Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3672 3673 [3674] 3675 3676 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855185 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55095 on: May 31, 2020, 01:37:15 pm »

Demanding surrender and occupying (press Q - not q - when setting raid type) will also initiate peaceful contact if it fails, which it generally will if you just send one dwarf out yelling at people.

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55096 on: May 31, 2020, 02:41:38 pm »

Six different dwarven civilizations sent caravans in the fall.  Their wagons got into a major traffic jam right by the depot and they all fell apart.

Had to retire a fort for that reason. Before my bookkeper vampire days, I had a diplomat platoon where I kept unhappy dwarves traveling to farthest reaches of the world and demanding tributes, in hopes of someone just beating their unarmed asses.

No turns out they just politely refuse and send a caravan the next year.
So sending dwarves to demand tribute is a peaceful way to initiate contact with other civilizations? Interesting...

If it's a small squad and not particularly well armed, basically plays out as " Demanded tribute but refused ", if they are armed to the teeth and if location is small they actually come back with tribute.

For the record, loving the human traders at the moment, when they actually send a liason to ask for trade agreements, they bring only the stuff I asked for. No -jute thong-s.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55097 on: May 31, 2020, 11:22:37 pm »

It says something about dwarfish culture that their tried-and-true means of initiating peaceable contact with neutral nations... involves sending a lone crazy to wander over and just kinda holler for awhile at whoever's in charge.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #55098 on: June 01, 2020, 12:06:04 am »

I've just had a laugh. The first siege came and my military has dealt with it rather easily. Just one dead, few minor injuries. After the battle, a few dwarves who can't handle stress fell into depression or threw a tantrum. One particular dwarf who can't handle stress at all went back into the battle field and stood there for a few days just looking over the dead bodies and bodyparts of goblins, trolls, beakdogs. After he was done he said "I'm feeling great!" and went back to work, no longer overcome by depression (but still pretty stressed). One recruit, on the other left the barracks, went to the battlefield just to eat his provisions. My gatherers are busy picking bilberries from between the corpses.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55099 on: June 01, 2020, 12:32:08 am »

It says something about dwarfish culture that their tried-and-true means of initiating peaceable contact with neutral nations... involves sending a lone crazy to wander over and just kinda holler for awhile at whoever's in charge.

Reminds me of the classic video, Dwarf Insults Elf.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55100 on: June 01, 2020, 11:02:40 pm »

"Cerol Umbramirror has been appointed to the position of manager of The Abbey of Tubes"

Whatever this means, it happened at Z-Level -29, and I'm at 101...

According to Legends they are a Dwarf settlement, and apart from her dalliances witha  Dwarf Death Zombie and an Elf Cerol Umbramirror is an unremarkable dwarf...

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55101 on: June 01, 2020, 11:25:23 pm »

"Cerol Umbramirror has been appointed to the position of manager of The Abbey of Tubes"

According to Legends they are a Dwarf settlement, and apart from her dalliances witha  Dwarf Death Zombie and an Elf Cerol Umbramirror is an unremarkable dwarf...

If you don't recognize the name it is probably the fort this dwarf migrated from and he/she somehow inherited the position.  If it's not a citizen but a visitor this is even more likely.  Probably that other dwarf died or otherwise lost the position.  You will also see this happen from time to time with visiting royals when they inherit some title.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55102 on: June 01, 2020, 11:37:05 pm »

If you don't recognize the name it is probably the fort this dwarf migrated from and he/she somehow inherited the position.  If it's not a citizen but a visitor this is even more likely.  Probably that other dwarf died or otherwise lost the position.  You will also see this happen from time to time with visiting royals when they inherit some title.
I can't see this person at all in Dwarf Mode. The lowest I've dug is 80, and when I hit the zoom button it takes me to -29. So whomever this person is, she's 130 levels below my fort and 110 below any of our mine shafts. The only people I've seen on the map besides the starting seven are a couple Kobold thieves. Also curiously, the Abbey of Tubes is a Civ-level entity.

So either I managed to settle on the Mountainhome of the Abbey of Tubes and didn't know it, or I'll be filling out a bug report when I actually have Z-Level -29 explored.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55103 on: June 02, 2020, 12:45:17 pm »

Sounds like it's just an off-site appointment being announced. Those happen sometimes, and it's at least known about. Manager is not a position that ever gets claimed, if your manager dies you have to appoint them, so yeah.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55104 on: June 02, 2020, 02:36:34 pm »

That appointment message might be related to the bug where DF sometimes keeps track of off-site relatives of your immigrant dwarves.

See this thread for further information.

Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55105 on: June 03, 2020, 12:26:04 pm »

One of your victorious squadmates, prolly. After defeat of an off-site. Didnt get the beheaded previous manager msg, by chance?

Just do not send messenger back to that offsite and request that particular dorf be sent back, or it will flip offsite back to its previous civ rulership.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55106 on: June 03, 2020, 01:14:27 pm »

Meet the babies!

One flamethrower please!

edit: The siege has been lift, yet the maggot "babies" have stayed behind.....and they had babies themsleves.
what I want to know is how an experiment with donkeys results in scaled fly larvae

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55107 on: June 03, 2020, 02:05:52 pm »

Well sometimes horses, and I assume donkeys too, get poop in their vulva (some mares have a vulva that extends out too far or is slanted outwards towards the bottom, trapping feces that falls in, its a common problem) and being as they cant get it out, they sometimes get an infection, which may incite flies to lay eggs (only if it progresses to tissue necrosis I'm pretty sure) So a wizard tries to magic a donkey thinking they'd cleaned it thoroughly but accidentally magics the maggots in their butt.

Or they were experimenting on a dead, rotten donkey. That's a possibility.

But an actual in-game explanation would be the rng probably doesn't take into account what the animal used to be.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:13:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55108 on: June 03, 2020, 03:39:32 pm »

Thanks, I hated it. :>
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55109 on: June 03, 2020, 07:41:51 pm »

Good grief Eric. O_o
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext