Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3690 3691 [3692] 3693 3694 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787875 times)

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55365 on: August 18, 2020, 02:32:27 pm »

The visitors that Bridgehammer's tavern "The Devourer of Coal" manages to attract are usually just criminals, necromancers or results of necromancer activities. The overseer pays way to little attention to them and their intentions, but one of them caught his attention: Cerol Sinsotdodók, "Cerol Knightedclasped Clawclasps", a stark raving mad necromancer, entirely naked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know what happened to her or if she already arrived in her current condition, but it looks like it either happened before she entered the map or very soon after as she hasn't spoken to anyone in Bridgehammer.

The legends until 250 are somewhat interesting, however: She was born in -1, has no relatives and she wants to rule the world. In 53, she became a countess. Later, she got on the usual slippery necromancer slope: becoming obsessed with her own mortality, learning the secrets of life and death, teaching the secrets of life and death, settling in a tower, writing a ton of books.

One of the books sounds particularly interesting: In 192, Cerol created the book "Cerol Knightedclasped Exposed" which sounds like some self-incrimination. I seriously want to get my hands on this book. It's been stored in the tower of Portalentrance since 192, but the site government seems to have changed in the last seven years; it's now governed by "The Respectful Natures", about which the legends tell nothing more than that it has had two human members of whom one has already died.
(How embarrassing; I got the wrong Cerol; the captain of the guard still managed to interrogate the stark raving mad necromancer who confessed assuming a false identity.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:16:03 pm by rostbot »

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55366 on: August 18, 2020, 02:53:41 pm »

Dear migrants, welcome to Bridgehammer.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55367 on: August 18, 2020, 02:56:18 pm »

Been having my entire fort smoothed out and more workshops dug. Everyone's extremely busy. The only weapon/armor metals we have are copper and silver from tetrahedrite. This fort was only meant to test some interactions, and that's all it's going to survive long enough to do, it seems. No invasions yet, but they come...

I got an engravers guild though. 10 engravers now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:57:56 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55368 on: August 18, 2020, 03:33:07 pm »

I got an engravers guild though. 10 engravers now.

Yeah, enable engraving to improve their mood, end up with an engravers guild demanding a guild hall...

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55369 on: August 18, 2020, 03:36:34 pm »

My booze problem was a lack-of-barrels problem. It was solved with much fiddling because the dummies insisted on instantly claiming every barrel for the meat stock-piles. There was also a minor issue with 150 chicks of various sorts, but that is pretty much solved.

As for the tower, it is not 10 stories above the waves yet, but all five z-levels between the surface and the black sand layer were successfully mined out. The ice encrusting the bottom layer was smoothed, and it was very pretty. Unfortunately that did not count as a construction, so the nanosecond the ocean unfroze I got an entire 40-40 floor with salt water at roughly 2/7, which promptly cascaded down the stairway. I did plan for some leakage so I simply locked the doors. I suspect that I will be able to use the stairs again fine, but I will probably have to mine some.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55370 on: August 18, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »

the sludge melted my dwarves

i just want to settle on an evil land without instadeath pls

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55371 on: August 18, 2020, 06:43:45 pm »

Turn down evil rain, and if you really want evil weather, turn up evil fog.

Evil rain is much harder to avoid than fog.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55372 on: August 18, 2020, 06:44:15 pm »

the sludge melted my dwarves

i just want to settle on an evil land without instadeath pls
If you're ok with a little Deus Ex Machina, I suggest The Biome Manipulator

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55373 on: August 18, 2020, 08:00:14 pm »

A Goblin Seige turned up four Days into Winter.

As it is Winter, Whisperorbs is in Lockin.  After the last Time, We are not opening Our Visitors Entrance.

If they are still Outside in Spring, We shall deal with them then.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55374 on: August 19, 2020, 01:30:06 pm »

Kiná Laslemthran, Human Criminal has transformed into a werefox!

... in Bridgehammer's busy tavern.

I cannot believe how well that went. Three of the military dwarfs were in the vicinity and managed to put this thing down without any deaths or, as it seems, injuries. Now let's see what will happen next full moon. No one has been bitten by the werefox, but it had been bitten by a swordsdwarf.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:37:16 pm by rostbot »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55375 on: August 19, 2020, 01:51:39 pm »

If that's true, you're fine. You can bite werecreatures all day long and not get infected.

