Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3666 3667 [3668] 3669 3670 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788908 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55005 on: May 18, 2020, 04:02:18 pm »

I wonder if this is like food preferences, where some bit of information is hidden, and your dwarf worships the same god twice but worships different spheres, that may be conflicted in some way.

Who is this god, Kogsak Defensetower?
"Kogsak Defensetower is a deity of the Gates of Bridging. Kogsak most often takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with fortresses."

During worldgen, He also turned a dozen dwarves and goblins into vampires and werecreatures.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55006 on: May 18, 2020, 04:08:26 pm »

My militia commander has been unhappy because of the good ole 'replace armor' military designation and the dwarves refusing to haul the dead semi-mega into the corpse stockpile.  Every time she walks by it she seems to be reminded that it murdered a furnace worker and is horrified

So how can I cheer her up in the new version without resorting to making a premature waterfall?  What are ways to revert this 3 season 'long term stress' she has?  Mind you, she's still walking around with one sock and a helmet on and nothing else....
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55007 on: May 18, 2020, 06:02:06 pm »

Spoiler: Previous Post (click to show/hide)
Update:
The fort is going quite well. The majority of what I'll need is dug out, the undeadsplosion is only tentatively taking over the surface and caverns, and, most notably, a final wave of migrants was able to get into the fortress mostly unharmed!

The migrant wave was particularly terrifying, as all of the migrant pets got turned into zombie thralls. Two of the migrants bravely sacrificed themselves to get the others in through the entry hatch: one, a miner who was the last dwarf on the map, and the other, a peasant who also got thralled, yet kept fighting the thrall animals (minus one, who the miner fought). Sadly, both lost their lives (perhaps not sadly in the case of the thrall!), and the miner was knocked unconscious and was unable to escape after everyone had gotten in safely. Both went down fighting, and neither will reanimate: if nothing else, this is a testament to dwarven courage.

With the three migrants from the hardcoded waves (the second wave was stopped by a necromancer siege), this brings the fortress population up to 16, a much more reasonable number for basic operations. Unfortunately the fort is suffering from a crippling wood shortage, and so the new migrants won't be able to have beds until I resolve the problem. A risky endeavor into the caverns is likely, since I just need a moderate amount of wood to make beds, buckets, and the small amount of coal I'll need to get magma forges to the fortress proper. In this, I'm both upset and glad that I brought limonite ore with me on embark: I can make the minecarts I need since my embark has no ore, but the cost of the limonite stopped me from bringing more wood.

Speaking of ore, we have an eventual source of steel: the second dwarven caravan, which was unfortunately scattered by undead ice wolves (the last soldier brutally murdered all the wolves, but the caravan was too spooked to continue, or maybe all the merchants were dead). Should I be able to reclaim the surface (a goal that tends to happen in every reanimating embark I've ever seen, heh), or heck, even just sneak some stuff in, I'll have valuable goods the fortress might not otherwise be able to get. The fort does possess a breeding pair of sheep for the sake of not losing dwarves to strange moods that demand yarn (I actually "lost" my last challenge embark to that! My breeding couples both got broken up by yarn moods and then none of their kids wanted to marry), but leather, books, metal, and variety of gems will all be well received within the fort. Reclaiming might be quite difficult thanks to all the thralling dust smeared everywhere. Footwear seemed to protect the migrants as expected (and they didn't track any inside, thank armok), but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55008 on: May 18, 2020, 07:15:11 pm »

Just had my first tree-hugger join Mosshatchets as a citizen.

Therapist says their top role is Herbalist with 91.2% suitability.  However, it also says that they are 50.71% suitable for the role of Woodcutter.

Decisions...

Decisions...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55009 on: May 18, 2020, 07:57:35 pm »

Just had my first tree-hugger join Mosshatchets as a citizen.

Therapist says their top role is Herbalist with 91.2% suitability.  However, it also says that they are 50.71% suitable for the role of Woodcutter.

Decisions...

Decisions...
Almost all units are 50% suitable for a role, but don't let that stop you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55010 on: May 18, 2020, 08:43:35 pm »

Make him a woodcutter and wood burner

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55011 on: May 19, 2020, 12:00:18 am »

Also, I think I'm going to have a couple of dead goblins on my hand pretty soon.

Both are flashing hunger arrows.  There's plenty to eat, but they both refuse to get anything.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55012 on: May 19, 2020, 12:04:31 am »

goblins dont eat.  dont have to, at least.

unless youve modded them.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55013 on: May 19, 2020, 12:18:16 am »

goblins dont eat.  dont have to, at least.

unless youve modded them.

Not even long-term residents?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55014 on: May 19, 2020, 12:21:55 am »

Spoiler: . (click to show/hide)

unless theres some devilry, yes?  I admit to not having played the newest versions long enough to know by experience.  I have half a mind to murder any nondwarf who comes to my fort.

P: Goblins can eat bone or meat.  they can drink, but probably like vampires, wont satiate their desires because they have no need.
PKs DF Mod!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55015 on: May 19, 2020, 04:58:44 am »

An aquifer that had been providing water for years suddenly just went dry.  I didn't even know that could happen.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55016 on: May 19, 2020, 08:28:44 am »

An aquifer that had been providing water for years suddenly just went dry.  I didn't even know that could happen.

Is it a light aquifer? I've read that water from those can evaporate quite rapidly.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55017 on: May 19, 2020, 08:36:27 am »

aye, the best use of light aquifer i have found is to make a 'basin' where you snake 1 tile wide tunnels (ramps if its multi-layered) through the aquifer from below.  The basin is usually little more than a 1-2 tile wide and few tile tall tunnel with floodgates gating itself.  Narrow tunnel are key to prevent evaporation.  Tall tunnels work better to store more water than width.

The floodgates can be pulled once the basin fills up, and the released into you resivor proper.  The trick ive noticed is to be mindful of the design and capacity of your resivor.  too much surface area per basin and youll end up with evaporation.
PKs DF Mod!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55018 on: May 19, 2020, 12:07:30 pm »

My first human caravan arrived.
The human diplomat is a Head Treasurer Necromancer.
I think I should start enclosing my corpse and body part stockpiles

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55019 on: May 19, 2020, 02:08:48 pm »

I've been thinking the same, having it right in my pastures is probably a bad thing considering im playing a civ on an isolated island that was destroyed by and is still occupied by necromancers. They haven't showed up yet, but a tree of death did; it's a tree with venomous thorns, very tough to kill. It slew 8 dwarves before being defeated.

The fort is okayish. It was hard getting food production going because I had to search around for a good spot to make farms and then we ran out of drinks. There's no potable water on the map, I just barely found the caverns at level -63 and haven't spotted any water, and I've got a moody glassmaker about to go insane because there's no sand with which to provide him raw glass.

But other than that, dwarves are working. We have a little bit of steel and copper and a lot of gypsum. Not that we can make plaster without water...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3666 3667 [3668] 3669 3670 ... 3835