Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3659 3660 [3661] 3662 3663 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788934 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54900 on: April 20, 2020, 12:37:46 am »

I've blown up a couple workers that way, carving pumpstacks... is a spectacular demise. A weaponized version would be all kinds of wonderful.

The victim falls into magma
and explodes
and the bits catch fire and melt

First dorf I lost that way, all they ever found was a severed arm 5 z-levels up... the others didn't leave so much as a toe. Was a marvellous ineptitude.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54901 on: April 20, 2020, 02:11:57 am »

Progress! Additional windmills have been constructed and the minecart shotgun is online and ready for loading.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've blown up a couple workers that way, carving pumpstacks... is a spectacular demise. A weaponized version would be all kinds of wonderful.
First dorf I lost that way, all they ever found was a severed arm 5 z-levels up... the others didn't leave so much as a toe. Was a marvellous ineptitude.
Speaking of ineptitude...

Expanding and troubleshooting the wind farm design resulted in a little accident but what's a few mangled limbs in the face of progress?
It works now so we'll just rebuild the broken windmill and secure them all against infiltration.

Maybe I should load the minecarts with blocks? They seem effective.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:13:31 am by Fire and Glory »

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54902 on: April 20, 2020, 02:45:07 am »

in a previous fort, i had a vertical pit clear from the surface to the magma sea, with a single-tile-wide spiral ramp descending around it down to a decoy fort entrance way below.  the ramp was littered with weapon traps, each loaded with a single low quality green glass spiked ball, iirc?  (the purpose was solely to make enemies dodge; hitting them and causing wear on the trap components, or killing them on the spot and jamming the trap, would've been counterproductive)

when invasions arrived, the main gates would be closed and the decoy entrance opened, and entire armies would dodge gloriously down to the magma sea

of course, trapavoid creatures would just walk down the ramp without drama... but now i'm thinking, if there were some minecarts racing down that spiral ramp instead of the weapon traps, then it would be effective against trapavoid visitors too...

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54903 on: April 20, 2020, 02:48:38 am »

Twistroughness has recently been besieged by Goblins and ambushed by Elves.

The Goblins managed to arrive when almost everyone was Inside, and before We had finished work on a suitable Guest Chamber.  Once We had finished their Chamber, Our biggest Annoyance was coaxing them Inside.  We only lost the two Dwarfs who were Outside at the Time.

The Elves turned up when We had sent many of Our Dwarfs Outside, and were spotted when they were much closer to Our Main Gate.  One even slipped inside the Gate before it closed.  This would have been somewhat problematic, since We lack an armored Military, had the unfortunate Creature known anything about how to use a Spear.  We sent Our Dwarfs to deal with him, and when We reviewed the Combat Logs We became surprised at thoroughly they had destroyed him.

We then had the Fun of watch Elves take impromptu swimming lessons.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54904 on: April 20, 2020, 11:07:58 am »

I retired my adventurer Ducim and started a fortress, planning on making my adventurer part of the fortress guard on her next adventure.

I was pleasantly surprised that she joined with migrants.

I was even more pleasantly surprised to see her preferences. I could finally see what my adventurer wanted to eat and drink, something not possible in previous versions!

Now my adventurer is enjoying to learn a bit about animal training in the ranger guild hall <3

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54905 on: April 20, 2020, 01:05:50 pm »

One of my more stressed dwarves started a fist fight with a war elephant.  The stoic beast just stood there and took the beating without retaliation. 

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54906 on: April 21, 2020, 01:26:47 pm »

I'm regaining ground against the undead occupation of Saltcanyon. I managed to get all the corpses out of the river (well, all the living corpses anyway) by draining it into the caverns. Which was a pain, because it's actually 2 rivers. Water flows on from the north and west, but only flows off in the east.

The dwarves are slowly but surely building a ceiling over the section of the fortress within the canyon itself. I thought I had gotten them enough sunlight to avoid cave adaptation, but the trail of green coating my nice kimberlite blue entry road says otherwise.

I've been under siege by precisely 3 necromancer experiment invaders for... maybe a year? I decided it's not even worth it to try and kill them. The zombies on the surface outnumber them by a lot, never leave, and can't have their pathing manipulated, which makes them the bigger concern.

I'm keeping the magma option as a last resort. I don't have enough dwarves to pump magma that far manually and machine power is risky. If lava flows into the river, the waterwheels will lose power. I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to set up a minecart shotgun that fires out onto the surface without ever actually letting the dwarves access the surface to build anything.

I managed to get a Forgotten Beast (a shelled humanoid made of coral) to the surface, where it successfully crushed a single intelligent undead before the swarm of failed Experiments of Curo chipped it to pieces. Well, progress is progress I suppose.

I broke out the walled-in weretortoise and sent her out through the caverns to demand tribute from various civilizations. She didn't succeed, nor did I expect her to. All I cared about was making contact. If they send caravans, that means caravan guards, who may be able to at least kill the various undead arms and heads crawling around. I even had her demand tribute from the goblin capital a full 16 days' travel away. Because at this point, goblin sieges would honestly be an improvement.

