Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3638 3639 [3640] 3641 3642 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5830688 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54585 on: February 12, 2020, 06:39:11 pm »

Something's not right there. Swordsdwarf . . . steel mace?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #54586 on: February 12, 2020, 06:45:12 pm »

I can only guess there was no sword available so the swordwarf (i didn't set him to use a specific weapon) had to use that nice steel weapon we looted from an "accident" with the trade depot :D

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54587 on: February 12, 2020, 07:09:43 pm »

Sounds like they've got problems.  :D (Actual conversation in Adventure mode, today, in 0.47.02)

You: How have things been?
The baroness Urr‹th Shosˆladril: Well, let's see...  we've got beasts, bandits, bone-chilling horror, brewing trouble with our neighbors and the missing treasure.
You: Tell me about the bone-chilling horror.
The baroness Urr‹th Shosˆladril: There are foul goings-on over at the tower of Polishedcloistered.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54588 on: February 12, 2020, 08:53:36 pm »

Had another one-second siege, followed shortly by another snatcher.  This time one of my soldiers chased him down, hamstrung him, and then stabbed him through the heart.  I think he bled to death before passing out from exhaustion.

My people were starting to get distracted by lack of prayer, so I gave up using the wagon to encourage relationship building and gave them a temple of all gods.  Almost immediately, a child was possessed and built a toy axe with three magnetite boulders, a batch of iron bars, and a few odds and ends.  Obviously a sign, so I put the artifact on display in the new temple.

The well reservoir is now about 3/4 full and has a nice shiny well in active use.  The outer walls enclose roughly half the perimeter.  I'm having to quarry for siltstone to keep up the supply of blocks now, instead of just chewing through the waste from carving out rooms I needed.  Population is up to 57, including 21 children.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54589 on: February 12, 2020, 11:09:13 pm »

A goblin poet got into a drunken tavern brawl and killed my engraver. The Sheriff/Militia Commander decided to kill the goblin with her bare hands instead of arresting him. Anyway, the goblin had 3 books on him, all about... him writing other books. Are all goblins so conceited?

How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54590 on: February 13, 2020, 02:12:33 am »

I just got a notice that my mechanic, Mesthor ïlunozal, was interrupted by a cave crocodile. I zoomed in to see if I could rescue him, but without my assistance, he got into a three-page bare-knuckle brawl and left a bloodied and broken crocodile without taking a single hit. I'm giving him a hammer and renaming him Mes-Thor.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54591 on: February 13, 2020, 02:29:56 am »

Struggling deeply with minecart mechanics...

TillyII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54592 on: February 13, 2020, 03:22:25 am »

Anyone know why my dwarves are all in conflict with eachother? There seems to be little cause.

They all seem to disturb eachother
[/url]

and everyone's thoughts seem to be similar if not identical to this:
[/url]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54593 on: February 13, 2020, 03:44:10 am »

If they’re all fighting, You have a Loyalty cascade on Your hands, matey. When Dwarves attack members of the same Civ, thry become enemies of that Civ, so other Dwarves attack the enemy of their Civ, but even though they’re an enemy of that Civ they’re still a part of that Civ, so everyone ends up becoming an enemy of their own Civ, and so they attack the other enemies of the Civ whilst being themselves being an enemy of said Civ, and, uh.

Short version: if one of Your Dwarves attacks another of Your Dwarves, they all end up attacking each other until they’re all dead.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TillyII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54594 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:16 am »

oo… so that's why I had to dig thirty graves. no biggie.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54595 on: February 13, 2020, 09:23:00 am »

It'd be fun to know how it started. The latest devlog mentions a loyalty cascade issue from anti-goblin spies keeping their fake identities when they visit or immigrate to your fort. Your people believe they're from goblin lands and attack them, but since they really are from your own civ, it counts as a loyalty cascade.

