustered near the ones that were captured by the cage traps. The overseer laughed and swore as the wooden cages rapidly deteriorated due to heat (warmed by one z above magma and by the magma crabs in or out of the cages?). The dwarfs are now building many copper cages and preparing a large trap corridor...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54425 on: December 26, 2019, 11:58:32 am »

The dwarfs caught four magma crabs and released them into a breeding pit, but let them breed for too long. Now, there are 95 magma crabs.

Good grief.  :o
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54426 on: December 26, 2019, 07:25:28 pm »

Sounds like target/dodging practice.

I was making a fort to test some more changes, heavily abusing cheating reactions to keep things going. Totally forgot to actually set up farms, kitchens, bedrooms etc because I was distracted building a wall and moat to keep Invaders out (of which we have seen no signs yet) Now my dwarves are uncomfortable and I haven't actually started those tests yet either... Sometimes, I am the worst overseer.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 07:31:17 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #54427 on: December 28, 2019, 12:40:39 pm »

A visiting goblin poet started a fist fight in my big tavern. Apparently you can prosecute foreign visitors for crimes just fine, because I was able to convict this Dostngosp of "disorderly conduct." One of my fortress guard came to administer the beating; my fortress guard, mind, have been training almost non-stop for a decade, so they're all huge and extremely strong. Dostngosp was summarily beaten to death in the streets. I wonder if this will strain dwarf-goblin relations...

In other news, the heir apparent, Princess Kib Gullyoiled, has just been born. King Vabok celebrated appropriately:
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54428 on: December 28, 2019, 02:41:06 pm »

two dwarves have been pummeling a troll that was trying to smash my crypts for a while now. i also managed to break the raws on all my saves, somehow. i'm sure it's because of dawnthunder, but i don't know how it managed to affect all of my saves.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54429 on: December 28, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »

within a few months, 2 of my dorfs inherited baron title. a marsh titan is lurking at my front gate and killed my 20+ lifestock and a handful of monster hunters who wanted to join my fort to guard die a horrible death in the caverns.
i managed to build a ramp from my front entrance to the caverns and lead the dwarven caravan out into the tunnels. too bad the next caravan won't come from there, but will meet the titan instead.
it would be easily killed if it wasnt for the spittle.

a cyclops arrived and was killed within a short brawl by the titan.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 03:13:46 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54430 on: December 28, 2019, 05:19:48 pm »

Crazy cheating testing fort goes well. My expedition leader became queen, got a snazzy tower built above ground. My other dwarves became outpost liaison and diplomat respectively, but my last save was so far back I didn't save scum because it would be awful either way. The walls are two stories higher, I built some temporary living quarters and an inn for folks to party in, so we're further from going totally bonkers, thank god.

One guy did go totally berserk, but that's because I forgot I had a strange mood waiting on materials. Only casualty thus far.

The actual tests should be runnable soon. Just gotta set up some livestock for the sacrifices.

Maybe after that I'll TAKE OVER THE WORLD since I have infinite resources and never managed to do it anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54431 on: December 28, 2019, 08:14:29 pm »

a goblin siege came by and got rid of the titan for me, still taking a handful of losses, reduced to 63 they patiently waited outside my gates for me to set up all the cagetraps.
i would've setup a grinder, but i feared they might leave if it took too long, so i only set up the bait cat and canceled the grinder.
so they went in, found the cat, and 1/2 to 2/3 of them and their beakdogs got caught in my cages before they ran off.

i opened the gates, stopped the alerts and started collecting goblinite.
finally having access to wood again, i start up my metal industry once again.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54432 on: December 29, 2019, 05:06:08 am »

I just spent half an hour killing and reloading a save, trying to figure out why deconstructing a block wall over magma was giving me ‼dwarves‼. Blocks shouldn't fall when you take them apart, so where was all this magma mist coming from?

Long story short, it wasn't the block. It was the dump site next door, where all my stone haulers couldn't resist throwing boulders into the drink to see (and feel) the splash...

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54433 on: December 29, 2019, 02:12:41 pm »

Things are starting to settle down in Guildgirders. There's still a lingering stress issue. I've setup a fine rehabilitation jail center that has waterfalls triggered by pressure plate. For the most part, crime has gone down a lot. The open cases screen is less than a page now, and migrants no longer arrive "despite the danger" hopefully soon I'll get a visitor.

Current project now is to build a royal palace, since I expect I'll be getting a king once I let the fort get a bit bigger.

Stonesense screenshot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #54434 on: December 29, 2019, 03:13:30 pm »

Legendsteels has reached year 15. I'm pretty proud of this fort, so I've put together a little tour for those interested.

