Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3664 3665 [3666] 3667 3668 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863199 times)

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54975 on: May 10, 2020, 09:05:36 pm »

I just noticed I've got a Monster Slayer who is using an artifact large serrated iron disk to saw trogs to death. Their backup weapon is a book about a forest retreat.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #54976 on: May 10, 2020, 09:23:03 pm »

That's great. My best monster slayer was a dwarf lady who went around completely topless, wearing a helmet made of cloth (don't know how/why), and beating crundles with her crossbow until she became a Competent Hammerdwarf. Until she died, predictably, to a blind cave ogre.

I also had two human monster slayers who were actually a young married couple - a spearman and a bowlady. They arrived separately, though: I wonder if there was an awkward moment when they spotted each other, did a double take, and said at the same time: "What are you doing here?"
(Sadly the bowlady died, also probably to a blind cave ogre - we had quite a few in those days...)

I know the monster slayers are (worse than) useless, but I can't help but like them: they're so fun to watch!
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54977 on: May 10, 2020, 09:39:30 pm »

That's great. My best monster slayer was a dwarf lady who went around completely topless, wearing a helmet made of cloth (don't know how/why), and beating crundles with her crossbow until she became a Competent Hammerdwarf. Until she died, predictably, to a blind cave ogre.

I also had two human monster slayers who were actually a young married couple - a spearman and a bowlady. They arrived separately, though: I wonder if there was an awkward moment when they spotted each other, did a double take, and said at the same time: "What are you doing here?"
(Sadly the bowlady died, also probably to a blind cave ogre - we had quite a few in those days...)

I know the monster slayers are (worse than) useless, but I can't help but like them: they're so fun to watch!

Annnd she's dead. Killed by a Giant Cave Toad. Oh well, a new book for the library and a new weapon for a fancy trap somewhere. Shame, a dwarf taking on monsters with a giant sawblade was metal af.

I once had a monster slayer that survived thirty years, thirty years of actually doing their job and slaughtering monsters. Thousands of kills, legendary stats. His clothes long since rotted away with nothing left but armored gauntlets boots and a helmet. Took on a weremammoth and won without getting bit. He was the meat industry for the entire fort of 200. Didn't even die, still sitting on an old version save somewhere, probably still somehow killing crundles.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54978 on: May 10, 2020, 11:20:29 pm »

I wish visitors would clothe themselves as well,they already eat our food and drink our booze. Maybe they'll buy some when the economy's implemented.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54979 on: May 10, 2020, 11:35:47 pm »

I wish visitors would clothe themselves as well,they already eat our food and drink our booze. Maybe they'll buy some when the economy's implemented.
Pretty sure they don't eat. The only thing they can do is drink booze right now. There's a lot more they could do, like using the hospital would be nice or the butcher's (for beast hunters). Will hopefully get looked at one day.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54980 on: May 11, 2020, 12:07:01 am »

A FB dropped into my shower/sprinkle room and proceeded to tavern. It fell into sprinkle room through a caverntree root hole, patched it up, thought I was barricaded, guessed wrong. Unfortunately for the monster guy in tavern, he failed to solo the FB. But his death alerted me and saved the important dorf's lives. Only found treeroot hole by warching the next FB venture though cavern 2, on Follow.

Gave up, getting tired of the 12 dorfs and site and made a new one. Not gonna try realtime fix to temple god realignments, that broke my game immersion. Prophets keep coming for old place.

New embark, is going to have a new world.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54981 on: May 11, 2020, 02:31:52 am »

I have just genned a (heavily modded) world, and managed to generate it all the way to 1050.

I managed to end up with a world with only 3 surviving dwarfs. (some races are doing even worse than that). I can actually still embark with a dwarven fortress as the civilisation is apparently still alive. Guess I am going to change the number of starting dwarves to three, with no migrants, and see how long I will last.
If the new update hasn't changed everything, the three you gen for your starting group will not be the three survivors. They're free dwarves added to the global population. IIRC the first migrant wave or two is also hard-coded, and will also be generated from nothing if appropriate dwarves are not available in the global population.

The three survivors may (or may not) come to your fort as immigrants at some point. You should end up with a King very quickly, so be ready.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54982 on: May 11, 2020, 06:24:57 am »

I have just genned a (heavily modded) world, and managed to generate it all the way to 1050.

I managed to end up with a world with only 3 surviving dwarfs. (some races are doing even worse than that). I can actually still embark with a dwarven fortress as the civilisation is apparently still alive. Guess I am going to change the number of starting dwarves to three, with no migrants, and see how long I will last.
If the new update hasn't changed everything, the three you gen for your starting group will not be the three survivors. They're free dwarves added to the global population. IIRC the first migrant wave or two is also hard-coded, and will also be generated from nothing if appropriate dwarves are not available in the global population.

The three survivors may (or may not) come to your fort as immigrants at some point. You should end up with a King very quickly, so be ready.

I know the first three will be free, and not the surviving dwarves, but it will have to do, and will be sufficient for roleplaying purposes. I highly suspect that the actual surviving three dwarves in the world are necromancers unaligned to my civilisation, as the last dwarven fortress was destroyed by goblins 930 years ago. Going through the world_sites_and_pops.txt file the only site alligned to my fortress is an completely uninhabited goblin pit, that is likely why I am still able to embark. 

It turns out that getting three dwarves as a starting party is quite difficult as well, as a minimum of seven is hardcoded. Read something about hacking the .exe file and might try that, if unsuccesful I'll have to settle for an embark of seven and making four of them dissapear on embark...

