Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3645 3646 [3647] 3648 3649 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854185 times)

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54690 on: February 28, 2020, 08:20:32 pm »

When somethin' don't seem right...

I go through forts pretty quickly. Usually I let in too many migrants; often something just isn't going right, and I want to try another fort to fix/avoid the problem.

My fort that I just started...when I looked for my civilization on the map, nothing turned blue, but there were a bunch of dwarf-lookin' forts, so I went for it. Erm...in my SMALLER-sized world there appears to be 200 humans, 7 dwarves, and nearly 30,000 goblins. JEEPERS H. CRACKERS! I may have to figure out how to do this farming thing, because that whole minimum-population thing doesn't appear to work for me, so I'm not ruling out an invasion if the goblin allies decide peace ain't panning out.

I hope they like dwarven cooking and menacing wooden spikes.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54691 on: March 01, 2020, 05:49:18 pm »

This fort has been pretty messy so far. Megabeasts early where I couldn't do much against them. Constant sad thoughts due to raining blood. Two dwarves drowned in the "get some water" pump operation. Had the elves bring an elk man woodcrafter in a cage, that I bought and sadly it was useless, and it eventually become sad, tantrumed and caused some trouble in the tavern, and it cost me a minor loyalty cascade as in the military dwarf guests went hostile and my military had to chase them. Then when I sent him to the butcher's (which is weird considering it was a sentient, but i had the choice to), he got me some unknown frozen tissue. What.

More megabeast issues, like being blocked by just a few stone doors for years now (apparently it can't destroy a door ? and there's a masterwork door that seems to be invulnerable, no, not an artifact one).

I have also some of my military prisoner due to aggressively throwing dwarves at nearby goblins for training. It's pretty good training - you gain one level in most skills after a raid, so you can go up a few levels in a few months. Although the process would be much faster if my dwarves didn't cancel the "go on a raid" order for equipping stuff or gathering food/supplies... funnily enough, I didn't have those issues last fort in 47.02.

Also the castle that I've assaulted is only 10 goblins or so, maybe castles just give large bonuses to defenders ?

No mods apart from Modest Mod.

Dain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54692 on: March 01, 2020, 08:12:38 pm »

So that was my longest running fort and my most accomplished one. So I my target was to destroy a necromancer tower, while learning more about the game.

So my fort named Canyon rough was part of the bronze rope our government called Mountains of Strangers pretty cool huh. Expecting hell to be unleash nothing happened, weird but what ever so one of my dwarf made an artefact and was worth almost 20000, solding it for some weapon and armor, enough is enough we're going to send a offensive towards testedslaves the dwarvens necromancer tower.
about 7 attempt were made to destroy this civilization that was ruining our communication with the rest of our brother from the bronze rope, and about 10 dwarves were capture. fun fact as I was making the last attempted to destroy this monstrosity, a were beast made it's appearances, the dog killed it.

Next time... next time...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54693 on: March 02, 2020, 11:49:20 am »

More loyalty cascades (a dwarf villain marksdwarf fired a few bolts at a human caravan, triggering a loyalty cascade, me losing a fewdwarves and being forced to kill some humans. My dwarves loot the entire damn human caravan, and a diplomat left unhappy.) and more military dying to forgotten beasts. I THINK it was some forgotten beast extract because I'm not even sure how they died so far. How many deadly dust FB's I've gotten in this fort ? Two so far ? And a fire FB ? But now marksdwarves are way to buggy to be used against FB's. And every FB I've met is going to cost me a bunch of military, unless I use traps. I've already used a cave-in trap against a FB. And my two other FB's are still blocked at invulnerable doors.

The amount of Fun steadily increases. I think I'm going to consider abandoning. This place is cursed. Which is fitting, considering I've embarked on an evil biome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54694 on: March 02, 2020, 05:20:24 pm »

I got a bull in my latest migrant wave. He's a mechanic. Named Ineth Brassplait. This is a male cow we're talking about. A bull. He also possesses the secrets of the metal warrior.

I'm guessing this is a result of my deity curse that turns people into an animal permanently. I hope. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this guy. Better than a vampire?

