Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3640 3641 [3642] 3643 3644 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862686 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54615 on: February 15, 2020, 06:31:25 pm »

Double post

TillyII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54616 on: February 15, 2020, 11:58:46 pm »

9th Galena 559 Late Summer. - Claspwish

The fortress has erupted into an all out civil war. There are bodies everywhere. It's really stinking up the fort.

This is triggering my cave-in ADHD

Lol, well you haven't even seen the full fort. It's based on the idea that the king to be wished for his mighty voice to be heard throughout the fort. The other half is a large circular pit that slowly narrows until the bottom where the kings chamber rests. He should theoretically be able to yell and the entire fortress hear his speech. From his chambers there will be a set of tunnels leading down to candy and where we plan to release the clowns.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54617 on: February 16, 2020, 04:01:19 am »

Giant attack!
Great lumbering beast. Let's see what he's armed with.
Artifact sceptre in his right hand, lion bone menacing with spikes of bituminous coal. That's gonna hurt.

And in his left hand?
A slab inscribed with the secrets of life and death.
Hmm....

TillyII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54618 on: February 16, 2020, 04:24:26 am »

An ettin brought a full diamond slab with the secrets of life and death on it to my fort. It's currently set up in my baroness' room right along side her tomb.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54619 on: February 16, 2020, 05:15:34 am »

Finished my anti-cave-adaption tavern. Let's see how well it works.

Now I have to start weapon production, start training a military, dig down to the caverns to get some water, and then set up soap production and make an hospital...

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54620 on: February 16, 2020, 05:23:11 pm »

Can somebody explain to me what just happened? I guess this is a new feature of .47 but I don't understand what is actually going on. So my boys were chilling in tavern, and among them one metalcrafter who was taken by mood, i didn't have stuff for him, so he kept hanging in tavern with other guys when he went berserk.
And then suddenly my guys started turning into "dark stalkers" - I mean, they became "dark stalker dwarf miner" for example and I don't really understand why they started killing each other. in mere moments 27 out of my 30 dwarves were dead, all dark stalkers included. what is this? what is going on?

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54621 on: February 16, 2020, 06:02:09 pm »

Started a new fort in a small world with 550 years of history, lots of civs and monsters going on. All in all, there's a total of about 2500 artifacts across the realm.

Found a small fortress in the shadow of a volcano, carved a keep out of one of the smaller peaks and pierced the caverns straight away as the surface is void of trees and water. Lo & behold, monster hunters appear in droves asking to slay beasts below our mountain halls. At first, I accept only a few. Then, I notice that almost 1 in 3 of these monster hunters have some kind of books or artifact on them, some have multiples! From then on, I accept only those who have something to "offer" the fortress. Many have happily gone down to the caverns and been slaughtered by trolls, giant cave spiders and troglodytes. Over time, I had accepted so many monster hunters that few monsters were able to pose a real threat, and by the 3rd year of the fort there was a sprawling syndicate of monster hunters in the caverns at all times, crushing any beast that dared creep out of the depths.

One new arrival was a Marksdwarf bearing an artifact iron ring. He was apparently tired of all the other monster hunters taking all the glory and decided to charge, head on into a magma crap that popped out of the caverns. The magma crap promptly melted his chest, where his corpse then fell to the cavern floor. Burning. The flames spread in a circle around the magma crap, while other monster hunters circled around the spreading burn area. Finally, a speardwarf charged through the flames and speared the crab in the head. We'll have to make sure he gets a statue in the future.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54622 on: February 16, 2020, 06:25:06 pm »

And then suddenly my guys started turning into "dark stalkers" - I mean, they became "dark stalker dwarf miner" for example and I don't really understand why they started killing each other. in mere moments 27 out of my 30 dwarves were dead, all dark stalkers included. what is this? what is going on?

I got a "Dwarf speardwarf ruined slayer" visiting one of my forts as a tavern, looking for some artifact, I think. I assume it's something similar ? Didn't had Fun with it, although I was expecting it with a name like that. Or maybe it didn't just showed up yet.

He left quickly though.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54623 on: February 16, 2020, 07:11:27 pm »

In CraftRiddle I fear the end is near.  People are going insane, the prisoners in the jail are too close to each other and have started fist fights, and the Sheriff isn't arresting people fast enough.  Fistfights, vandalism, and animals being punched.  A few will be tossed in with the Were-lizard soon.  Mark my word!

But at least there is a majority still following orders.  Brewing, hunting, cooking, and building the walls higher and higher.

I will not retire till the fresh water well is working, the hospital has traction benches, and there is all the equipment needed to keep the settlement running.

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54624 on: February 17, 2020, 02:08:46 am »

While moving my fort to the new release I decided to retire a copy and check out legends mode. There I found out that a lone dwarf had lead a one-woman crusade to retake the ancient dwarven capital from the goblins who currently rule the world. Throughout the autumn of 1051 she charged in alone against literally thousands of goblin warriors. Over the course of 3 separate assaults she managed to outmaneuver the entire army and rack up 99 goblin kills.