I was going to send her out to explore some abandoned towers in hopes of finding a necromancy book, but she decided she needed to pick up equipment, wandered a bit too close to an enormous zombie blob and got herself killed. It's a shame I can't just have the dwarves read that native gold slab I... acquired from a visiting olm man necromancer a few years back.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:29:42 pm by Vicious_Unicycle »

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54907 on: April 22, 2020, 01:24:36 am »

Bravo!  Bravo!

It is good to hear of your Success in such matters.

Meanwhile, We at Twistroughness have breached all three of the cavern layers - which do not connect on this map - and due to a minor oversight We had a small Incursion of two Troglodytes.  Said Troglodytes walked all the way to Our top Floor before being spotted and dog-piled by six to ten adult Dwarfs, two Children, a visiting Monster Slayer, and a Dog.

It should be noted that only one Dwarf and the Monster Slayer were even armed, and the Dwarf was not armored.

By the Time We were notified, two Dwarfs were seeking Medical Attention and both Troglodytes were dead.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54908 on: April 23, 2020, 08:15:52 pm »

Got a new fort going, it's attracting dozens of Monster hunters most of which are turned away. My best one is a Lasher named Monom who arrived carrying an artifact mace and an artifact steel battle axe with decent experience and a fair number of kills under his belt.

He lasted three years before getting in an epic tussle with a troll. They danced around each other him dealing several minor blows with his artifacts before the troll got in a lucky kick to the head snapping Monom's neck. The troll then proceeded to kick and gore and beat Monom with his own steel gauntlet for thirteen pages of combat logs before finally passing out from exhaustion. This was obviously a clever ploy by Monom for when the troll fell Monom bit it's head and snapped the troll's neck with a vicious shake. He then mauled the beast until he also passed out from exhaustion. Found their bodies laying side by side in the cavern. The troll will be memorialized next to Monom's tomb. His artifact weapons will be wielded in the continuing defense of our fortress.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54909 on: April 24, 2020, 03:55:17 pm »

Our Carpenter was recently possessed, which We took little notice of after ascertaining whether she was likely to demand Items We didn't have.

As Our previous Fortresses had been marked by primarily decorative Artifacts, We did not expect very much.  We were therefore surprised by what she made:

It was then carried off to the Stockpile and put to Use, which We suppose is a good Thing.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54910 on: April 24, 2020, 04:09:29 pm »

Our Carpenter was recently possessed, which We took little notice of after ascertaining whether she was likely to demand Items We didn't have.

As Our previous Fortresses had been marked by primarily decorative Artifacts, We did not expect very much.  We were therefore surprised by what she made:

It was then carried off to the Stockpile and put to Use, which We suppose is a good Thing.

You should store only other artifacts in it

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54911 on: April 24, 2020, 04:33:07 pm »

You should store only other artifacts in it

The Fortress is currently under a Year old., so We sadly do not have any other Artifacts in Whispersorb.

We do plan to make an Artifact-only Stockpile, so your Suggestion will hopefully come to pass.

tehbrandon

• Bay Watcher
  • The worst fuckups are the best successes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54912 on: April 24, 2020, 07:11:27 pm »

Discovered caves recently, been having quite a few monster slayers show up to take care of things down there. They're...not very good at their job, but I just let them explore for me and occasionally soften up some of the monsters. One of these was a giant cave spider, and to quote the wiki:

"They are the most dangerous creature in the caverns, excluding some forgotten beasts, as they feel no pain, cannot be stunned, can poison creatures and have the ability to shoot webbing to ensnare their prey, with a range of 5 squares."

I didn't realize just how dangerous this thing was other than it only had some light injuries from murdering two speardwarf and axedwarf monster slayers. So naturally I sent my axedwarf/speardwarf army to kill it. The fight lasted, from my POV, all of ten seconds.

I'll add the combat log if it's still there, just have to find it!

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54913 on: April 25, 2020, 11:33:40 am »

"[Bembul Whisperfountains, Dancer] is content after eating a pretty decent meal.  He is content after dining in a fantastic dining room.  Within the last season he didn't feel anything after seeing an alligator's dead body".

Basically, one of my tamed alligators reverted to a wild state, and a spear dwarf chased it into my didning room and stabbed it to death.  Then one of my other dwarfs just wandered in and sat down next to the dead alligator to eat his dinner like it was nothing.

Also, more significantly:

My vampire is dead.  (He created an artefact platinum coffin and had good stats, so I decided to keep him alive, lock him in his own tomb, equip him with decent armour, and then get him to dig down to and explore the caverns).  I accidently let him out of his tomb, and he drained three dwarves before I was able to get him back in, so I turned him tomb into a jail and chained him up there.  But for some reason he decided to take off all his clothes and armour and drop his weapons.  So when a forgotton beast (a giant therapod with no eyelids and two stinging tails) appeared in the caverns and made straight for him, it killed him before I could get my militia there to help him (stung him in the head so hard that his head flew off). 

And in true Dwarf Fortress style, once I'd killed the beast, all my dwarves decided that the most important thing was to run down into the cavers to collect all the durians the forgotten beast had killed on its way up.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54914 on: April 25, 2020, 01:33:49 pm »

Well, he made a artifact *coffin*, so he should get extra points for his sense of irony
Pages: 1 ... 3659 3660 [3661] 3662 3663 ... 3835