Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3652 3653 [3654] 3655 3656 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789437 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54795 on: March 24, 2020, 08:54:14 pm »

Travelling groups disappear instantly (might stay for a second to harass wildlife if they see them).

I also just had my first attack on this fort. It was also disappointing. 5 goblins and a human. One goblin seemingly died of old age instantly (no combat report, just fell over dead.) The human and a goblin fell in cage traps and the remaining group fled. Pretty disappointing. I spent more time getting my murder hallway ready and locking the fort down, than the actual seige lasted...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54796 on: March 24, 2020, 09:15:15 pm »

But... goblins can't die of old age...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54797 on: March 24, 2020, 09:18:59 pm »

Many people mod that out in the belief that it'll stop them taking over the world. Of course, you need a midgit and a ring to really get that done.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54798 on: March 24, 2020, 09:23:14 pm »

Why would you want to stop them from taking over the world, though? More cattle for the axe-blade.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54799 on: March 24, 2020, 09:30:28 pm »

Why would you want to stop them from taking over the world, though? More cattle for the axe-blade.
Well, it might also reduce populations at their Dark Fortresses, which is handy for Adventurer. 1000 goblins to kill is just as fun as 10,000 but at several times the frame-rate.

I don't do it myself, I have a race of minotaurs that manage to become the dominant race in most worlds despite dying of old-age by 25, so not too convinced of it's effectiveness.

They're good at stopping goblins from taking over the world too.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54800 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:02 pm »

I didn't even think of this. God. Maybe it was wounded when it arrived? There's no blood anywhere...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54801 on: March 24, 2020, 09:45:57 pm »

I didn't even think of this. God. Maybe it was wounded when it arrived? There's no blood anywhere...
Migrants have been known to arrive without important parts, such as their heads, and die immediately. This might be like that. Check out Legends if you get a chance, see if he was mortally wounded years earlier and just never noticed.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54802 on: March 24, 2020, 09:49:51 pm »

This fort has had some mysteries already - two dwarves were in the military, but not in it, and couldn't be moved out of their squad (but could take other slots). Merchants requested from other town arrive naked, without labors, and cannot be drafted into the military. Known bugs, but plentiful here.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54803 on: March 25, 2020, 06:55:19 am »

Alright, first decently sized attack now.

Except it was elves. I first saw the whole thing and it was only war cougars and war giant hamsters (I suppose a certain famous CG ranger is helping them). I was not sure if some more were sneaking around, and for sure, the ambush was more war animals and a small contigent of elf warriors. Thirty hostiles or so.

I sent my small squad of spearmasters and gave them a sound trashing. The only wound was one of my dudes leaping into the moat and taking a 3 z-level fall - I assume it dodged an arrow or something ? Though he doesn't seem badly wounded, but it certainly slowed him down.

Most of them fled after my two or three soldiers that were actually in the fight killed a bunch of cougars and one elf.

So yeah, the valor you'd expect coming from such an effete race. Give me a real fight ! Armok requires blood !

Now I have to clean up. I should make a system for getting rid of waste...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54804 on: March 25, 2020, 05:43:24 pm »

Doing a bunch of tests. Seeing the effects of underground constructed floors on Adventurer vision, whether or not Fortress mode names transition to Adventurer mode, what mechanisms and systems can be kept running in Adventurer mode in an abandoned Fort, etc.

Is there a good way to prevent item scatter using DFhack that isn’t the lair method? I’ve become increasingly curious about this and I swear I saw someone say that there was a DFhack script for it.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54805 on: March 27, 2020, 04:49:48 am »

What was supposed to be a cozy testing of reactions with invaders disabled ended up as unexpected slasher movie. All of sudden my herd of pigs scattered in all directions and the dogs charged at a big red "H". Soldier of Hasthur, "wild animal" supposedly. It brutalized one dog and a pig and then fled as militia assembled, it ran around the map at insane speed, assaulting random elven book-fu masters; yet avoiding the actually competent and armed-to-the-teeth human adventurers. I've been finally able to catch the monster in a small ravine between the hills - it charged forward, trying to break through my militia line and insta-killed one peasant by smacking a horn through his head, broke another one's leg, but the rest have quickly piled up and chopped it into pieces.

Anyway, one of the reactions ended up not working so whatever.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54806 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:56 am »

I set up a jail in the bar, so the prisoners can socialize and start a fist fight if they feel like it. It is funny to see them begin to tell a story right after beating up some human visitors.
Maybe I should move the jail into the sheriff's bedroom so they can kill each other have a talk.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54807 on: March 29, 2020, 10:32:44 pm »

Put the mayor's office and a shrine in the bar, so they can attend meetings between performances/socializing/praying. Who knows, maybe if you stack enough things for them to do, someone might recover from the usually-fatal perpetual downward spiral. Maybe make sure the drink and prepared meal stockpiles and a bed are in reach from their chain. In the bar-shrine-office
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54808 on: March 29, 2020, 10:39:56 pm »

After a particulalry sloppy raid, I just locked two prisoners in their cells for good. They weren't generating any good thoughts before they started picking fights, so I figured they were lost causes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54809 on: March 30, 2020, 08:08:44 am »

Started a new fort. Excellent site, has iron, coal, copper, silver, excessive trees, and according to the site preview, flux below. What it did't tell me was the light aquifer(a known bug). Took half the year to punch through and seal it off so it stopped leaking. The bottleneck was getting the expedition leader to make stone blocks quickly enough.

First dwarven caravan, and at the bottom of the trade goods list, I see a scroll:

The Lever: A Quandary(copy). This is a draltha parchment scroll. The rollers are made from garnierite. Written on the item is a manual entitled The Lever: A Quandary, authored by Zuglar Nutbolt. It concerns the construction and use of a lever. The writing has a hint of viciousness to it. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

I.e., it's the DF player's guide to use a lever to kill stuff.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3652 3653 [3654] 3655 3656 ... 3835