He has a pet nanny goat, though. And the highest social skills of anyone in the fort. Bull mayor? Bull broker? Obviously he can't gain any more skills.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54695 on: March 02, 2020, 05:46:02 pm »

He has a pet nanny goat, though. And the highest social skills of anyone in the fort. Bull mayor? Bull broker? Obviously he can't gain any more skills.

Militia captain if he can wear armor.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54696 on: March 02, 2020, 06:08:39 pm »

I got a bull in my latest migrant wave. He's a mechanic. Named Ineth Brassplait. This is a male cow we're talking about. A bull. He also possesses the secrets of the metal warrior.

I'm guessing this is a result of my deity curse that turns people into an animal permanently. I hope. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this guy. Better than a vampire?

The real question is, can he eat?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54697 on: March 02, 2020, 07:28:39 pm »

You need to monitor every bit of this bull's life... Since he joined your fort, his countdown-to-the-arrival-of-spring may have begun.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54698 on: March 02, 2020, 08:47:44 pm »

For some reason I read FB as Facebook, until I read the entire post

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54699 on: March 02, 2020, 11:01:53 pm »

It's all my mod's fault it turns out.

So the bull mechanic, her name is Ineth, did get elected mayor. And then started making mandates. But because her unit screen only shows that she's a bull and she's muscular, I have no idea what she wants. Not helpful, bull lady.

So it turns out Ineth is married, and her husband is in the fort, another metal warrior/summoner. His name is Tosid, and according to his relationships screen, Ineth is his wife. Ineth was a woman apparently.

In fact, legends mode supports this, referring to Ineth in all contexts as a female dwarf. She was born in 40, became a recordkeeper in the Guild of Cremating, a position she lost and reacquired many times throughout the years, embezzling funds all the way to pay off a gambling debt she acquired in 61, became obsessed with her mortality in 80 and became a metal warrior in 84 at the age of 44. Still pretty young for a dwarf. She was cursed to assume the form of an animal in 113, and became Tosid's apprentice at first in 200 after being denied twice, and only became his lover and married him in 246. She'd had like a dozen or more lovers and half a dozen marriages beforehand, only one of which started before she had been cursed.

People just keep falling in love with this weird bull that claims through charades or something to be a woman and to have made various independent scholarly discoveries including why wheel and axle construction is effective.

I made Tosid mayor. Tosid has virtually no social skills. But at least he can tell me what he's mandating.

Since the permanent animal curse interaction is set up to be random and apparently doesn't carry that information during worldgen/between-games, I bet if I reload the fortress she'll assume the form of some other animal. Maybe one that has hands and can talk. Maybe the curse should only turn people into critters that can talk and have hands so this doesnt happen in the future. Or maybe it turns you into a different animal every full moon, like some sort of shitty random shapeshifting.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54700 on: March 02, 2020, 11:17:21 pm »

Random shapeshifting actually sounds cool

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54701 on: March 03, 2020, 06:55:27 am »

A bull marrying a human, eh ? Well it's not quite the reverse Pasiphae I first thought of, but will it make minotaur babies ?

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54702 on: March 03, 2020, 07:13:57 am »

All of the sudden I'm getting mobbed by requests for entertainers to live in my forts. I unwittingly let one get so out of hand that my ~20-dwarf fort couldn't feed people and they were killing my FPS. I started a new fort, accepted one and only one entertainer -- she seemed nice -- and everybody wants to come to my place to party.

Are they historical figures, btw? Limiting historical-figure status would be a good worldgen option because I need to be stingy with my processing power.

Not a super-exciting comment, but hey, I have to procrastinate for a few minutes somehow =D

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54703 on: March 03, 2020, 07:26:08 am »

Most, if not all, tavern-goers are historical figures.

I personally put on the visitor cap because it doesn't take long for a tavern to get to about 50 people who contribute little and kill FPS.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54704 on: March 03, 2020, 03:53:27 pm »

Most, if not all, tavern-goers are historical figures.
Bastards.

Is it considered unsporting to let my tavern do double duty as an atom smasher?
Pages: 1 ... 3645 3646 [3647] 3648 3649 ... 3836