Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3632 3633 [3634] 3635 3636 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857835 times)

Blackadder

• Bay Watcher
  • Ask about our insanely low rate on !FUN! insurance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54495 on: January 26, 2020, 09:37:51 pm »

I had two hunters outside the walls of my fort trying to kill an elephant for days, running out of bolts and having to go back for more repeatedly. They must have hit the elephant hundreds of times before I decided to give them metal bolts to work with, then they spent another two days trying to kill what was essentially a walking pincushion at this point. I finally decided to order a squad to finish it, and in the ensuing fight, the elephant fell into one of my many cage traps as it fled ten angry hammerdwarves. We now have hellraiserphant in a cage awaiting training.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:39:29 pm by Blackadder »
Urist McWrestler: "Hmm, maybe if I bite his ear with my front top teeth, bite his foot with my front bottom teeth, and bite his right hand with my back bottom teeth, I can easily win this fight!"
It's not a real PARTY until the queen has a baby, picks it up, kills two goblins by punching THROUGH THE SKULL with her remaining hand, and then finishes off half a barrel of fungus wine while still nursing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54496 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:05 am »

Im starting a demon hunters fort. The surface will consist of three circular sub fortresses in the form of the unholy trinity sigils of the goetica. Lucifer, leviathan, and belial. Then each Z-layer will be built as one of the 72 sigils for the goetic demons, straight down into hell. The entire fortress will be dedicated to containing, killing, and invading hell.
Dude, you need a GF.
Where he's going, he shall not need gf, only df

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54497 on: January 27, 2020, 05:00:06 pm »

Dude, you need a GF.
oh look a sig

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #54498 on: January 27, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »

FPS is at an average of 3 in Crewdikes, sometimes sinking down to 1, making the construction of a drowning chamber with which to kill most of my ~600 animal population slow.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54499 on: January 27, 2020, 06:24:01 pm »

Dude, you need a GF.
oh look a sig
That's more mgtow. A sig just doesn't buy into the whole alpha-beta dichotomy. Doesn't really have anything to do with swearing off women.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54500 on: January 27, 2020, 06:36:28 pm »

A signature, not a sigma

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54501 on: January 28, 2020, 08:13:27 pm »

So had a hilarious thing happen in my fort just now. A bit back I had an ogre attack and before I could get my meagerly trained militia up to deal with it the ogres had attacked a poor defenseless soap dorf Urdim. Urdim was left with his whole right arm smashed to a pulp and his right knee torn up. Now I got a hospital set up quickly after that and assigned a doctor the doctor has taken wonderful care of Urdim until just recently. I had noticed that the doctor Led was running back and forth from Urdim to his room to rest but never getting to the room. He was stuck in limbo 'diagnosing' Urdim. I unassigned Led from diagnosing and from chief medical  dorf. Right after I did that Led ran to his room to rest but soon as Led got to the door way to his room he paused then ran back off to "retrieve patient". Led ran off got the patient and put them in bed.

The patient was a Microcline Mug. Good job Led.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54502 on: January 29, 2020, 10:19:59 am »

Digging out a new Fort. The centre of the map doesn’t have soil immediately underneath, and as a rule I only ever build one entrance at the middle of the map, so I’ve sent out plant gatherers to keep the stocks up until safe farms can be dug. I can’t be bothered to just dig one out and connect it up later.

On another note, I seem to have encountered a bug whereby Dwarves become cave-adapted almost immediately after going underground. My Miners began vomiting as soon as they started digging.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54503 on: January 29, 2020, 10:42:15 am »

v44 I embarked in a 2x2 site with a Vault. 

Oh crap, there 1-tile entrance, no door.  Of course I liquids in a 1x1 obsidian wall.  Works ok. 
Fascinating seeing (reveal all) how the structure is procedurally generated.  A part cube, part cylinder slade structure sprouting from the top level of the candy spire and upto the sky. 

I spent the next few hours designing my own cylinder tower using digcircle 25 as a base guide. 

My science experiment was to see if I can have access to demand surrender of this vault.  But I realized that I cannot select my own embark site to send out raid. 

Oh well.  next time, I will embark on a 1x1 adjacent to the suspected vault site.  So now I'm pondering on a fort/tower design that fits a 48x48 tile map.

