Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3633 3634 [3635] 3636 3637 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787484 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54510 on: January 30, 2020, 07:58:42 pm »

That was mentioned in the release thread - that's exactly what is happening. Babies are steering their mothers and eventually killing them this way. Should be fixed in the first bug patch.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54511 on: January 30, 2020, 08:10:53 pm »

Steering their mothers? Like a mount? That's horrifying. And in hindsight exactly what one should expect from the circumstances.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54512 on: January 30, 2020, 08:30:56 pm »

"Wanna Horsey!"
"But Momma needs her booze."
"Horsey! Horsey!"

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54513 on: January 30, 2020, 08:55:03 pm »

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but I just discovered that one of the dwarf civs in my latest world has a pantheon of 57 gods. Not sure whether this is a bug courtesy of the new version or whether a civ can indeed have this many deities normally, but it certainly makes the civ stand out either way. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54514 on: January 30, 2020, 08:59:13 pm »

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but I just discovered that one of the dwarf civs in my latest world has a pantheon of 57 gods. Not sure whether this is a bug courtesy of the new version or whether a civ can indeed have this many deities normally, but it certainly makes the civ stand out either way. :P

I'm sure it's possible. I've had civs with double digit counts before, just not that high of one.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54515 on: January 30, 2020, 09:26:46 pm »

Quote from: DG
Was there mention of tweaks to pantheons that I missed? Specifically their size.
Hmm, I just added some new death deity guarantees...  if that's the result, it appears I screwed up a loop or something, ha ha ha.  Is that total exhaustion of all spheres?  It'd be cool as a rare thing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54516 on: January 31, 2020, 06:37:28 am »

Just genned a new fort. The first randomly-generated name for the embark group is "The Influential Night-Labors".

Doesn't look like there's any iron, at least not on the surface, but the embark preview did say flux and I did find a patch of fire clay.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54517 on: January 31, 2020, 07:21:31 pm »

Baby mount bug, huh? Mothers dying maternity? The end of the dwarven race is nigh?

Never fear, RAW tweaking is here!

Just remove [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] from the female dwarf.

The dwarven race is now saved, at the cost of a potential male-dominant patriarchy and mentally-scarred hardened children.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54518 on: January 31, 2020, 10:48:10 pm »

It would be better to just remove [baby:1] from the raw.

I've disabled child birth in my game. So far no ill effects. Three dwarves in all died as a result of their nefarious infants. I found that exiling the mother and child instead results in them running around without suffering starvation or dehydration. So there's currently one parent running around mindlessly under the spell of her wicked offspring. I exiled another as soon as she entered the map, and both her and her husband promptly left, with the child of course. So that worked too. Just exile the filthy promiscuous wenches and their witches' brats.

I've successfully made a guild hall! But it required involving a large serrated steel disc in a weapon trap. You can just layer guildhalls on top of one-another, turns out. So they can all share the same chamber, with rooms started from different chairs etc. But someone just became dismayed reliving -blank space-? I wonder if thats because of the failed farmers guild hall last year. Lucky them I just implemented that guildhall! They can share with the animal caretakers guild!

I caught a giant and a cyclops in cage traps. We also had two werebeasts I never mentioned. One of them killed nearly all my livestock before wandering away, and the other got inside and I panicked and atom-smashed like six dwarves. It also ate 2-3 more before turning back, whereupon I had my guards rip it apart. Luckily everybody it bit died.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54519 on: February 01, 2020, 01:15:19 am »

Finally got one of my test civs updated enough to embark without crashing - one with some rather extreme personality tendencies.  It's late summer of the first year at Velvetypolish, and I decided to check out the founding 7's relationship status.  The expedition leader and the chief medic are lovers, so that's a good start.  Meanwhile, the weaponsmith and the carpenter are both in love with the militia commander.  And also each other.  ...And one of the remaining two each.  Having two guys and five ladies for the founding party isn't ideal, but they seem to be making it work.

So definitely seeing the impact of the new relationship system!  It'll be interesting to find out what happens when immigrants start becoming part of the community.

I removed BABY:1 until that bug fix comes out, naturally.

EDIT: On 3 Sandstone, mid-autumn, the weaponsmith and the militia commander got married.  Their other lovers are now friends on their relationship screens, but still have them marked as lovers.  Maybe the others will update relationship status later on.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:03:03 am by Demonic Gophers »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54520 on: February 01, 2020, 02:48:29 pm »

designated my cistern which should be filled by the cave river...
but then, my dorf start cancelling "unappropriate digging square" because the found a sectio of the reclaimed worldgen fortress, that was absolutely disconnected from the fort and from the caverns.
i'd say this is a bug
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54521 on: February 01, 2020, 03:32:10 pm »

I had this individual show up as a (short term) visitor in my fort, with the undead/necromancer icon in teal:

I'm a) wondering what that's about, and b) really hoping they petition to stay long-term.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54522 on: February 01, 2020, 04:26:20 pm »

That's one of the new procedurally generated intelligent undead, I think. Some kind of necromantic human experiment gone horribly right.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54523 on: February 02, 2020, 03:42:16 am »

A necromancer siege has come, trapping the dwarves in the fortress. The guards have trained tirelessly, the trainers have trained war dogs, the smiths and mechanics have designed war hammer weapons traps to deal with the zombies. A great pit is being dug beneath to splatter their skulls against... the densest metal floor I can muster, hoping to get some gold smelted some day.

Soon... Like in a year or two. There's only sixty dwarves and they're all way overworked.

The mayor keeps demanding large gems. We continuously fail to make them. One dwarf was beaten to death, two were battered and routinely suffer flashbacks. Two were jailed. One of those jailed has begun staring off into space, lost in the void of self-pity (I feel you bro. I'm there, too.) I'm going to atom-smash the mayor at some point, but for now he is our greatest consoler and pacifier for dwarves who need it. Grand master and accomplished, respectively. If there were a way to groom someone as a replacement, permanently replace him, so I can put him in charge of a temple to console disheartened worshipers... But he would then only serve a small fraction of the population. The needs are many, everyone is itching to be free again, tired of the endless labor.

I put in an order for endless cut stone gems, turns out those dont produce large gems. But now I have competent enough jewelers large gems should appear more often from what little gems I have, right? I should probably manufacture green glass gems, I have sand and magma-based facilities in the deep now. But the glass makers are set to make menacing glass spikes to impale invaders on (i'm actually torn between covering the death pit in gold bars or menacing spikes. Which is deadlier in general? Maybe I'll make a checkerboard of it.)

The farms are productive at least. There's no shortage of alcohol, wool, pig tail cloth, or legendary meals. There are way too many turkey poults now, though. Once they get fat, turkey roasts for everyone. The farmers were growing restless from the lack of more creative crafts unfortunately, so they're all now branching out into glassmaking and clothesmaking/shearing. Should probably do the reverse and make sure a few crafters can cover for the farmers if they get carried away.
I make Spellcrafts!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54524 on: February 02, 2020, 06:00:36 am »

cutting small gems never results in a large gem. some gems just are large enough to create a large gem.
you can create large gems from stone or wood at the masons or carpenter workshop, but i don't know if the mayor will accept those.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3633 3634 [3635] 3636 3637 ... 3835