Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3663 3664 [3665] 3666 3667 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864540 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54960 on: May 07, 2020, 07:43:09 am »

Or a spy or plotter.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54961 on: May 07, 2020, 09:25:43 am »

Another trivial thing: the message of the outpost liason "was found dead" was displayed despite none of my dwarves witnessed the event. My door was locked and only things outside were wild animals and goblins.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54962 on: May 07, 2020, 11:37:51 am »

Another trivial thing: the message of the outpost liason "was found dead" was displayed despite none of my dwarves witnessed the event. My door was locked and only things outside were wild animals and goblins.

Livestock can also witness events and discover hidden creatures.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54963 on: May 07, 2020, 06:50:44 pm »

There's no livestocks. I suspect visitors, but I'm not sure if they share visions with the dorfs.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54964 on: May 08, 2020, 04:11:28 am »

I have a feathered Tick with poison vapors and an extract, meandering to and from, in between cavern level 2, where it arrived at, and cavern level 1. I've dorfs all coralled in a safety burrow. All cavern travel blocked off. Sent them back to doing outside the safety burrow things. Its been zigzagging inbetween c1 and c2 caverns, for 2 seasons.  Only have 16 dorfs, no migrants, oops I sent army to attack the mtnhome tower, for its artifacts, has a sword that looked nice. Well, to bring this story to a happy close, another Forgotten Beast from(c2 same break on cavern edge, aswell) shows up. This, a one eyed Toad that breathes fire is unblemished. It too, wanders into maze between c1 an c2, where feathered Tick is at. Tick is not fresh, his vapors dinged up some of his own many legs, when it cleared away the Crundles, down there.

They meet in a 1x30something corridor, and battle for 40+ pages of skirmish logs. Its a doozie, recorded it in 5 parts. Toad burnt Ticks shell off twice, FBs regen fast. His flaming slowed down around pages 30. Ticks oozing poison was all over the Toad, but never got in his one eye socket. Toads trunk was knocked off. Tick was down to 1 leg. How it kept vaping Ill never know, it had a head and neck and a hurt leg, others were all gone. It kept on vaping. Toad had its heart, head and 1 heathy leg left. Its lung, showed up a brown color. Ticks shell was regenerating for third time, when Toad got a lucky kick in on Tick's head bruising the brain, on page 47 of skirmish logs.

I knew all along the Toad would win. It swaggered onto map with 4 names. Tick had just 2 names. Those extra names are hard to earn. Felt awful openning bridge and sending the guards down to end it, after that spectacular fight.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54965 on: May 08, 2020, 12:45:35 pm »

We recently had some Good Fortune.

For some Context, We have set up a self-imposed Challenge Fortress with said Challenge being that once the Fortress has twenty Dwarfs there must be no more Migrants.  When We arrived at the Site, We took a look at the local Ores and found that there was no Iron Ore.

Fortunately, when the first Caravan arrived one of the Guards was a Marksdwarf.  Even more fortuitously, a Giant Mantis chose to fly over the Trade Depot for a time.

The Marksdwarf was carrying Steel Bolts, and missed the Beast twenty-seven Times.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54966 on: May 09, 2020, 05:20:00 pm »

Anyone know if my "Donation Center" will work if it's on a brook?

Or do I have to channel it out to make it work?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54967 on: May 09, 2020, 05:46:40 pm »

Do you mean some sort of drowning chamber you can drain to collect your victims' armor?  I'm not sure I understand what you have in mind there.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54968 on: May 09, 2020, 06:06:05 pm »

Do you mean some sort of drowning chamber you can drain to collect your victims' armor?  I'm not sure I understand what you have in mind there.

A "Donation Center" AKA "Waterfall" is a mechanism by which merchants "Donate" goods to your fort.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54969 on: May 09, 2020, 07:22:39 pm »

Yeah it seems like they wouldn't enter the water and thus wouldn't get pushed to their doom like that.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54970 on: May 10, 2020, 07:24:01 am »

If it did work though, I would expect unhappy merchants to send siege parties in following years rather than more "offerings"

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54971 on: May 10, 2020, 10:45:38 am »

Craft Riddle...is...Craft Riddle.  Drunk, depressed, half-naked Dwarfs living in a food forest on an island and hating every second of it. 

I let the WereLizard out of her room, when she turned back into a Dwarf, to let her walk about while I cleaned out the room, rebuilt the door, and wondered how many criminals I should place in it?  At the time the jail only had three prisoners (one of which was beating up another) so I decided to let them live.  After the WereLizard socialized with a child some I put her back in, locked the door, and put up a wall.

One of the Wrestlers were in training when she threw a tantrum.  Sadly for her the other "Wrestlers" were members of the City Guard or the ONE Squad that are my professionals.  In other words when somebody wasn't using her for target practice with a crossbow somebody was stabbing her with a copper spear.

Luckily we have plenty of wooden caskets and her corpse was quickly placed into one.

AND we have a migrant wave.  Haven't even processed it yet.  Plan to do that in my next recording.

Oh...the life of a frontier town.  Punching pigs, enjoying Plum wine, and getting rained on all the time.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54972 on: May 10, 2020, 01:30:44 pm »

A wereape attacked my fortress named Apegate and infected someone... I have a choice to make, but I don't know if I have the strength to follow through.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54973 on: May 10, 2020, 03:17:04 pm »

I have just genned a (heavily modded) world, and managed to generate it all the way to 1050.

I managed to end up with a world with only 3 surviving dwarfs. (some races are doing even worse than that). I can actually still embark with a dwarven fortress as the civilisation is apparently still alive. Guess I am going to change the number of starting dwarves to three, with no migrants, and see how long I will last.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54974 on: May 10, 2020, 03:18:16 pm »

With any luck, you might have plenty of visitors to help out! Or they might just guzzle down your booze.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 3663 3664 [3665] 3666 3667 ... 3836