Here's the main workshop area of the fort, centered around the Great Forge where our smiths churn our steel arms and golden crafts. Magma is supplied by a 45-level pump stack powered by the waterwheel "battery" in the SE corner. The magma runs to the glass furnaces and kilns in the SW also. To the east are the woodworks and cloth/leather shops; west are jewelers'. The room to the north is the "Shrine of Turqoise", temple of Sedur Tealiron, goddess of jewels: artifacts made of precious gems are displayed within. To the south (not fully shown) is the Mason's Hall where all out stonecrafts are done.

Up one level is the administrative district. West is the ecumenical temple, "The Shrine of Tenderness", in the center of which is the Holy of Holies: golden statues of the five goddesses surrounding an altar of cobalt, closed to the outside by a door of bronze. A dormitory for the homeless (S) and the hospital (N) complete the temple complex.
North of the forge is the judicial hall, where the mayor and captain of the guard live. The hall also contains "The Blanketed Shrine," temple to Kogsak goddess of laws. Just at the top you can see hammerer's quarters, guarding the fortress prison: a 9-level pit walled with cages, capable of housing 75 prisoners. It's completely excessive, but Captain-of-the-Guard Udib was  "outraged at the lack of cages and chains"...
East of the forge is the Great Hall that runs the length of the fortress, and the main gate to the fields outside. It's usually covered in vomit.

Up another level: the current main housing district, future manor district. Once I've relocated the residents I'll turn these houses into great mansions for the fort's most prestigious inhabitants.

South of the main area is the old heart of the fortress. Duke Kubuk's palace is west - it used to be the king's palace. The duke likes grates, and he likes rose gold, so I put rose gold grates in his room. His wife likes llamas and silver, so she has a silver llama statue in her chamber.
In the center is our main tavern, "The Complex Dates." It has rooms for twenty-two guests and, as you can see, is quite popular with entertainers. The first tavern keeper was a human named Sitsu, a fat lady, utterly shameless and fond of parties - too fond, really, as she eventually drank herself to death. The new keeper is a dwarf, and he's much better at holding his liquor.

Here's the Trade Gate from the outside, overlooking the Main Plaza. The Blue Road leads into the trade depot through an iron portcullis; ramps on either side go up to the temple of Tosid, eagle goddess of mountains. Down in the corner you can see the training area of the Foreign Legion, my all-mercenary squad. They don't seem to need as much stress-management as full citizens, so they train pretty much constantly. Most of them are pretty old though, but new mercs show up from time to time.

Below this is the Old Fort. At one point this was all there was to Legendsteels: houses, workshops, tavern, temple, library, hospital, even the duke's mansion all down here. With the move to the upper fort it went long unused, but I've been repurposing it as a "suburban" housing area around a garden and arboretum. Right now it's just a muddy cave, but once the moss grows it'll make a nice park. You can see in the NE the flooded room I used to water the place, which was once a well gone horribly wrong.

Below the Old Fort, under the temple of Alron, goddess of earth, is the crypt. This picture shows two levels. On the left is the old crypt containing the earliest tombs, along with the royal and ducal mausoleums. South is the Hall of Heroes, where dwarves who died in battle are buried. East are the foreign graves, where the bodies of visitors (who can't actually be buried) are housed reverently. On the right is the newer catacombs.

The (new) Royal Palace, at the northern end of the fort. On The first floor is the audience chamber where King Vabok sits on the steel throne (he's not sitting now, but that bright purple guy in the corner is actually the king). Behind the throne is a bronze statue that used to be the colossus Nonub Routgrowls, slain by my fortress guard. Behind the throne room is the Royal Library (most of whose books were, admittedly, stolen from the elves). North are offices/quarters for fortress functionaries.
The third and fourth floors are the royal residence. The dining hall is adorned with statues of imported malachite (the king's favorite stone). Two artifact armor stands flank the door, and behind the king's chair is an artifact statue of himself.
The royal bedrooms are at the top. The king's room (east) has two artifact chests and an artifact door leading to the balcony. The queen's room (west) is decorated with zinc figurines of loon men - zinc is her favorite metal, and loon men her favorite animal. The other rooms will be used for the royal children, when they arrive.

Here's the palace from outside. In the Royal Plaza there's a statue commemorating the four soldiers who were killed in that very place by elven invaders: they entered combat early, holding off the enemy by themselves, and even poly-legendary steel-clad warriors can only fight for so long - one by one they fell, exhausted, and were slain. But their sacrifice bought time for the rest of the military to show up, and the attackers were slain to a man.

Legendsteels' place in the world, at the southern end of the Good Crest. The elves to the north, the Silken Forest, have been our foes throughout all history, driving us to the brink of extinction. With Legendsteels, though, we've struck back, raiding and razing their sites. The humans to the south, the Union of Perfection, have been our allies in this endeavor, and as you can see have already conquered much of the elven heartland.

A shot overviewing the main part of the fort, showing the fields and outer wall as well.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)
Pages: 1 ... 3627 3628 [3629] 3630 3631 ... 3836