Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3634 3635 [3636] 3637 3638 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787331 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54525 on: February 02, 2020, 06:57:08 am »

Ha. Tavern Keeper just drunk himself to death.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54526 on: February 02, 2020, 07:12:13 am »

I wonder how this must sound like out of context. The tavern's such a god-awful place the tavern keeper cannot stop himself from drinking.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #54527 on: February 02, 2020, 12:34:34 pm »

The first world I genned in the new version ended up being pretty much dead. I had let it run for 300 years and most of the megabeasts died off early, but there happened to be a necromancer tower.

Embark warns me my civ is dead or dying. Expedition leader is immediately promoted to king, and another dwarf becomes expedition leader. Light aquifer was easily breached and walled off, and I began to dig out my fort in layers of chalk and marble below.

Not a single caravan shows up. The hard-coded migrant wave gives me 2 dwarves. A siege of around 7 necromancer experiment archers shows up. (I was initially worried that they were demons from a worldgen "dig too deep", since they were called "Demons of E-<something>", but I remembered demons don't impersonate horses.) I didn't have any idea how tough they are, so I seal off my fort with some logs and start smelting all the iron ore I've got so I can forge equipment.

Unfortunately, I didn't store enough logs in my fort before I sealed, and most were wasted fulfilling the king's mandates for barrels. I decide to search the caverns for mushroom trees. First cavern is barren with no water or vegetation. Second level same thing. I hit the magma sea and there's no air above it, just rock. I decide to dig into a candy spire from above, just for the hell of it, and eventually end up unleashing the circus. I activate my civilian alert and my miner flees back to the fort and I lock the floor hatch behind him. Demons start an endless war with the cavern animals that enter the map.

I decide I've got to kill the experiments to get wood, so I draft my two unarmored miners and unseal the fort. The experiments didn't leave their corner of the map (where they'd been shooting the surface animals earlier,) so I probably could've grabbed some logs an made some armor. I was out of patience by this point, though, so I send them to battle. They receive major injuries from arrows during the charge, but make short work of the experiments with their pickaxes. I get the hospital set up and treat them. I unlock the cavern hatch and retire the fort, deciding I'll take the demons on in adventure mode.

The only option available is human outsider, so I go with that and have him start in my retired fort. The game immediately crashes. Turns out there's a bug with outsiders in the current version, so I decide I'm done with the world. Given the frequent crashes during worldgen, I'll be waiting for 0.47.02 to start again.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:37:58 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54528 on: February 02, 2020, 04:01:54 pm »

Got my first artifact. Very basic steel hammer with yak leather spikes. Vultures have someone stressing out (because of the retarded stacking vengeful thoughts even though they didn't take part in any actual fighting.) First Temple is up, dedicated to the god of minerals which seems to be the religion of my civ, The Fair Ships.

Have started work on luxuriant housing options for the populace as is my tendency to do - a bedroom on one level, a personal dining room in the other, with the flux composition allowing for a nice medium value set-up. Had to downsize my tavern to force everyone into a tight space because of that vulture-stressed little pedant. Not sure, but it feels like the whole "not socializing very far" thing might still be an issue. But if these little shits are gonna complain about lack of friends, I'll fuckin' make them make friends.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54529 on: February 03, 2020, 04:59:46 am »

1 year in, and a farmer's guild has been estabilshed.

'Roughseals' is still a young standard fort, but with lots of iron ore and on the border to the goblin lands it has potential.
Raw maps uploaded to DFMA, but without notes or POIs. (https://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12850-roughseals-roughseals)

For newcommers and oldies: Pleases consider using the map archive, - it's still working great, and it's always fun to see how different people setup their forts.  :)
https://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54530 on: February 03, 2020, 05:55:21 am »

I wonder how this must sound like out of context. The tavern's such a god-awful place the tavern keeper cannot stop himself from drinking.
Either that or it's a brilliant tavern. On the scale of drinking oneself to death, there is no in between.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54531 on: February 03, 2020, 08:47:18 am »

So, I started up this fort with a bunch of miners, hoping to dig out a sorta tall castle/tower in a pit dug out of the soil layer.
I don't know if that makes sense, I'm not running on very much sleep right now. But this is an idea I've wanted to do for a while, but it's always failed due to the sheer amount of dwarf hours involved as well as their tendency to gleefully kill themselves whilst channeling out large areas.
I was convinced that this time I had a better idea of how to do it - spoiler alert, I did not. Well, not really. New problems arose.
I haven't even really played the game in ages, so it's no surprise that things went wrong.   