And to do it in the next version.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54504 on: January 29, 2020, 07:02:44 pm »

New version fort is off to a "great" start. Undead hyena pack has already injured three, though with nothing permanent. Someone lost thier clothes to the cackling menace. Civ is at war (yes, you read that right - full on declared war type of war) with a necromancer tower, and two others are in range. Location was picked for promising resource reads of sand, clay, metals shallow and deep, and flux.

Smith has to do double duty as a basic medic.

I'm hoping to survive this, so my fort can become a bastion of dwarven might against the undead hordes, but this start has me a bit... Iffy, on the matter.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54505 on: January 30, 2020, 03:07:50 pm »

Started a new version fort and played till second summer.

90% of my dwarves worship Ner the moist squid, the dwarven goddess of coasts. The name is hilarious and the fort is inland :)

Or civ The Cudgel of Ravens has a goblin outpost liaison for some reason.

First artifact was a crown made of 2 gold nuggets. Pedastaling it into Ner the Moist Squid’s temple made it upgrade to max level temple complex.

Built a second temple to Ner to satisfy the petition of one of the two Ner sects. Now have a sacred fish priest.

Only violence so far was a wolf killing a pet bird.

Unexpectedly cavern layer 1 is only like 10 levels down from the fort.

Glass maker building status has made like 75% of them about Ner. Meanwhile the engraver is doing mostly historical dwarf carvings. Possibly depth of religion influences this?

Did not have the traditional year 1 werebeast incursion so it looks like that change is working.

Dwarves seem to be happy, unclear if stress issues are resolved. Possibly this is due to the just being happy about religion or its the lack of rain and corpses at this site.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54506 on: January 30, 2020, 03:17:44 pm »

In my initial fort - now deleted, as it was a write off due to the tiny enemy force being much better armored than anticipated. Iron axes are apparently unable to break bronze mail and soldiers are still retarded about equipping armor unless you tell them to explicitly replace their clothes - I had surprisingly little issue among my founders despite them having to fight off undead hyenas right out of the gate and almost everyone getting injured and needing to be stitched up by a blacksmith with no medical training.

This lead to several dwarves becoming "Kindred Spirits," an apparent upgrade from "Close Friend" with those they fought beside so that may be a thing now.

Been having trouble genning a world with terrain I like where I want it though in the interim. I'm not gonna go establishing forts in the same world despite the repeated attempts of updates to get me to do so. I hate having repetitive engravings of "dumbshit at fort A got killed by this ghoul." I get enough of that in my 44.12 fort with a savanna titan.

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54507 on: January 30, 2020, 07:22:38 pm »

Still in 44.12

One of my dwarves, Doren Umåmiden, mooded and made an artifact anvil. "Cool!" I think, going to look at it. "Maybe I can use that as a centerpiece forge once I get through my entirely flooded first cavern and cart some magma up!" The anvil is made of fine pewter and can't even be used in a normal forge. To the Pedestal of Useless Junk It Goes!

I've paid for four trading parties (elves and dwarves two years in a row) off of the same single prepared meal by trading away 100-200 units of it at a time. I still have 400 of it. The Giant Rhinoceros breeding program might have to be cancelled before it ever starts :'( I don't want these massive meals clogging up my QSP feeder stockpiles....

In more positive goings-on, I bought my expedition leader a giant hornbill, his favourite, and watching it follow him around to meetings and work is a delight. I normally pasture pets but the idea of this massive, ungainly bird ambling through the halls is too funny to pass up :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54508 on: January 30, 2020, 07:34:04 pm »

Has anyone else seen dorfs run around trying to "eat" but really just running in random directions, even after successfully getting a food item on a table?

I've got one dead dwarf who apparently died in the middle of a hallway of dehydration. Wasn't associated with a failed mood or anything, just died of failure to drink. And a ranger now running in random directions even though she has food on a table, has the "eat" job, is hungry, but wont sit down at the table.

I just witnessed it happen again. It appears the only factor common between all the victims is that they were mothers carrying babies. I'm adjusting the child cap for now to see if thats correct.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:47:18 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54509 on: January 30, 2020, 07:47:49 pm »

did they recently have babies, and are now mounted and being steered by the babies instead of by their own needs?
Pages: 1 ... 3632 3633 [3634] 3635 3636 ... 3836