Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3691 3692 [3693] 3694 3695 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844710 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55380 on: August 20, 2020, 03:39:47 pm »

I'm not sure why there's a water buffalo in the library, but so long as it's being quiet, it isn't breaking the rules
That was very entertaining! Also, I'm stealing this for my sigtext.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55381 on: August 22, 2020, 07:34:24 am »

Bridgehammer is the embodiment of mismanagment. It is a miracle that none of its treasures has been stolen yet - or maybe the overseer just didn't notice it.

Let me introduce you to Zuglar Oslanavuz, "Zuglar Woundmine". He is a victim of a dwarfen judicial error. After being sentenced to two years in prison because of the overseer's sheer incompetence, his punishment was "reduced" to a beating, leading to some serious injuries. It seems like poetic justice that one of our doctors used an artifact silver splint, Edodzes Gisek Ottem, "Boredbrand the cobra of sanctums", worth more than 100,000 Urists, to immobilize Zuglars right foot.

Also, adamantine strand sutures...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zuglar ist content after putting on a finely crafted item, a truly splendid item and a an exceptional item, but I don't know if any od those refers to the splint.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:41:14 am by rostbot »

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55382 on: August 22, 2020, 07:36:52 am »

Code: [Select]
Goden Imushnëlas, Dwarf cold ghoul cancels Seek Infant: Too injured.

Damn, I imagine it must be so cool to have an undead parent as a dwarfen kid.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55383 on: August 22, 2020, 05:29:01 pm »

The dwarves of Waywardstakes are currently busy digging out a reservoir and an aqueduct to feed it.

Also, there's a human maceman who keeps coming after a certain artifact (which I already gave to someone else who requested it and therefore no longer have).  I keep using gui/teleport to teleport him into the third cavern (all of the caverns are currently blocked off and will stay that way until I have a properly functioning military and hospital), but he keeps appearing on the surface a couple seasons later.

Any Ideas of what to do with him?  I'd teleport him into the air a few z-levels (actually as many as I can ;) ) above magma, but I haven't found any yet.

Also, I'm currently thinking about using dogs to explore the caverns.  I'm thinking of using gui/teleport to teleport a breeding pair of dogs into the first cavern.  I did something similar in the previous fort using cats.  Unfortunately, the cats didn't move around very much and so it became extremely tedious to use gui/teleport to get them to places I wanted to get a view of.  What did work out a lot better was when I decided to use a dwarf that had failed a mood.  That bugger was running all over the place babbling like an idiot.  My only regret is that I dumped him in magma before he had fully "explored" the third cavern.

Anyways, do you think the dogs will work (or should I engineer a failed mood)?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55384 on: August 22, 2020, 05:47:02 pm »

Put some dogs down there and then use meeting zones to direct them around.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55385 on: August 22, 2020, 06:31:10 pm »

Currently got a dwarven child attempting a mood.

Here she is:

Tosid Konoslisat, "Tosid Brassnotched", Dwarven Child   
"An artisan, their materials and the tools to shape  them!"
Within the last season, she was relieved  remembering  being near to a waterfall.  She was interested  remembering  learning about beekeeping.  She felt enjoyment  after playing make believe.  She was blissful remembering   dining in a legendary dining room.  She was blissful after sleeping  in a very good bedroom.  She felt euphoric due to inebriation.  She was  blissful dining in a legendary dining room.  She didn't feel anything  after seeing a spider monkey's dead body.  She felt enjoyment  remembering  playing with a toy axe.  She was annoyed after  drinking water without a well.  She was relieved being near to a waterfall.   She was blissful remembering  sleeping in a very good bedroom.   
She is the daughter of Kikrost Joinedlances and Al�th Shanklashes. 
She  is a citizen of The Crystalline Irons.  She is a member of The Lovely Dike.  She is a former  member of The Tangled Town.  She arrived at Onulat�s on the 2nd of Felsite in the year 127.   
She is four years old, born on the 28th of Obsidian in the year 123.   
Her hair is clean-shaven.  Her hair is burnt sienna.  Her skin is burnt umber.  Her  eyes are amethyst. 
She is quick to tire, susceptible to disease and very slow to  heal. 
Tosid Konoslisat likes claystone, iron, moss opal, sand pear wood wood,  phantom spider silk, windows, earrings, crutches, sloth bears for their large floppy ears,  persimmon trees for their fruit, kenaf plants for their flowers, the sound of The Amethyst Umber  Snarls and the sight of The Fabulous Silkiness.  When possible, she prefers to consume giant  osprey and wine.  She absolutely detests mosquitos. 
She has a great sense of  empathy, a very good sense of the position of her own body and the ability to focus,  but she has a questionable spatial sense and a lousy intellect. 
Like  others in her culture, she holds craftsdwarfship to be of the highest ideals and celebrates  talented artisans and their masterworks, has a great deal of respect for the law, greatly prizes  loyalty, values family greatly, sees friendship as one of the finer things in life, believes  that honesty is a high ideal, greatly respects artists and their works, really respects those  that take the time to master a skill, deeply respects those that work hard at their labors,  finds merrymaking and partying worthwhile activities, respects fair-dealing and fair-play,  values cooperation, values leisure time, values knowledge and finds nature somewhat disturbing.   She personally finds those that develop skill with weapons and fighting distasteful and  doesn't particularly respect commerce.  She dreams of raising a family.   
She is often inflamed by hatred and easily develops hatred toward things.  She does  not trust others.  She tends to be a little tight with resources when working on projects.  She  tends to avoid any physical confrontations.  She is generally quite confident of her abilities  when undertaking specific ventures.  She prefers to present herself modestly.  She needs alcohol  to get through the working day. 
Overall, she is quite focused with satisfied needs. 