I think I have learned some things that might help me succeed on future attempts at this kind of fort design, but I haven't given up on this one just yet (despite the populace sinking into madness after the myriad tragedies that keep befalling them). No, since my miners were proving so useless in digging out the desired empty space around the spire, I have instead rigged up this ridiculous, incredibly derpy structure over the whole thing, designed to drop into the whole and hopefully smash a bunch of the layers of rock/soil still remaining whilst leaving the tower itself intact.
Won't be surprising if this fails entirely, but well, what can you do? Gonna load the game and drop the hammer. Wish me luck.   

Edit: yeah, that didn't work. We busted some poor woodcutter's head and didn't really accomplish much else.
Oh, and I realised that the reason a bunch of kids were fast asleep in the murky, horrible depths of what was intended to one day be a sort-of moat, which is filled with caskets containing our dead because I didn't have anywhere else to put 'em (also the whole place is slowly flooding due to an earlier, unrelated screw-up) is because I accidentally put a bunch of beds in there instead of the last wave of coffins. Whoops.   

I think it's about time to move on from this cursed place...   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:14:16 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #54532 on: February 03, 2020, 01:31:02 pm »

I accidentally killed two dwarves by neglect. Apparently, they were standing outside, and I've forgotten about them, so they died from dehydration (I embarked near an ocean, so there was no water source that is not salty or stagnant). Then a giant crab emerges from the ocean water and kills some hens, which also were outside, by decapitating them with its pincers.

Other than that, I'm doing well without DFHack and its QoL features, to my own surprise. The winter is almost over, so my elvish partners will appear soon, hopefully bringing me good animals for breeding war beasts.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54533 on: February 03, 2020, 02:11:28 pm »

Light aquifers can serve as an easy mist generator.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54534 on: February 03, 2020, 10:14:56 pm »

Snatcher, yay!
Spotted, but undeterred. He walked straight past a dozen civilian dwarves, into the tavern, grabbed a kid and ran off. Were they always this brave? Maybe I'm too used to thieves who run the moment they're spotted.

After his belated rescue, the three year old kid is feeling guilty after being confined (in a snatcher's bag) and horrified at seeing the snatcher's body. Scary.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54535 on: February 04, 2020, 12:09:56 pm »

You... are in the wrong profession my friend.

(Also serves as a nice shorthand for what is going on in my fort. Pain. Pain and suffering.)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54536 on: February 04, 2020, 01:01:07 pm »

Just had a perfect site and a lot of work setting it up destroyed by a werecreature. More one of those moments "Fuck you, player!" that DF has a lot.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54537 on: February 04, 2020, 08:05:06 pm »

Just had a perfect site and a lot of work setting it up destroyed by a werecreature. More one of those moments "Fuck you, player!" that DF has a lot.

It's that sort of fun that makes step 1 of all my forts: construct an emergency safe zone asap.  It is a dangerous world these dwarves embark upon after all. 

In my fort, the importance of doors - in particular their ability to obstruct the flow of liquids was again realized; as magma destroyed several workshops severely cluttered with hundreds of masterworks.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54538 on: February 04, 2020, 08:19:22 pm »

It's that sort of fun that makes step 1 of all my forts: construct an emergency safe zone asap.  It is a dangerous world these dwarves embark upon after all. 

In my fort, the importance of doors - in particular their ability to obstruct the flow of liquids was again realized; as magma destroyed several workshops severely cluttered with hundreds of masterworks.

I'm no stranger to DF perks - I had 2 trained soldiers with full plate armor and a safe zone. However, SNAFU happened - many civilians instead of pathfinding the sensible route went directly into the werecreature ( it was a blinking Werelizard Hammerlord, but without weapon), most of them got bitten, and my 2 soldiers managed to get wrecked by the werecreature.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54539 on: February 04, 2020, 08:28:24 pm »

Another post for the babies breaking their mothers. Almost through the spring of the second year, and a carpenter gives birth.  Now she's running around trying to do her job of making doors interrupted(sometimes with a message of job item lost if she was already carrying it) by being yanked around randomly by the baby.

Tried to put the baby in a burrow, but that appears to do nothing. Maybe put the mother in a separate burrow, but if that actually worked then someone else probably would have thought of it already.

Also, I've seen a handful of dwarves randomly dive into the nearby river for some reason. One was fishing, the other was stockpiling something that was probably nowhere near the river.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3634 3635 [3636] 3637 3638 ... 3835