Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3657 3658 [3659] 3660 3661 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853660 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54870 on: April 13, 2020, 07:44:31 am »

@Shimzoo: You can make copy of the save, retire fort, and look at fort in legends - or run view-allegiance on siege leader as I do.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54871 on: April 13, 2020, 10:00:38 am »

My current fortress has been getting invaded by a marauding band of necromancer experiments. Since the only ores I have access to are sphalerite and galena, meaning I cannot make armor, I was forced to wait out the first few sieges while I started thinking up trap ideas.

The trouble is, the sieges last so long that the failed experiments started reproducing. And then their offspring started reproducing. Anything born on the map is listed as "Friendly" and won't leave when the siege ends. So now I've got an infestation of curly-haired, stinger-tailed, twisted-trunked, formerly-dwarven snake things and it is steadily growing out of control.

Since I set the population cap to 50 for this fort, and since my military kind of stinks, I didn't want to resort to combat if I didn't have to. The problem is, the experiments are congregating right up against the edge of the map, which limits my building options.

What I settled on was building a battery of ballistae aimed towards the herd, which works pretty well despite only using wooden arrows. And it turns out these things are butcherable! So now I've got a decent source of low-value meat and leather!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54872 on: April 13, 2020, 12:23:52 pm »

Galena? You can make some fine silver weapons. Think corridors of giant silver spiked crusing balls

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54873 on: April 13, 2020, 01:31:36 pm »

Oh, I know. I've got them outfitted with silver warhammers now, and I buy armor from the merchants at every opportunity. But necromancer experiments are [TRAPAVOID], so weapon traps aren't an option.

My fortress is built right at the bottom of a canyon at a major fork in the river, which gives me access to a lot of power from water wheels, so I'm giving minecarts a try. A lead minecart filled to the brim with lead bars packs quite a punch when the rollers launch it at the highest speed setting. I have green glass spikes hooked up to a lever as well. Easier to mass produce than silver, and honestly it probably makes a better piercing weapon. I've also worked out a pit/drowning trap, since experiments can't swim at all in 0.47.04. I'm pretty sure that when Toady removed forgotten beast traits from necromancer experiments, he didn't replace [SWIMS_INNATE] with [SWIMS_LEARNED].

Still working out all the kinks, but I've managed to break one siege.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54874 on: April 13, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »

A lead minecart railway cannon sounds dorfy as heck. Make sure to shout FIRE THE GRAPESHOT everytime ye be givin the undead scallywags a taste O' ye foul galena

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54875 on: April 13, 2020, 08:28:40 pm »

It's not so much blasting them with buckshot. More like running them over with an SUV. Repeatedly. Although now that you mention it, I do like the idea of storm of glass flechettes flying through the air, slicing them to shreds... I may just have to work something out.

But all this talk of minecarts and canyons has made me realize something I absolutely must do:

Before this fortress falls, a dwarf will jump a minecart across the canyon, Evel Knievel style.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54876 on: April 13, 2020, 08:42:40 pm »

But all this talk of minecarts and canyons has made me realize something I absolutely must do:

Before this fortress falls, a dwarf will jump a minecart across the canyon, Evel Knievel style.

Oooo, oooo, get a video of this for us if you can!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54877 on: April 13, 2020, 08:48:39 pm »

Yeah you can't say something like that and not get us a vid.

Set it to ACDC, please.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54878 on: April 13, 2020, 08:54:12 pm »

Set it to ACDC, please.

And give Urist a fitting nickname too!
And maybe load the minecart with... a shrubbery! ... never mind that part.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54879 on: April 14, 2020, 09:43:07 am »

Set it to ACDC, please.

And give Urist a fitting nickname too!
And maybe load the minecart with... a shrubbery! ... never mind that part.

Well, I can't say I know much about making videos, but I'll see what I can do. It'll be a while before I can get it fully set up anyway.

ACDC would be good, but I'm thinkin' Crazy Train.

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54880 on: April 14, 2020, 11:04:54 am »

Sent out a couple of squads to recover books from a fallen fortress. One of said squads included a pair of intelligent undead. The moment the squads get back, I get the alert that someone has been found dead contorted in fear.

The intelligent undead became ghosts as soon as they came back on the map. Obviously I had to memorialize the murderous one, but the other one was only a forlorn haunt. On top of that, she's the sheriff. I decided she can stick around.

I've had the same issue in spades. Really a bummer because my military is 99% intelligent undead, so I basically can't raid.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54881 on: April 14, 2020, 11:13:21 am »

Sent out a couple of squads to recover books from a fallen fortress. One of said squads included a pair of intelligent undead. The moment the squads get back, I get the alert that someone has been found dead contorted in fear.

The intelligent undead became ghosts as soon as they came back on the map. Obviously I had to memorialize the murderous one, but the other one was only a forlorn haunt. On top of that, she's the sheriff. I decided she can stick around.

because my military is 99% intelligent undead

Well there's your problem you monster

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54882 on: April 15, 2020, 10:12:52 am »

Speaking of intelligent undead, I just got hit by a full-scale undead siege. My minecart trap only managed to take out one of them before it derailed. I toggled some drawbridges to keep the rest out so I could reset the cart, but there was one intelligent one left in the area I needed to access. So I decided to unlock the doors and let it blunder into the cage traps at the end of the trap hall.

This was a mistake.

Somehow, it just ignored the cage trap. I double checked, the trap was loaded. But it just waltzed right past it. So I figured, alright it's just one revenant. I've got three squads. What they lack in skill, they can make up for in numbers.

They could not.

It was a massacre. Damned thing was crushing dwarves left and right with just a copper mace, all the while launching icicles at the errant stray cat or chicken. The dwarves couldn't lay a finger on it.

Now, this fortress was never in any danger of crumbling per se; I've got a were-tortoise Cask-of-Amontillado'd down in the living quarters. But so help me, if that thing had gotten into my unicorn ranch... I don't know what I'd do. Luckily (insofar as anything in this situation can be considered 'lucky'), the cage traps in the entrance to the unicorn ranch did work. So the immediate threat has passed.

But now the number of dead to be buried outnumber the living left to bury them by 2:1. The ghost of a child who went berserk when the siege interrupted her artifact has already decapitated a dwarf. I just hope the dwarves can retain their sanity long enough to bury them.

So, yeah. Needless to say, this is going to put the minecart canyon jump project on hold for a bit.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54883 on: April 15, 2020, 08:08:57 pm »

After several weeks of modding, and almost an hour of trying to generate the perfect world, I'm finally ready to start some new forts.
I really like the world I got, it's got a huge good ocean in the south, a very big evil tundra in the north, and in the northwest corner there is a big good lake in a valley surrounded by mountains. Also the small island in the south is almost like a miniature version of the main continent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the tileset is georgous. name?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54884 on: April 15, 2020, 11:27:25 pm »

Monkey stole my minecart. :D

I don't usually play with minecarts, but with a nice coastal start I could resist some automated dumping into the ocean of everything dorfs don't want to see.

It'll have an underground start and be closed to the outside world eventually, but in the meantime, dam monkeys are interrupting my test line. Ha ha.
Pages: 1 ... 3657 3658 [3659] 3660 3661 ... 3836