The danger is the bites from the thing itself that got missed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55376 on: August 19, 2020, 10:07:50 pm »

My dorfs have been plagued by these Night's Wolfs, with over 50 of them which then proceeded to just hang around and breed, increasing their number to maybe 75 or so.  Sometimes they would make a dash to enter the tower and dwarfs were sent to kill them every time, usually easily. But they wouldn't leave.  After losing 2 dwarfs to these scorpion experiments with that poor strategy, I constructed a trap entrance with a chamber to fill with magma, but after 1 or 2 of them went in, that was it... the rest ignored the entrance.

Their poisonous stingers were deadly, but my dwarfs all were covered head-to-toe with steel & iron armor.

It was time for an open war with the 20 left near the tower (many others were far away in a group).

My squad of 5 Swordmasters was sent out to do battle, now all with steel breastplates, greaves, and the works.  Two valiant dwarfs perished, one to poison, and one having his helm ripped off by a pincer and head-kicked to death.

But that group of Night's Wolfs was finally exterminated.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:09:32 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55377 on: August 20, 2020, 03:48:13 am »

That is a brutal combat log - getting stung so hard in the head, the skull was chipped, then having venom injected to the point where the neck starts to tear apart... The stuff of nightmares.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55378 on: August 20, 2020, 04:28:05 am »

(edited highlights, but chronologically in order)

Fairly normal fort, set in the hills on the outskirts of dwarven civilisation, near a few frendly goblins, and just in range for the warring elves to send the odd ambush perfect for training the military. So I thought I'd set up my first library. We've just survived a loyalty cascafe caused by the former mayor being unable to finish a strange mood. Maybe education could help prevent future pointless infighting?

Code: [Select]
Sodel Unibthîkut, Goblin Scholar frozen ghoul is visiting.
Wow, that's really interesting! Surely the peaceful nature of academia can help my dwarves to understand how to get along with people of different opinions, temperatures, races and livingness?

Mörul Imushital, Fisherdwarf is throwing a tantrum!
Ah, the civil war has cast a long shadow. Some, sadly, can't let go of their anger. Nothing that our guardsdwarves can't keep under control...

Bookcase toppled by Mörul Imushital, Fisherdwarf.

Bookcase toppled eh? Well he must be in the Library...

The fisherdwarf misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!
Guards? Guards!!!

The fisherdwarf punches the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the right lower leg with his right hand, bruising the muscle through the (alpaca wool robe)!
The fisherdwarf punches the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the left lower arm with his right hand, bruising the muscle through the (reindeer leather cloak)!
The fisherdwarf punches the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the left hand with his right hand, bruising the muscle through the (pig leather left mitten)!
The force bends the left wrist!
The fisherdwarf punches the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the right lower arm with his right hand, bruising the skin through the (reindeer leather cloak)!

Maybe he'll just laugh it off?

The goblin scholar frozen ghoul stands up.
The bone doctor attacks the goblin scholar frozen ghoul but He jumps away!
The militia commander misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul grabs the militia commander by the left lower arm with his right lower arm!
The stray keet misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the militia commander in the left foot with his left hand, but the attack is deflected by the militia commander's ≡iron high boot≡!
The militia commander misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!

Alternatively, he'll just strike out and attack our general. At least he's armoured!

Meanwhile, Mörul continues his crusade against education. I guess he really doesn't like books?

The stray keet snatches at the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the right lower leg with her first toe, right foot, bruising the skin through the (alpaca wool robe)!
The buck rabbit scratches the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the left hand, bruising the skin through the (pig leather left mitten)!
The stray keet snatches at the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the left upper arm with her first toe, left foot, bruising the skin through the (reindeer leather cloak)!
The stray water buffalo calf misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!
The buck rabbit misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!

The animals decide to pile in. I'm not sure why there's a water buffalo in the library, but so long as it's being quiet, it isn't breaking the rules

The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the buck rabbit in the right front paw with his left hand, but the attack glances away!
Rabbit Jackie Chan decides to showboat his kung fu skills.

