Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3686 3687 [3688] 3689 3690 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841363 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55305 on: July 28, 2020, 09:17:19 am »

Wouldn't a chained named animal work just as well?

Without the artifact windows, the poor defenseless animal would just be a sitting duck.

heh
I got that. Am still chuckling. Eschar, good one. hehe. I think we found a goose that lays golden eggs.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55306 on: July 28, 2020, 09:15:20 pm »

I've taken that chained animal idea for myself. But instead of using them as witnesses to protect artifacts, I've been using them as defenses against the undead. Hopefully now that I can end their pitifully small attacks the day they start I should be getting some migrants. Also, I've come up with an idea! Since most of these undead are armed and armored soldiers and will soon come in much greater numbers, I've taken to mass-producing cages and setting up a great many cage traps. I already have about 2 dozen zombies, a few experiments, and a necromancer. I'm thinking about making an arena where they'll all be released as my first defensive line against the clowns. But I also don't want to have to deal with zombie clowns... Two questions, are undead clowns immune to magma, and how many zombies/necromancers should I have to try and balance it so that they ultimately lose but kill most of the clowns? I'm worried that when they start reviving fire-breathing Bozos that it'll start snowballing too fast in their favor.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55307 on: July 29, 2020, 01:01:38 am »

Nothing really special. I just have an insane countess who is naked (like the rest of my fort), who attacked a cat and threw a duck's egg at a turkey, before she killed it.

And she's still trying to kill the cat.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:10:21 am by ArrowheadArcher »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55309 on: July 29, 2020, 06:27:54 pm »

Without the artifact windows, the poor defenseless animal would just be a sitting duck.

heh
:D This.  This right here is why I read the thread every single week.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55310 on: July 30, 2020, 04:07:22 pm »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55311 on: July 31, 2020, 08:16:16 pm »

Did that cat she was bashing on, live or die?

Knutor has started worshipping Vjek, God of Adv World Generation.

Tonight, I am rolling some long histories, to obtain size stats on a 1000+ Zombie Dragon(ZD). Its a titan that sometimes appears. Last one died in Legends, at yr5. Bleh! Dragons are the weakest rampagers of all Titans, until they mature.

When I first spotted the ZD in historic entity list, I thought a Necromancer had it as an exotic mount, but it was a Titan dragon, not a cave dragon. An unknown force created it. Has anyone else seen these? Had nothing to do with Necromancers or towers.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55312 on: July 31, 2020, 10:30:39 pm »

Those combat logs are ridiculous!  The countess threw a duck egg at a turkey... among other gems like that

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55313 on: August 02, 2020, 09:09:54 pm »

Did that cat she was bashing on, live or die?

Knutor has started worshipping Vjek, God of Adv World Generation.

Tonight, I am rolling some long histories, to obtain size stats on a 1000+ Zombie Dragon(ZD). Its a titan that sometimes appears. Last one died in Legends, at yr5. Bleh! Dragons are the weakest rampagers of all Titans, until they mature.

When I first spotted the ZD in historic entity list, I thought a Necromancer had it as an exotic mount, but it was a Titan dragon, not a cave dragon. An unknown force created it. Has anyone else seen these? Had nothing to do with Necromancers or towers.

It did. It was just mangled a bit. It later helped in goblin siege counterattack, with help of the human caravan.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55314 on: August 02, 2020, 09:12:02 pm »

heh
:D This.  This right here is why I read the thread every single week.

heh
I got that. Am still chuckling. Eschar, good one. hehe. I think we found a goose that lays golden eggs.

I'm honored.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55315 on: August 02, 2020, 10:08:54 pm »

After having two catastrophic werebeast tavern attacks in my last two forts I have finally stopped one(I think), There weren't even any casualties other than everyone in the tavern, my relations with the humans(I don't think they like me caging their merchant up and dumping him into a 1x1 danger room), the sanity of all the dwarves that have to clean up the mess(or more likely just drink in the blood vomit and limbs), and the sanity of the 26 soldiers who had to "clean up the mess"(I don't think they like being told to kill werebeasts in non-werebeast form).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55316 on: August 02, 2020, 11:47:27 pm »

After having two catastrophic werebeast tavern attacks in my last two forts I have finally stopped one(I think), There weren't even any casualties other than everyone in the tavern, my relations with the humans(I don't think they like me caging their merchant up and dumping him into a 1x1 danger room), the sanity of all the dwarves that have to clean up the mess(or more likely just drink in the blood vomit and limbs), and the sanity of the 26 soldiers who had to "clean up the mess"(I don't think they like being told to kill werebeasts in non-werebeast form).
He was only a lad, you really couldn't blame him...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55317 on: August 03, 2020, 12:25:48 am »

He was only a lad, you really couldn't blame him...

At least you don't have to deal with things not getting done. As of right now, there's a corpse of a ewe that needs clean up. It's in the up and down stairway, but no dwarf has decided to pick it up; everybody's too busy with workshop orders and military I guess. There are no free haulers in my fort. My fort's max pop cap is like 14. It's going to double every 10 years, and I'm going to have like visotrs in my fort after that. It's weird, but my PC is garbage so I don't have much of a choice.   

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55318 on: August 03, 2020, 02:03:47 am »

Playing a human fortress where I modded mining and masonry skill gain to %50 of their normal speeds. This is sort of an experiment on nerfing skill gains in general, but also a sort of an acknowledgement that humans are less prepared for the rigors of deep mining. I have barely noticed the effects.

Anyways, here is a .gif of my walled village:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have constructed apartments hugging the brook to the northeast, a crude tavern with a walled garden in the southwest, and next up is a temple to the god of gambling. Which is hilarious because I just watched this movie. I can't help but imagine my fantasy civilization has begun to worship Chow Yun-Fat. As we all should.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55319 on: August 03, 2020, 02:17:04 pm »

i feel like 75% or more is appropriate.

i feel like humans are only just starting to use shafts in their mining, the majority of human mining being drift.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3686 3687 [3688] 3689 3690 ... 3836