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54596 on: February 13, 2020, 01:30:24 pm »

My entire military got wiped out by a goblin siege that was much bigger than I anticipated. So I closed the gate and decided to forsake the gore encrusted surface world for a little while. Then I get a notice that Urist harvesting crops has been interrupted by a goblin spearman. Immediate pause and zoom. I had walled off and roofed the original entrance to my fort and put crops in the original storage rooms, but I missed one tile of ceiling. For some reason, there are ten children mulling about, now cut off from the stairwell by three invaders that have fallen in from above. I immediately draft the closest dwarf, my legendary miner, hoping to stall for enough time to wall up the area at least. He went  into a martial trance and just annihilated the invaders, with only one bad hit on him. Praise the miners.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #54597 on: February 13, 2020, 02:43:53 pm »

Decided to give a try to the new modest+accelerated mod and embarked not too far from a tower, as i wanted to get some brawl at some point.

But i really didn't expected said brawl to happen that soon in my fortress development.
My fort basics were all done, excepted for entrance doors (that i had manufactured and were in stockpile but not yet built on spot).
But this time i embarked on a 4x4 , so i thought the dwarves had all the time to carry those doors and build them to seal the fortress.

Hmm, it was the time for unknown reason the AI suddenly deciding to NOT carry the doors to the site ?
But that oddity was no problem i thought again, i had truckload of wood (i like how accelerated simplify materials names) so i'll just completely seal the entrance with walls, only 2 walls to build and i would be safe, after all the small bunker i had made outside had been made very fast, so building 2 simple walls at my fort entrance should be piece of cake (especially with how close my wood stock was.

Yet i understimated how ultra cowardly dwarves can become with their extreme emotions :D because despite the walls were all in the burrow and so easy to access for the safe dwarves, they simply refused to get there, i was seeing them moving toward the construction site then running back before reaching the place.
One dwarf for some reason decided to finally move there but stayed there without doing anything like building that damn wall :D
Urist strikes back i guess.

I thought maybe at some point one of the dwarves will get over his emotions to actually get that easy and fast job done.

But they never did that, and probably never would have had the time at that point, because there wasn't only regular slow undead in the enemy army, there was several necromancer's experimental abominations he called Mubo's Warriors
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And once those bastards entered the map they rushed for the whole 4x4 zone , slaying animals and exploding my trade depot in seconds and ran into my fort in which my cowardly dwarves were still unwilling to build those few walls.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The less i can say is that my 9 useless weak and already traumatized for some reason dwarves (i got a very small migrant wave) didn't really last a minute :D

TillyII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54598 on: February 14, 2020, 10:22:25 am »

My legendary axe dwarf fell on hard times after our first goblin siege. She managed to kill 3 of them, but in the end... well she looked like this.

… well a few years have passed and she hasn't healed in the slightest...
In hind sight... I should have made her the baroness of my colony when I had the chance.

this is what turns up in google for "mangled beyond recognition"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:28:42 am by TillyII »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #54599 on: February 14, 2020, 12:28:49 pm »

Reclaimed my previous fallen fortress and was disapointed again to see none of the threat that took it down was there anymore, i often wish that old 0.28.x feature was still there in which you could send reclaim big army and fight back whoever had conquered your fort.

Anyways, after the always super boring and overly long (when you don't use dfhack autodump command to make the same thing that takes in real time more than a hour into just a couple of minutes) cleaning and retaking of all the items spread all over the map, i started to get dwarves working and training for a fight.
... waiting for said fight to happen ... send a couple of pillaging expedition to help ... but still fights never happened.

So after a while i finally took the decision to dig into the caverns despite the threat of adding to the fps problem those places have, the goal was to at least hope that if the fight wasn't coming from the surface enemies, there could be some underground ones that would come from there.
Took a much longer time than i thought to reach a huge cavern.

Then looking at the plants i understood why it took so much time, it happens i have completely missed the 1st cavern and ended in the 2nd or 3rd one :D
It's rare that it happens for my dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 3638 3639 [3640] 3641 3642 ... 3836