About the migrants: I think I have played recent games where I never got the first two waves if I set my init file correctly, so I think guaranteed migrants are no longer an issue. We'll see.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54983 on: May 11, 2020, 10:30:40 am »

Wow, the game doesn't go easy on this old vet.  Not only did I have to deal with a 4 level (light) aquifer that wasn't announced on embark...
The first migrant wave arrived.... 8 dwarves... OF WHOM 3 ARE NECROMANCERS.

If I can get them to marry one another, would their babies be necromancers too?
Heh, nice, one of the necromancers is a legendary diagnostician, legendary bone doctor, legendary suturer and legendary wound dresser.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:54:01 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54984 on: May 11, 2020, 11:11:26 am »

Heh, nice, one of the necromancers is a legendary diagnostician, legendary bone doctor, legendary suturer and legendary wound dresser.

Sounds like you've got a fake doctor there.

Urist McDoctorNecromancer: Yes, you see, my incredible medical skills have saved this poor soul from death!

Urist McPeasant: Are you... sure? He looks a bit pale.

DocNecro: It's just a side effect of the surgery, he's completely fine, yes.

Urist McZombiePatient: uUuuuggGgGrrrRrrHhh

DocNecro: He's agreeing with me there.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54985 on: May 11, 2020, 11:29:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One year later, after a variety of minor accidents and wound treatments...

Urist McDoctorNecromancer: It is time we had a new mayor! All in favor of me as mayor, speak up!

Urist McMayor: But... we just had an election?

Many Urist McZombie Citizens: uUuuuggGgGrrrRrrHhh!!! (a chorus)

DocNecro: They are agreeing with me there.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54986 on: May 11, 2020, 11:32:47 am »

Sounds like you've got a fake doctor there.

Urist McDoctorNecromancer: Yes, you see, my incredible medical skills have saved this poor soul from death!

Urist McPeasant: Are you... sure? He looks a bit pale.

DocNecro: It's just a side effect of the surgery, he's completely fine, yes.

Urist McZombiePatient: uUuuuggGgGrrrRrrHhh

DocNecro: He's agreeing with me there.

No, he was clearly saying "to blave."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54987 on: May 11, 2020, 02:28:25 pm »

Determined to learn the game, I embarked in a very populated world 256 years deep.  The number is random, but is roughly about where worldgen goes from 'taking a long time' to 'christ do I really need a 4 gigabyte xml dump?'

I picked a smaller dwarven civ from the 11 in the world, and looking at their history theyve been aggressed by goblins and my custom merlocks over the years, not really losing until relatively recently.  In a joint effort, the goblins of the eastern coast and the merlocks of the northern tundra (beyond the great glacier) have teamed up to start punching the dwarves in field battles.

My fort is situated right at the cusp of the northern glacier, overlooking the sinister sea and the serene glacier both.  Completely frozen, and with only a small strip of trees on the far embankment, We will dig down and fortify this narrow pass.

Spoiler: general location (click to show/hide)

This will be my first fort in a few years, outside of some halfhearted attempts.  With no surface food and few trees I will dig down.  The game states that there are aquifers, but that shouldnt be too hard for a old timer who's used to digging out 3 layer deep soil aquifers back when aquifers didn't kindly 'drip' free water.  I need, however, to quickly get to the caverns.

The world is a custom preset, with 100 megabeasts and several hundred semies.  There a several towers, one is even officially at war with a dwarven civ.  I didnt know towers were sovereign enough to actually have diplomacy now.

I have, I should state, 2 copies of every civ that isnt dwarf.  This means that I have 2 seperate elves, goblins, even kobolds who will visit.  I can be at war with 2 seperate goblin civilizations at once.  I can receive (I think) 2 human caravans in summer.  Gonna be funzies.

One of my last real attempts at DF was this and I am terrified that it won't be eventful at all now, especially in comparison to mummies and cavalry humans and necromantic lizards and rot-inducing flame monsters.  But I do see exactly 1 zombie upon touchdown, so fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:30:36 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54988 on: May 12, 2020, 06:41:31 pm »

A siege. One of the scariest goblins send in a long time. It was not their numbers, nor the trolls and beak dogs.

The assault was made by only nine crossbowmen and a thief. With great speed they rushed to the gate. I just barely managed to close the gates in time.

The somewhat slow moving regular groups are much easier to deal with. I guess I brought this on myself when I raided a thieves camp discovered in adventure mode.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54989 on: May 12, 2020, 09:14:00 pm »

Just had someone try to corrupt one of my resident bards and steal an artifact large dwarf bone leggings we stole from the goblins. Their brilliant disguise? A common criminal. They're also good friends with my militia commander who is also my sheriff. Didn't stop her from beating her senseless and breaking her knees. She confessed to the crime and is now crawling around trying to escape my sealed fort while I wait for her to be chained up in the prison. She wasn't here very long so it makes me wonder if they actually became close friends during the beating and interrogation. Some people are into that I guess.

Just got the notification another artifact is missing from it's proper place. Can't seem to find it in the menu so they must have gotten it and escaped before the theft of the leggings was noticed and the lockdown put in place. I don't know the translated name so I can't dispatch the artifact hunters. Oh well we've still got dozens.

Also in artifact related news we stole from the kobolds the best named artifact I've seen in a while. An iron crossbow named Bloodfinder.
Pages: 1 ... 3664 3665 [3666] 3667 3668 ... 3836