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

What do you think.  Will she go berserk if she fails the mood, or will she be more manageable (i.e. a better "explorer")?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55386 on: August 22, 2020, 10:08:57 pm »

If you use Dwarf Therapist, it will tell you what flavor of insanity they will plunge into when they succumb to stress.  I don't know if it also applies the same to when they fail a mood though.  And I'm not sure how one would get that same insight without Dwarf Therapist.

Currently in my fort, skill gains from military training are leading to excellent reductions in stress.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:10:41 pm by Schmaven »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55387 on: August 23, 2020, 02:26:44 am »

What do you think.  Will she go berserk if she fails the mood, or will she be more manageable (i.e. a better "explorer")?

No form of insanity is good and they are all ultimately fatal.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55388 on: August 23, 2020, 02:02:33 pm »

No form of insanity is good and they are all ultimately fatal.

But on a side note they make excellent "explorers" while their still alive  :P

On a side note:

Reservoir has been dug and filled.  It even included a u-bend with grates.

Wells are under construction (mostly waiting for my mason...).

Soap production has started.

Hospital has been dug out, cleared, and furnished (still gotta fill the chests though), A chief medical dwarf selected, and that goblin with the punctured lung brought to the hospital, and the hospital has started being smoothed.

The hospital has also been designated as a doctor's guildhall (I guess it's a teaching hospital).

Also, I've been having a problem with one of my herbalists.  She's had a couple of tantrums (In one of them she punched the above mentioned goblin causing one of his false ribs to puncture his lung and now he's having trouble breathing). She is now stumbling around obliviously.

Explorer get!  :D

Edit:

Just to clarify, the girl from before successfully completed her mood and is now a legendary stonecrafter (or at least she will be when she turns 12).

Right now I've got a miner who mooded and claimed a forge...

Edit2:

Now I've got a miller stumbling around.

...And a woodcutter hunter for a small creature.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 02:43:17 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55389 on: August 24, 2020, 04:25:07 am »

That one bird monster with a throat bag from MH showed up and started a fire. In a dense forest. And it's spawning Deviljhos like crazy. And now there are burning Deviljhos running around the burning woods. At least burning Deviljhos don't tend to live very long, though the same can be said about burning silkworms and zee bats.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55390 on: August 24, 2020, 12:44:19 pm »

I'm not sure why there's a water buffalo in the library, but so long as it's being quiet, it isn't breaking the rules
Everybody wants a water buffalo!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55391 on: August 24, 2020, 02:08:08 pm »

Because of the nasty 50 "friendly" Night's Wolfs still hanging around and breeding, I haven't had any migrants for about 3 years.
Now the nine 5 year-old children who arrived all at the same time are 11 years... they'll be kind of a substitute migrant wave in a few months  :)

Three plans for eradicating the Night's Wolfs, not sure which to do yet:
1. Moved barracks outside and increased training time for my 4 half-squads to get them over their puking (about 1/2 way to that goal now). Then mount an overland sortie to fight it out to the death.
2. Cave in the mountainside from underneath where the Night's Wolfs are clustered. But I've never done that before.
3. Make a wall around the Night's Wolfs, then pour magma out of the hillside above them into their walled area. Use the abovementioned squads as guards during construction.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:10:08 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55392 on: August 24, 2020, 02:42:00 pm »

Wow, I was just reading those 11-year-olds' personalities.

They have ALL had personality changes, some bad, some okay, due to two things:
1. Conviction of a long-dead corpse of a crime (I won't do that again).
2. Wearing tattered clothing (yes, I did neglect making clothing for years because 3/4 of my adult dwarfs wear military uniforms w/o clothes underneath.

I love this game!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55393 on: August 24, 2020, 03:59:13 pm »

The inhabitants of Bridgehammer might mistake the "Devourer of Coal", the local tavern, for a legendary dining hall, but the only outsiders it tends to attract are criminals and spies.

This is the current list of guests; very few use their actual name, and those who do have been convicted of crimes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can only remember a single visitor ever petition for anything. Everybody else seems to come with questionable intentions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55394 on: August 25, 2020, 08:59:09 pm »

I started my first fort in ages.

Some cool shit happened, though. I named a dwarf after myself in a fit of completely justified vanity. I made her the militia commander in the hopes that she would found a strong military.

I also had my first experiences with guilds and sects in this game. I had a sect founded that worships LAW. OATHS. AND. THUNDERRR (use your mind here for sound effects). This is rad as fuck so I built this sect an inaccessible-from-the-outside-of-the-fort monastery on top of the highest peak, which overlooks the caldera of a volcano. By coincidence, Dunamis was a candidate for leader of the sect.

I've decided that they are going to live in seclusion (burrows, raising bridges) with the religious goal of mastering every single weapon in the game. This will require imports.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3691 3692 [3693] 3694 3695 ... 3836