Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3644 3645 [3646] 3647 3648 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853447 times)

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54675 on: February 25, 2020, 12:07:54 am »

Pine had to be barred from assisting because it turns out units make armor for the maker's race, not the fort's race, and we didn't need 8 suits of human-sized steel plate. They'll be able to begin training soon.

if i remember right, if you request the armor through manager orders, you can specify the size you want them to be

DiscoUrist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54676 on: February 25, 2020, 12:38:49 am »

It is the seventh year since the founding of Cryptsplattered. After weathering numerous goblin sieges, werebeast attacks, and rooting out a vampire, Project Blackout is complete. The entire surface is now shielded from the hated sun and rain, and no longer shall my dwarfs descend into madness under the foul influence of the cursed daystar.

My squads have trained constantly for the last year, and with their army of war grizzly bears are ready to take the fight to the enemy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54677 on: February 25, 2020, 12:53:24 am »

Pine had to be barred from assisting because it turns out units make armor for the maker's race, not the fort's race, and we didn't need 8 suits of human-sized steel plate. They'll be able to begin training soon.

if i remember right, if you request the armor through manager orders, you can specify the size you want them to be

I'm aware, but he was trying to help out at the general forge that all of the metalworkers use (Hake, a homegrown legendary, and Pine himself, have thier own private forges.) I didn't realize that it was a thing until Pine made a large steel mail shirt without being told to, which turned into a second suit of armor for a new halberdier all the same, when I found out one of my new bard citizens was both fairly young and had previous skill as an axeman.

It was more of an interesting thing to note more than anything though, cause I didn't know it was a thing as I'd never had a legendary armorer of another race in any of my forts.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54678 on: February 25, 2020, 01:22:25 am »

Ghoulrooted. Spring 251.  Lost the weaponsmith and the carpenter from my founding seven.  Blast it, Osta, couldn't you and Dostngosp have drained some of the no-skill migrants instead?  Now we'll be stuck with useless trash weapons and beds until I can get replacements trained up, and metal seems to be scarce at this site.

One of those no-skill migrants, Smunstu of bloodline Vice, has eight more children than when he arrived.  We've also got a monster hunter who decided to move in, taking Ghoulrooted up to 27 goblins in all.  One of the youngsters is a deep goblin, who ought to be useful if I keep this fort going long enough for him to grow up.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54679 on: February 25, 2020, 12:05:12 pm »

I seem to have encountered a bug where a couple of goblin pits have had their populations expanded to the hundreds of millions. Not good news for the nearly-extinct dwarves and humans.

As a test, I sent my militia to raze one of those sites. Not only did they all survive, aside from a few war dogs, but they each killed over 50 historical figure goblins. This instantly catapulted them to legendary status in all of their combat skills. Unfortunately, with a defending force of nearly 150 thousand spontaneously generated non-historical goblins, I can't actually destroy or capture the site, no matter how many I kill. Maybe I can eventually intimidate them enough that they'll surrender without a fight.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54680 on: February 25, 2020, 12:09:17 pm »

Dealing with aquifers for the first time in years.
I failed to remember that they also drip down.
So now I'm forced to relocate my initial workshops and dorms. And this aquifer goes deep.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54681 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:51 pm »

Dealing with aquifers for the first time in years.
I failed to remember that they also drip down.
So now I'm forced to relocate my initial workshops and dorms. And this aquifer goes deep.
You could dig out all the aquifer-bearing material above your rooms to protect them.

Ghoulrooted.  Autumn 251.  Dostngosp Speechhates has murdered the resident monster hunter Ozud Curse, and also Smunstu Vice - the planter who has fathered at least eight children here.  Maybe Dostngosp thought he'd contributed enough to the population already.  A gold weaver bard has moved in; she could be quite useful, if she survives long enough to become a full citizen.

Osta has finally gotten one of the ditch goblins trained well enough for sparring matches.  We're also getting basic armor and shields to train their defensive skills; at least the armorer hasn't been murdered yet.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54682 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:52 pm »

Engdul Dolilbadu, a boss is visiting.  He carries an artifact steel battle axe, an artifact silver short sword, and an artifact silver war hammer.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54683 on: February 25, 2020, 08:58:40 pm »

Engdul Dolilbadu, a boss is visiting.  He carries an artifact steel battle axe, an artifact silver short sword, and an artifact silver war hammer.

"boss" is certainly a funny way to spell delivery corpse.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54684 on: February 25, 2020, 09:06:14 pm »

Such luck! He must die.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54685 on: February 25, 2020, 09:11:50 pm »

Then definitely look him up in legends.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54686 on: February 26, 2020, 12:48:55 am »

Ghoulrooted.  Spring 252.  Osta and Dostngosp have 7 kills between the two of them, including the newly arrived gold weaver.  We haven't had any migrants in a while, and I'm wondering how many adults will be left by the time the children start growing up.  Fortunately, a performance troupe called the Patterned Oils just arrived looking for a long-term home.  There are three assorted testers and an elf, all master poets or better.  And then there's Gorzhik Brigandtorments, storm fiend dancer - potentially a very useful ally, and big enough that he should have a decent chance of surviving a feeding.  As for the others, anyone who sleeps will reduce the chances of a useful goblin getting drained.  Welcome to Ghoulrooted, poets.  Stay as long as you like.