Sadly, her luck finally ran out in her 3rd attack, where she was cornered and killed by a goblin who had spent the previous 4 centuries doing nothing but cycling through dozens of romantic partners.
One thing to note is that, while she never faced them in battle, both her husband and the current dwarven king were drafted into the defense against her. Damned cowards.

Rest well, Kikrost. The dwarves of Bearpillars will make sure your bravery is not forgotten.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54625 on: February 17, 2020, 03:13:19 pm »

>A FB made of grime with webs attacks my fort
>But actually it's stuck on an underground fungus
>I dig it out
>They kill all of my military squad
>THE ENTIRE FORTRESS toss themselves at it in a beautiful conga line and promptly dies in record time

I'm sorry, but no. My fort's not dying to something this stupid. Web FB's are stupid enough. Without functional marksdwarves I can't really take care of them because your melee military just... dies.

Also this tag-team dwarf conflict issue really needs to be fixed. I've had half a fortress beating on an unconscious giant for months for some reason in the last version.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:18:16 pm by Naryar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54626 on: February 17, 2020, 04:02:51 pm »

Huge things take a ton of effort to pound into mush. Moreso without weapons.

The grime webber also reminds me of a poison gas water blob I thought was a shoe-in to kill; an easy notch on my first successful marksdwarf squad's belt. It got out a single gas burst, which caught damn near everyone in the gas cloud.

The marksdwarves rapidly suffered swelling to the point of necrosis, and most died en route to the hospital. Those that didn't croaked in surgery.

Fireblade now has an issue that I have never ever had to worry myself with ever. A berserk, armed, and mostly armored axe lord. Because of multiple murders during a tantrum, I pinned a bunch of shit on her; espionage you see carries with it an extensive prison sentence - 200+ days more of than not. Multiple offenses apparently get you 50 hammerstrikes as well. So, I took her helmet, figuring she'd make it through (and nearly had,) take her hammering, and be dealt with in a quick and efficent manner. When she snapped.

I can only hope my other men can handle her. One good thump to the melon should do, but I'm not optimistic.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54627 on: February 17, 2020, 07:28:17 pm »

When I had ten dwarves, one of them declared himself king. I hadn't had contact with my civ for a couple years -- two diplomat-merchants never left after the first autumn and have just been hanging around on the map. I had one migrant wave, but since then no migrants have come. My fort dropped to nine dwarves when I accidentally drown one by having him run a screw pump next to a river into a too-small channel. Now my problem dwarf is struck with melancholy, so I'm down to eight dwarves.
     My king leads by example and works his jobs constantly. One edict, or whatever they're called, in the four-or-so years that he's been in charge. I've contacted some humans and other-civ dwarves by a one-time tribute demand and got my first real trade caravans just this year.
     I'm just about to start my seventh year with this fort.
     Just checked: My farmer/brewer/clothier/bookbinder/scholar has died from a terminal case of melancholy
     Eight dwarves and three non-citizen resident humans.
     I've sent a one-time tribute demand to some goblins with whom my civ has had no contact, figuring that maybe they'll want to trade. I've had friendly goblins hang out before, so maybe I'll get one who'll apply for citizenship. And if the goblins choose war, tough beans. Speaking of war, my civ went to war with some humans and made peace again without consulting with my king. I don't get it.
     So I'm at a crossroads. Do I execute the diplomat-merchants who will neither leave, go berserk, or starve? Some Lord Consort keeps showing up to party with my dwarves, but that's not bringing me migrants or trade caravans. I'm not sure I can engineer a cave-in from below without killing my only miner/mason/stonecrafter, plus one of the two is on the edge of the map so I wouldn't know how to make that happen. I'm in the untamed wilds with monsters set to high on world-gen, along with a very short history, but not a titan, cyclops, nor roc in sight. It seems like a king should be able to execute officials for non-feasance.
     I have an endless supply of camels, so my military is pretty good, if small, and my beekeeper/engraver/mechanic/presser/broker king has turned a sparsely treed desert into a heavily-forested map covered with highwood trees and saguaro. My now-legendary cook (and mason) has ensured that I can buy out any caravan with prepared meals. And if nobody snaps, I can keep this up until they die of old age. I have one female in the fort, so now if she has a baby it'll ride her to death...? That would be bad -- she's my legendary cook.
     So that's what's going on in my fort: Shall I or shall I not execute a couple nobles for non-feasance?

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54628 on: February 18, 2020, 04:58:02 am »

...my beekeeper/engraver/mechanic/presser/broker king has turned a sparsely treed desert into a heavily-forested map covered with highwood trees and saguaro.

Wait, does beekeping promote treegrowth?

So that's what's going on in my fort: Shall I or shall I not execute a couple nobles for non-feasance?

I mean... if you think them dying won't cause the other dwarves to sink into despair for it, I'd execute them. Down with the system!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #54629 on: February 18, 2020, 05:03:34 am »

Stadtfradt, if you update to one of the very latest versions (47.02 or .03) then you won’t have to deal with the mother-baby problem.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 3640 3641 [3642] 3643 3644 ... 3836