Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3674 3675 [3676] 3677 3678 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854959 times)

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55125 on: June 04, 2020, 06:26:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the map edge, smooth the stone, then carve a fortification there. Water will drain off the map.

Thanks man, you're a life saver  ;)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55126 on: June 04, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »

Sounds like it's just an off-site appointment being announced. Those happen sometimes, and it's at least known about. Manager is not a position that ever gets claimed, if your manager dies you have to appoint them, so yeah.
This sounds right.

These don't:
That appointment message might be related to the bug where DF sometimes keeps track of off-site relatives of your immigrant dwarves.

See this thread for further information.

This happened on 23 Slate. The first immigrant wave did not arrive until 4 Malachite.

Altho it was announced at the top left corner in the lowest Z-Level, as those do, so I do buy "related."

One of your victorious squadmates, prolly. After defeat of an off-site. Didnt get the beheaded previous manager msg, by chance?

Just do not send messenger back to that offsite and request that particular dorf be sent back, or it will flip offsite back to its previous civ rulership.

I got one squad. They have shields but no weapons yet.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55127 on: June 04, 2020, 09:26:45 pm »

Interogated a turkey gobbler. He was cagey... LOL. no. He did talk, tho. Tried a named cat, same. They answer just like dorfs. Have any of you ever had a pet working for a crimelord?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55128 on: June 05, 2020, 12:23:00 pm »

I didn't even realize that could happen.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #55129 on: June 05, 2020, 12:59:09 pm »

The cat king climbs with sharpened claws
The turkey tries to turn the key
But most of all I fear
The daring dog with daggers drawn.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55130 on: June 05, 2020, 01:33:15 pm »

So, I built the waterfall drain on the first cave and after some time, I started mining out into the upper lake. Little did I know that little dwarven child decided to play just in the channel while it was filling up with water, the entrance already flooded shut. Urgh...

I decided to cancel further mining out the connection from lake to waterfall to halt the amount of water filling in. At the same time, I ordered the construction of a small tunnel leading out of the semi-flooded depths with highest priority, but things wouldn't go the way I wanted to...

In all the chaos that ensued, my best miner lost his pickaxe. He's running around as we speak looking for his equipment. Luckily, the tavern keeper is there to pick up the slack, though I feel like he's kinda slo-

Dabbling. Miner. Hurray. Well, kiddo, better learn to swim because no matter how much you play pretend down there, it won't get drier.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55131 on: June 05, 2020, 08:13:30 pm »

Six giant tortoise men wandered by and were attacked by two dogs stationed at the entrance. The dogs were smashed into meat cakes and fortunately, no dwarfs became involved in the fight. The tortoise men seem to like this entrance and have been there for about six months, watching the dwarfs from the safety of their shells. So, an uneasy peace with the great beasts has been established.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #55132 on: June 05, 2020, 11:10:59 pm »

Many projects going on simultaneously:

Isn't there a problem with breeding egg-laying grazers because of their need to incubate and to graze? They can't do both at the same time, so they're forced to get off the nest and the eggs don't get the warming time they need to stay alive.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55133 on: June 06, 2020, 01:17:25 am »

2. I decided fighting a fire breathing forgotten beast
Do not fight fire breathing creatures near anything that burns.
Cavern moss will burn. Caverns are not a good place to fight those.
Dwarves can block and dodge firebreath. They are helpless against fire on their square.

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55134 on: June 06, 2020, 09:52:12 am »

Do not fight fire breathing creatures near anything that burns.
Cavern moss will burn. Caverns are not a good place to fight those.
Dwarves can block and dodge firebreath. They are helpless against fire on their square.

Yeah, I noticed that a bit late, thankfully my 2 marksdwarf squads did most of the work. Before reverting due to too many losses, I also tried letting the beast move upwards into the fort, but the stairway was a really big problem: The beast could just blast fire on one level, then go down 1 more into security so it was safe from my dwarves. It would take 1-2 dwarves down, then go down again. So all in all, fighting it in the first cavern was the safest bet.

Also, there seems to be a problem with fire breath and stairs, which makes my whole game lag intensely. Not sure what it is.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:02:59 am by Shdorsh »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55135 on: June 06, 2020, 12:56:18 pm »

the solution is an actual arena build of stone in your cavern.  bonus points for flooding it with ankle deep water and inlaying it into the ground so you can seal the bastard away
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55136 on: June 06, 2020, 01:37:50 pm »

A visiting goblin dancer petitioned for citizenship, and it was approved:

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55137 on: June 07, 2020, 03:03:28 am »

I got a four zombie siege in late spring or early summer. Didn't know that was possible. My seven starter dwarves are woefully unprepared. Is there any way to turn this into a victory?

I cheesed and copied the save to give in to the siege and try an armoured reclaim (since hopefully most of the equipment will stop be hanging around). How many attempts do you think it will take before I succeed? I'm taking bets.

edit: apparently zombies don't move in when they win sieges. Sad dorf.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:17:21 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55138 on: June 08, 2020, 07:13:01 pm »

I just noticed that, despite having set the tavern to stock only 1 goblet, 3 dwarves are now simultaneously serving drinks.  I guess if goblets are dropped on the floor in the tavern, they use those too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55139 on: June 10, 2020, 05:24:42 am »

I'm sure he was
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3674 3675 [3676] 3677 3678 ... 3836