EDIT: Make that 8.  Dostngosp drained one of the miners, bringing her kill count up to 5 and getting her a title.  She's also stressed out; I've gotten her started on combat training, hoping some sparring will cheer her up.

EDIT 2: One-year-old Ngom Demonvice just went through four victims in rapid succession.  I guess a bloodsucker builds up a lot of thirst after a year as a baby.  Ghoulrooted is now down to nine useful adults, 14 children, and a few trolls and bards.  Might need to give blood a syndrome that removes bloodsucker from deep goblins for a while to keep them from getting quite so out of hand, along with the happiness boost.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:08:15 am by Demonic Gophers »

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54687 on: February 26, 2020, 11:34:16 am »

*Scene: a knot of armed and armored dwarves are pounding on a dwarf in similiar attire. Two more are already laying in pool of their own blood. A purple-clad dwarf enters.*

- What in the seven hells is going on in here?

*The purple-clad dwarf is upset. The beating pauses for a moment, a dwarf with a fine steel sword steps forth to answer.*

- A murderer is being apprehended, mayor, sah.

- A murderer? What, who, when? First I ever hear of this.

*Steel-sword dwarf points to one of the bodies. The criminal wails.*

- This here, Mörul, went to apprehend a killer. Killer had slain a tantruming dwarf in self-defence. Mörul decided to administer a beating, but took it little too far, and killed the... Well, killer.

*The sword points at another dead dwarf.*

- Then, sah, Rith here, she's- I mean was, new. She decided that Mörul had gone far enough and decided to punish him. She administred an axe to his windpipe, she did.

*Lastly, the sword points at the dwarf amidst the ring of annoyed-looking dwarves. He whimpers a bit, nursing a broken arm.*

- So, now we come to Stodir, here, sah. He was not impressed by Rith's judgement, not at all. Carried a spanking at her, he did, sadly with his silver warhammer there. Now, we are in process of dealing with a murderer of a murderer of a mur-

*The face of the purple-clad is almost in hue with his clothing.*

- You whatnow, why... Idiots, are you going to kill each other in turn? Why?

*The steel-clad's expression is deadpan.*

- It's the dwarven law, sah.

- Is that helmet perhaps too tight, you git? And where the hell does our law state that eye for an eye is the solution?

*The steel-clad is visibly puzzled at his superior's outburst. He points at an engraving on a wall.*

- It's right there.

*On the wall is an exeptionally engraved picture of dwarves. Dwarves are dying. Dwarves are striking down dwarves. Dwarves are contemplating.*

* The purple-clad draws deep breath, and shuts his eyes. He is counting under his breath. He points at the whimpering dwarf.*

- You, there. You are no longer welcome here at Diamondspiraled, I am casting you out. Guards, deal with the outlaw.

- Yessah.

* The dwarves resume the pounding of now-outlawed dwarf. Soon after there's third dead dwarf on the floor.*

- Now, you idiots, will clean up this hallway and no more of this sort of idiocy. You there, you are now in charge of the squad- I'll send new recruits and you will train them. Congratulations, capitain of the guard. Dig into Mörul's pockets, he has the keys to your new office, dining room and bedroom.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54688 on: February 26, 2020, 12:58:12 pm »

You could dig out all the aquifer-bearing material above your rooms to protect them.

Hmm. Just dig, or does that include the floor level so I'd have to channel and build floors to replace it?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54689 on: February 27, 2020, 02:11:47 am »

I think just digging would do it, but not 100% certain on that.  You could also use up/down stairs to open the area while leaving it passable.

Ghoulrooted.  Summer 254.  I'm down to three adult goblins and 12 children.  Current kill count: Group leader Osta Carnagemenaces - 9; Battle leader Dostngosp Speechhates - 12; three-year-old child Ngom Demonvice - 10.  The poets finally applied for citizenship, so I just got some additional labor, but I don't think I have any chance of rebuilding the population without isolating the deep goblins.  They're draining people faster than the kids can grow up.  Probably learned all I can from this test fort.  The deep goblins work properly, but definitely need to be toned down somehow, or keeping them isolated will be the only way to have a growing population.  Also, I think I need to give goblins some sort of pack animals.  Are caravans needed to get additional migrant waves?

Time to switch back to an earlier test fort that I paused to try out the cave goblins.

Krekatang - Satinquest.  Winter, 250.  The Apogee of Lancers, lost kingdom of the devezik, was believed to be long dead.  But 21 people have gathered from the hidden places of the world to join the Crowded Magic, and the Apogee of Lancers may yet rise to be more powerful than ever before.  The site of Satinquest is protected on two sides by a river canyon.  The surface is fire clay and the quarry below  provides bauxite and limestone.  The current project is a grand inn, constructed of limestone blocks, which can help spread word of our return.

EDIT: Satinquest.  Spring, 251.  After a polite discussion with local rivals, Chue Toppracticed has claimed the position of prime chancellor of The Apogee of Lancers. Chue Kushiozhou has become a prime chancellor.

Further construction on the inn will have to wait until Chue has some reasonable chambers.  This will also mean reorganizing the militia a bit, since she was the militia commander.  According to the civ screen, there are now a diplomat, a general, an outpost liaison, and the noble of some settlement I can't find easily on the map.  Wonder if any of them will show up, now that we have a ruler living here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:56:01 am by Demonic Gophers »
Pages: 1 ... 3644 3645 [3646] 3647 3648 ... 3836