The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the buck rabbit in the right rear leg with his left hand and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
The buck rabbit gives in to pain.
Tulon Kizbizkilrud, Buck Rabbit (Tame) has been found dead.

...with predictable results

The goblin scholar frozen ghoul grabs the soap maker by the head with his right upper arm!
The soap maker misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the soap maker in the left lower arm with his right hand, bruising the muscle through the (giant cave spider silk cloak)!
The force pulls the left elbow, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the muscle!
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul throws the soap maker by the head with The goblin scholar frozen ghoul's right upper arm!
The soap maker slams into an obstacle!

The scholar turns his attention back to the two-legged residents, despatching the weaker ones with brutal force.

The axedwarf punches the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the right hand with her right hand, bruising the muscle through the (pig leather right mitten)!
More of the military shows up and decides that using weapons is just not good manners.

Urist Thukkanzas, Soap Maker: I've been wounded.  No, that's not annoying.
Mörul Imushital, Fisherdwarf: Gruesome wounds!  Ahhhhhhh!  No!
Tirist Kodustuth, Gem Setter: I've been injured badly.  This leaves me so shaken.

The fight is surrounded by the screams and shouts of the wounded.

The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the stray lamb in the right front hoof with his left hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the stray lamb in the head with his left hand and the injured part collapses!
The stray lamb has been knocked unconscious!
The Stray Lamb (Tame) has been found dead.
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the stray keet in the head with his left hand and the injured part explodes into gore!
The Stray Keet (Tame) has been found dead.
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the dog in the head with his left hand and the injured part collapses into a lump of gore!
Urist Nishedëm, Dog (Tame) has been found dead.

More animal casualties of this pointless bipedal conflict. Still, if you're going to go, "head punched off by a white walker" is a lot cooler than "turned into meat and minced together with acorns"

The goblin scholar frozen ghoul punches the peasant in the head with his right hand, bruising the muscle through the x≡goose leather hood≡x!
The force pulls the neck, tearing apart the fat and bruising the muscle and tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!
The peasant falls over.

'Tis but a flesh wound...

Mörul Imushital, Fisherdwarf: I toppled something over.  I'm so regretful.
Mistêm Zonvutok, Peasant has been found dead.

They say it's better to regret things you did than regret what you didn't do, but I think Mörul might disagree

The dwarf stonecrafter necromancer gestures!
The dwarf axedwarf cold ghoul shudders and begins to move!
The dwarf cold ghoul shudders and begins to move!
The dwarf farmer cold ghoul shudders and begins to move!
The dwarf cold ghoul shudders and begins to move!
The dwarf weaponsmith cold ghoul shudders and begins to move!
The dwarf stonecrafter necromancer gestures!
Reindeer bull skeleton shudders and begins to move!
Tulon Kizbizkilrud's corpse shudders and begins to move!
Vucar Cattenkifed has become a Dwarf cold ghoul.

A passing necromancer thinks that what this fight needs is more undead! I'm not sure that's such a great idea...

The peasant punches reindeer bull skeleton in the upper body with his right hand, but the attack glances away!
Reindeer bull skeleton kicks the gelder in the right hand with his right rear hoof, bruising the fat through the (cave spider silk right mitten)!
The dwarf cold ghoul misses the goblin scholar frozen ghoul!
The goblin scholar frozen ghoul attacks the dwarf cold ghoul but He jumps away!
The axedwarf hacks the axedwarf in the upper body with her (iron battle axe), but the attack is deflected by the axedwarf's ≡iron breastplate≡!
The bookbinder bites reindeer bull skeleton in the right front hoof, but the attack glances away!
The bookbinder latches on firmly!

It's now a total melee of undead, dwarfs, pets and military. No-one has a clue who is on what side. 'Side' barely has a meaning at all.

The axedwarf hacks the goblin scholar frozen ghoul in the head with her (iron battle axe) and the injured part is cloven asunder!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The XX(goose leather head veil)XX breaks!
The (iron battle axe) has lodged firmly in the wound!

Finally one of the axedwarves remembers that they're holding a weapon, and uses it effectively. Hopefully this will all be over soon...

The axedwarf hacks the scholar in the upper body with her (iron battle axe), tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the heart through the X(cave spider silk cloak)X!
A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack!

Unfortunately it turns out she's even less of a fan of learning than Mörul !

Goden Imushnëlas, Dwarf cold ghoul cancels Seek Infant: Too injured.
There are no winners...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55379 on: August 20, 2020, 10:16:42 am »

I'm on year 6 of a fort in a Large Region map world which was originally genned to 300 years.  I pumped the number of available civilizations to 60 or 80(can't remember off the top of my head but a fair bit more).  Mega, Semi-Mega Beast, and Titan numbers doubled.  And I lowered the metal availability down a bit, and capped site population at 5000(to keep performance fairly stable should I do adventure mode in this world at some point).

When I first started there was 1 dead dwarf civ available to play as, two which had pops lower than 200, and 6 dwarf civilizations with 1000+.  Of those the two civilizations I was looking at playing most were the 2 nearly dead civs, The Armor of Elevation and The Glaze of Kindling.  My first inclination was to do The Armor of Elevation cause it's the less silly name, but before making a choice I fired up Legends viewer just to get a broad idea of each civilization.

Apparently there's an Undead Dwarf civilization in my world, The Greater Diamonds, which have been essentially Borging the Southeastern section of this map.  It boasts a population well over 15k between all of it's animated undead members and few remaining living ones.  They've completely wiped out 2 Dwarven and 2 Elven civilizations, are at war with the previously mentioned civs, among a few others.  Essentially a story hook, and a classic fantasy trope at that, and it gets better.

Of the two civilizations, The Glaze of Kindling was also at war with an Elf civilization, 2 Goblin civilizations, a group of undead Goblins and another group of Undead Dwarves.  Each time The Glaze of Kindling was the defending party, so for whatever reason the people of this region have a serious hate-on for this civilization.  Classic underdog story, for sure.  So I set up my starting party, embark to a beach on a peninsula 9 days north of the conflicted area in some Untamed Wilds, chose as their symbol their Goddess of Death and Rebirth, and began promptly began setting up a Lighthouse Abbey to be a sort of "seed fortress" to build up, seek out allies(eventual adventure mode) and train animals for war, and eventually turn the tide against the undead wave about to descend on the rest of the realm and restore balance to the cycle of Death and Rebirth.  I've raided some Goblins, which was my first time using this system, and was pleasantly surprised when they came back with beak dogs, so am now in the process of raiding and pillaging an Elf civ further north which seems outside of the conflict currently hoping for grizzlies or tigers(or their giant equivalents).  Have had 2 giant attacks, one which was carrying a Life and Death Slab(currently vaulted and locked up behind an iron bridge), an elf invasion, and a goblin scouting party hit the abbey, but nothing too serious.

I'll be honest,  I've been rewatching Kruggsmash's videos, so that got me interested in really looking into The Greater Diamonds to get an idea of the "why" of this undead civilization.  It seems it was founded by a female dwarf named Goden Linedinks in the late spring of the year 88.  She's a very old dwarf now, having been born in the year -58, and in a bit of serendipity, she was originally from my chosen civilization, The Glaze of Kindling.  In the year 24 she became mayor of The Blotted Attic, and in another twist, she's a worshipper of the previously mentioned Goddess of Death and Rebirth who granted her The Secrets of Life and Death in the year 39, five years after she became obsessed with her own mortality.  She seems to have held the position of Mayor till the year 88, when the populace became suspicious of the fact that she didn't seem to age, and she promptly fled and founded the tower Glovesystem and began her unholy crusade to fulfill her goal to rule the world.

So now my dwarves have a new goal.  Stopping the tide and protecting the north from this nightmare is no longer enough for The Glaze of Kindling.  Nothing short of a Holy Crusade and eradicating this monster our civilization bred is acceptable, as she has disrupted the cycle of Death and Rebirth, abusing the gift bestowed on her by our Goddess, angering the very gods themselves!
Pages: 1 ... 3690 3691 [3692] 3693 3694 ... 3835